Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  get my coumputer repaired or replace it
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: get my coumputer repaired or replace it  (Read 3187 times)

soliscjw

• this is my pride and joy her name is Kahlan
    • View Profile
    • Just my own webpage
get my coumputer repaired or replace it
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:43:44 AM »

this morning my desktops network adapter got fried during a storm the computer still works fine other than I can not log on to the internet I am on my netbook now but it can not run World of Warcraft which I like to play as well as the bigger screen to watch hulu on

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: get my coumputer repaired or replace it
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »

Sounds like you should just go for a new mainboard that will support the ram you have now, and if you've got AMD a cpu socket that will support your current processor as well as the newer processors, then you could upgrade the cpu later on....
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

blackie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:02:28 AM »

Or if you have a wireless access point, just get a USB 802.11 thingy.

MotorBoatingSOB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:19:59 AM »

Another option: buy a PCI network card for like $10.

newegg.freetalklive.com <--- search for pci network card

ForumTroll

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 01:22:27 AM »

I'd always be worried that the lightning damaged more than the network adapter. I'd just get a whole new computer.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »

I'd always be worried that the lightning damaged more than the network adapter. I'd just get a whole new computer.

Indeed.

But don't buy a Dell or other package deal. Just get the bare essentials. Replacing just the mobo would be good, but at the prices for a "bare bones" system through Newegg or my personal favorite so far http://magicmicro.com/ putting in a mobo just seems like more work than its worth.

Keep in mind that AMD has announced a 6-core Phenom2 for common desktops, and the 12-core for servers is soon to ship, too.

"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

blackie

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:04:58 PM »

Keep in mind that AMD has announced a 6-core Phenom2 for common desktops, and the 12-core for servers is soon to ship, too.
The AMD "Magny-Cours" 12-core processor is already shipping.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »

The AMD "Magny-Cours" 12-core processor is already shipping.

That's what I get for sleeping.

I've got a 4-core Phenom2 and I am very happy with it. Can only imagine what a 12-core would be like.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

soliscjw

• this is my pride and joy her name is Kahlan
    • View Profile
    • Just my own webpage
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 05:19:45 PM »

thanks for the advice i do have an update while the pci card still does not work I installed Unbumtu (sp?) and am able to get online through my wireless with the adapter I bought even though I was unable to install it in Windows 7 I wish I knew why it kept saying device driver not found or the software that came with the wireless adapter would install and not find the wireless usb adapter even after I got the Windows 7 update using my netbook and putting the installer on a external hard drive I am thinking of using Unbumtu as my only OS since having two  OS's prevents me from installing World of Warcraft on the Linux side because of space

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 05:25:21 PM »

Get a bigger hard drive while you're at it. Hard drives are incredibly cheap these days.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »

jesus god 12 core processors.

also 2 TB HDDs are like less than $200 now, make sure to get one of those.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »

thanks for the advice i do have an update while the pci card still does not work I installed Unbumtu (sp?) and am able to get online through my wireless with the adapter I bought even though I was unable to install it in Windows 7

The "out of the box" hardware support in Linux is astoundingly good. I'm not surprised it worked.

Win7 comes on a DVD, I'm having trouble with the number and frequency of problems I hear about hardware support. Just what is on that DVD if not drivers?

I am thinking of using Unbumtu as my only OS since having two  OS's prevents me from installing World of Warcraft on the Linux side because of space

As other folks have mentioned, HD space is cheap now. In fact, I haven't seen anything less that 500GB drives offered in bare-bones machines since 2008.

Still, being a Linux bigot, I can't fault your choice in OS. And if you have Win7 media, keep in mind that Win7 runs just fine on VirtualBox, although super graphical games choke it does allow for those few applications that aren't written for Linux to continue to work for you.

Like NetFlix online streaming, TVU player, PPLive, etc.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »

I could never get my Hauppauge TV stick to work in Ubuntu. That's the primary reason why I stopped using it.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  get my coumputer repaired or replace it

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 31 queries.