Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Getting old.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting old.  (Read 8292 times)

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
Getting old.
« on: October 20, 2009, 08:16:54 PM »

I've been an athlete for years, but just recently whenever I would go running I would get some nasty pains in my right knee after the run. The last time I ran I went to the beach and saw that my right foot points outward like a duck, while the left foot is completely straight. I went to a physical therapist and turns out I have a rotated tibia! Who knew? He says that the problem likely has been getting worse due to intense training & age and that I would have eventually needed surgery if I would have tried to ignore it.  So now I'm going twice a week to therapy to get the leg straightened out and line it up to my knee joint.

My reason for posting this is because I'm taking this as the first sign that I'm getting old, and my body can't take ALL of the punishment I give it. I'm wondering if any of you older geezers had a similar moment in life.
Pocho

Bill Brasky

Re: Getting old.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

My lower back feels like its got sand between the gaps of the back bone.  Sometimes I can crack it with a nice twist, it'll go away.  Its not one of those pains where people go GAH! and look like they got electrocuted.  I've had that before, from various injuries, completely different.  This just makes me feel like a creaky old man.  But at 37, I guess old age comes on cats paws, a little thing here, a little thing there.  To combat it, I'm doing some low-impact stretching without cracking the vertebra.  It seems to help.  I've been sitting to work for the last seventeen years, so I blame that. 

If you sit at work and home, like most people, get a good chair.  The best you can afford.  Get one for work, too.  If they won't pay for it, buy it yourself.  People spend $2,000 on a bed, and $65 on a chair, and spend twice as much time in the chair.  Does not compute. 

blackie

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »

I've got a couple gray hairs that I noticed in the last year.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »

At some point, if you are male, chances are your prostrate will enlarge. It'll happen somewhere between 40 and 60, depending on your genetic lottery. And that is when you will know you are getting old and your body will only bother you more and more as you get older, as it deteriorates more and more.
http://men.webmd.com/prostate-enlargement-bph/features/enlarged-prostate-bph-complex-problem

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:33:42 PM »

Heck yeah, though nothing in particular. I'm 38 and have had the 'beetus since I was 12, and it's creeping up on me, I can tell. Smoking isn't helping either.

I sit a lot while working and noticed last year that my feet are getting a little too tingly too fast. A good chair has made an improvement.. I bought one of those bungee chairs for about $220 and I'm loving it.

I've never trained or exercised for anything in particular or on any schedule, used to skate & surf.. now I just have the kids that keep me active.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:52 PM »

Heck yeah, though nothing in particular. I'm 38 and have had the 'beetus since I was 12, and it's creeping up on me, I can tell. Smoking isn't helping either.

I sit a lot while working and noticed last year that my feet are getting a little too tingly too fast. A good chair has made an improvement.. I bought one of those bungee chairs for about $220 and I'm loving it.

I've never trained or exercised for anything in particular or on any schedule, used to skate & surf.. now I just have the kids that keep me active.

Lose some weight.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »

I'm 58, and two hours a day in the gym, mainly lifting. I've been doing it since 30 or so, and am more fit now than at 25. However, I have to admit that the ol' bones are starting to creak a bit. Just for safety's sake, I'm not seeking to add any more plates to the stack at this point, and have been moving more toward cardio.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »

We are the first generation of people who have realistic hope of getting young after we get old.

Transhumanism FTW!

davann

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 10:59:09 PM »

Years of sitting for work and then countless hours at the poker table drinking vast quantities of beer along with smoking a pack a day caught up with me last year. I was in terrible shape. So, I started the P90X program and cleaned up my act very early this year. Gradually built up to being able to keep up with the videos and I feel better then I did at 18 just out of boot and AIT. Exercise for older people is not dangerous unless one pushes themselves to fast.

My hair on my head is going but with the short centurion look that is popular now its not so bad. Although I do hate the extra hair in the nostrils and ears. As I get older my genetic skin condition is getting worse which does suck immensely. Some days my face looks like I spent 10 hours in the blazing sun or have just come off a week of  binge drinking. When I was 20 this condition was only on my eyebrows and only every once in a while.This is a major self esteem killer that I struggle with more and more each year. Now I am just waiting for that age when I stop giving a shit about how I look. 

Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »

We are the first generation of people who have realistic hope of getting young after we get old.

Transhumanism FTW!

Realistic my ass.

DivorceSupportdawtinfo

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 01:16:11 AM »

Sports should not be played after a certain age....but I don't know when that certain age is.

Ask Brett Favre.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 03:24:21 AM »

Transhumanism FTW!

Realistic my ass.

What, are you contractually obligated to die within the next 2-3 decades?   :?

BonerJoe

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 08:34:13 AM »

I found an ear hair last year. Now I have 3. Waiting a couple months to yank them out each time.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:48 AM »

Before you go and get all "allopathic", try a chiropractor to see if they can get the bones back into alignment.

I've got a pinched nerve in my lower back, the result of years of a "sit down" job and then trying to stretch too much in karate class.

http://www.activator.com/

I've been to two of the listed practitioners and they've both been very good.

Yeah, losing the extra weight wouldn't hurt either.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Murkan Mike

• In Exile
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »

Hell yeah the age is catching up with me, I am starting to stop after 4 or 5 beers (Ottingers or Bitburgers) during the week, and 7 or 8 on the weekend.

Last week I had to actually think about whether or not it was worth getting up to put more ice in the glass before pouring in some more highland park.

Turning fifty really sucks!
I'm not a sheep, so....... why do you keep sending me a shepherd?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Getting old.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.