Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  FTL Chatroom

Poll

Should Ian/Mark/Guest join the chatroom during the show?

Yes
- 8 (80%)
No
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FTL Chatroom  (Read 1701 times)

orion

• View Profile
FTL Chatroom
« on: November 21, 2009, 09:50:07 PM »

I think they add value to the room as a whole.

Rillion

• View Profile
Re: FTL Chatroom
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »

They do join the chat room as time and interest affords, but it's really hard to chat and put on a radio show at the same time. 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »

I'd like that too, but their time / mental "cycles" are just too valuable to fraternize with the peanut gallery during the show itself.  Plus real-time chat isn't ideal for everyone - it distracts from hearing the actual show during the live hours, different people have time to participate at different times, chat logs aren't routinely exported and thus end up in the memory hole, and so forth.

I do think that FTL should continue to expand itself from just being a radio show to being more of a multimedia experience, which already is the case with Mark's podcast-only interview add-on, related blogs and YouTube videos, and so on - even this very forum (if it wasn't overrun by idiots like me).  What I would like is for Ian & Mark to give this forum a more serious purpose, like by integrating it into the show more.  Perhaps they could do an "online thread of the night" feature where they promote the forum by discussing one noteworthy new thread.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:11:52 PM by Alex Libman »

orion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »

I think even just idling is good enough. How many times has Ian/Mark not known something that we in the chat have been screaming?

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:29:29 PM »

A host not knowing something offhand does not do as much damage to the radio show (and only encourages more callers) as the host who says "hang on a minute, radio audience, I have to read what they're saying in chat (chuckle, that Libman guy always cracks me up)".  :lol:

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 02:13:29 AM »

As nice as it'd be to let them know stuff thru chat, they'd better not distract themselves.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  FTL Chatroom

// ]]>

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 36 queries.