Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  FreeKeene forum has much higher intelligence level than FTL BBS.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: FreeKeene forum has much higher intelligence level than FTL BBS.  (Read 37577 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: FreeKeene forum has much higher intelligence level than FTL BBS.
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »

You can count me in.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »

You can count me in.

Steve is in.

Rumblefish streams on Netflix if you have that, same author. Also by Hinton is Tex, I read that one repeatedly as a kid.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »

You can count me in.

Steve is in.

Rumblefish streams on Netflix if you have that, same author. Also by Hinton is Tex, I read that one repeatedly as a kid.
Downloading the movie, already finished Outsiders and I'm watching it now.  :D  Now I just need to go buy the books.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: GET THE SOC's
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2010, 08:08:04 PM »

You're still riled about this? Get over it man. This thread is like a day old, and that was then, this is now.

Wasn't riled to begin with, at all. It's true that this forum is a gutter, that's why I post here regularly.

I do think a rumble with those Soc's over there would be neat though.

That Was Then, This Is Now= S.E. Hinton book.

I just wanted to work the title in to my post somewhere.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2010, 08:09:38 PM »

You're still riled about this? Get over it man. This thread is like a day old, and that was then, this is now.

Wasn't riled to begin with, at all. It's true that this forum is a gutter, that's why I post here regularly.

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »

The activists at fk are way to busy gettin active to debate you fucks

blackie

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »

Blackie is the bbs drama queen. If you want my inner opinion on him, fire me a pm.
Isn't that against Jew rules or something?

I was being serious, I would like to know if this is against jew rules.

http://www.jewfaq.org/glossary.htm
Gossip
    Gossiping is a serious sin in Judaism. See Speech and Lashon Ha-Ra.

http://www.jewfaq.org/speech.htm

Tale-Bearing

There are two mitzvot in the Torah that specifically address improper speech: Thou shalt not go up and down as a tale-bearer among thy people (Lev. 19:16), and ye shall not wrong one another (Lev. 25:17, which according to tradition refers to wronging a person with speech).

Tale-bearing is, essentially, any gossip. The Hebrew word for tale-bearer is "rakhil" (Reish-Kaf-Yod-Lamed), which is related to a word meaning trader or merchant. The idea is that a tale-bearer is like a merchant, but he deals in information instead of goods. In our modern "Information Age," the idea of information as a product has become more clear than ever before, yet it is present even here in the Torah.

It is a violation of this mitzvah to say anything about another person, even it is true, even if it is not negative, even if it is not secret, even if it hurts no one, even if the person himself would tell the same thing if asked! It is said that the telling of gossip leads to bloodshed, which is why the next words in the Torah are "you shall not stand aside while your fellow's blood is shed." The story of Do'eig the Edomite (I Samuel Chs. 21-22) is often used to illustrate the harm that can be done by tale-bearing. Do'eig saw Achimelekh the Kohein give David bread and a sword, a completely innocent act intended to aid a leading member of Saul's court. Do'eig reported this to Saul. Do'eig's story was completely true, not negative, not secret, and Achimelekh would have told Saul exactly the same thing if asked (in fact, he did so later). Yet Saul misinterpreted this tale as proof that Achimelekh was supporting David in a rebellion, and proceeded to slaughter all but one of the kohanim at Nob.

The person who listens to gossip is even worse than the person who tells it, because no harm could be done by gossip if no one listened to it. It has been said that lashon ha-ra (disparaging speech) kills three: the person who speaks it, the person who hears it, and the person about whom it is told. (Talmud Arachin 15b).

In Jewish law, all things are considered to be secret unless a person specifically says otherwise. For this reason, you will note that in the Torah, G-d constantly says to Moses, "Speak to the Children of Israel, saying:" or "Speak to the Children of Israel and tell them:" If G-d did not specifically say this to Moses, Moses would be forbidden to repeat his words! Nor is there any time-limit on secrets. The Talmud tells the story of a student who revealed a secret that he had heard 22 years earlier, and he was immediately banished from the house of study! (Talmud Sanhedrin 31a)

The gravest of these sins of tale-bearing is lashon ha-ra (literally, "the evil tongue"), which involves discrediting a person or saying negative things about a person, even if those negative things are true. Indeed, true statements are even more damaging than false ones, because you can't defend yourself by disproving the negative statement if it's true! Some sources indicate that lashon ha-ra is equal in seriousness to murder, idol worship, and incest/adultery (the only three sins that you may not violate even to save a life).

It is forbidden to even imply or suggest negative things about a person. It is forbidden to say negative things about a person, even in jest. It is likewise considered a "shade of lashon ha-ra" to say positive things about a person in the presence of his enemies, because this will encourage his enemies to say negative things to contradict you!

One who tells disparaging things that are false is referred to as a motzi sheim ra, that is, one who spreads a bad report. This is considered the lowest of the low.

It is generally not a sin to repeat things that have been told "in the presence of three persons." The idea is that if it is told in the presence of three persons, it is already public knowledge, and no harm can come of retelling it. However, even in this case, you should not repeat it if you know you will be spreading the gossip further.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »

Ahhaaaaa.... I hadn't heard of that title.. thank ya.

Admiral- how are you downloading Rumblefish?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2010, 09:49:52 PM »

Blackie is the bbs drama queen. If you want my inner opinion on him, fire me a pm.
Isn't that against Jew rules or something?

I was being serious, I would like to know if this is against jew rules.

http://www.jewfaq.org/glossary.htm
Gossip
    Gossiping is a serious sin in Judaism. See Speech and Lashon Ha-Ra.

http://www.jewfaq.org/speech.htm

Tale-Bearing

There are two mitzvot in the Torah that specifically address improper speech: Thou shalt not go up and down as a tale-bearer among thy people (Lev. 19:16), and ye shall not wrong one another (Lev. 25:17, which according to tradition refers to wronging a person with speech).

The pasuk says "do not be a talebearer among your people." You're not Jewish.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:20:26 PM by Diogenes The Cynic »
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

blackie

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »

The pasuk says "do not be a talebearer among your people." You're not Jewish.
Now I know why observant Jews are evil.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2010, 10:12:14 PM »

Excellent books. I read them as a kid.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »

www.torrentz.com

It is the ultimate meta-tracker!

Riddler

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »

Dally's in. Who else?

it appears this isn't the first time said blade has been thrust into desktop.
the accute observer will note the small hole in front of blade.....
you may go now

Riddler

« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »

the only place on the FTL website I posted "my boobs" was on the shriners page.

i'm still looking for this mysterious ''shriners'' page...............

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »

i'm still looking for this mysterious ''shriners'' page...............
It's busted. Yay FTL 2.0
http://freetalklive.com/shrine
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  FreeKeene forum has much higher intelligence level than FTL BBS.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.