Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  FreeKeene forum has much higher intelligence level than FTL BBS.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: FreeKeene forum has much higher intelligence level than FTL BBS.  (Read 37622 times)

ForumTroll

Re: FreeKeene forum has much higher intelligence level than FTL BBS.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »

"I should point out that when I talk about trolling the liberty movement, I'm using the term "troll" a bit loosely. That doesn't mean they're all trolls in the traditional sense at the FTL BBS (though I'm sure there are still quite a few that prolly fit the desc). It just means they mostly seem to talk a lot about liberty without doing much. That's the opposite of someone who has uprooted and moved across the country to be an activist."

Yep, they have a stick up their ass.

But this seems to happen to most posters here when they finally moved. "IM BETTER THAN THEM BECAUSE I DID IT WHEEEEEEEE NOW I GET TO BITCH ABOUT IT"

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »

The whole thing is silly. 
I think the funny part is something so silly can cause such drama.  I didn't think of it as bullying, just "stirring turds".  If that makes me a bad person, so bet it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:05:50 PM by WidespreadPanic »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 03:11:22 PM »

I had to speak up.

*Goes to bat for the poor BBS*
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »

Blackie wanted to CALL ME OUT for something I posted on another forum....Congratulations, you earned the title of BBS police!
Actually he's the FSP policeman. Calls out FSP when it is stupid. Easy job.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 03:27:15 PM »

Blackie wanted to CALL ME OUT for something I posted on another forum....Congratulations, you earned the title of BBS police!

But let's admit, often necessary.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 03:35:57 PM »

But And let's admit, often necessary.
ftfy

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »

The whole thing is silly. 
I think the funny part is something so silly can cause such drama.  I didn't think of it as bullying, just "stirring turds".  If that makes me a bad person, so bet it.

Nah. :)  Intent, I think would be more of an indication - and even then, 'good' people often do bad things.  It's part of being human.

Shaw: Good job, read your post.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »

Here's what Shaw wrote at FreeKeene.com.  I'm posting it here for those too lazy to go there to read it. 

*Sigh*

What the FTL BBS is, is both a filter and a lounge. This is what it became, not by design, but by a natural progression of evolution in an authority vacuum.

The Filter -
Liberty minded people, on the whole, are fairly spiky and intolerant to bullshit, and rightfully so. Now, this often leads to a general intolerance that is... less productive. Every damned one of us is subject to this. Most people who know me know I have more than a little enmity toward conspiracy stuff. Everyone has their pet peeves.

However, a large portion, I'd even say the majority of these small annoyances are fairly just.

The BBS is a fortified wall against a lot of that nonsense, because the hammer drops fairly quickly on bullshit and the Alex Jones/Antisemitic/AntiReptilia/nutbag crowd generally goes elsewhere which I think is a net profit to our crowd.

Yes, the hammer drops too easily and often unjustly. A hair trigger comes with vigilance sometimes. I don't know the solution to this, and I won't deny that I'm rather weak in this regard myself.

The result is often a sense of insularity and xenophobia toward new people, and the feeling of having to get through a gang initiation to become one of the cool people.

But it's a dirty job that, in the end, helps people at the more serious places in the freedom community. Without the BBS, I would argue that many of the people who act like jackasses over there would otherwise be here. Consider that. And because the rules are less tolerant of assholery here, the trolls would behave in a more sneaky, insidious way, where they will slowly annoy without breaking any particular forum rules until people hate being here, rather than just running into the room and yelling "COCK LOL" like they do at the BBS.

The Lounge -
This is a big one. Sometimes, people just like to shoot the shit. Sometimes there are very active freedom lovers who don't really want to be quizzed every fifteen minutes about "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THE FREEDOM MOVEMENT LATELY?" and "SO, WHEN ARE YOU MOVING, HUH? HUH? HUH?!?" Sometimes peer pressure is repellent, and being too close to the movement at all times can blind a person to how obnoxious that sort of thing can be.

People who know me, personally, will tell you that I do a LOT for the freedom movement. You would not know that at first glance by my presence on the BBS. You would not know that by anything I do online, apart from Think Twice stuff, which has been on the back burner since the movie began and I've been pulling 16 hour days editing and special effecting.

I want it that way, and so do many other people who are active on the BBS. Some of us aren't interested in public recognition, or propagating the movement in general. People who do that, Like the activists, seem to be doing that just fine. Not everyone is a public speaker. Not everyone is a good debater. Not everyone is willing to get locked up. They have not sinned. They do other things.

I'll use a friend as an object lesson - Where would you guys prefer Jason Osborne - Sitting in a jail cell or doing what he does? What do you think is more productive? Let people use their strengths and stop trying to cram everyone into The Acceptable Mold, where anyone who doesn't fit is the enemy.

Activists in general seem to think that their way is the only way. This is faulty thinking and their intolerance toward people with different methods is frankly anti market. Diversity brings progress.

And some people? They just like posting goofy pictures and having a good time, which, last time I looked, is a good thing for the freedom movement. If you tell everyone that your way is the way to think and live, and you are a bitter miserable person, how many people do you think are gonna jump up and yell "YEAH! I WANTS ME SOME OF THAT! I wanna be pissed off at the state all the time and scream from the top of my lungs about how evil the world is!"

Less hating tyranny and more loving freedom.

Thank you.

Nicely put. 

Txoria

• Bakearen Txoria
  • I am not a number, I am a person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »

もしたくさんの人はロービンさんにいじめをします、多分英語より日本語をしゃべるのほがいいと思います。:|

Arg, Kanji! Use Furigana next time! I only know Hiragana and some Katakana.

I used to be able to transliterate cyrillic too. Maybe I should look into some refreshers.

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »

CRUCIFY ME!

::chops down a tree, fashions a cross, gets some big arsed spikes...er nails...ready::

This way, miss. Don't wanna be late for your crucifixion. :mrgreen:
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »

I used to be able to transliterate cyrillic too. Maybe I should look into some refreshers.

わかりました。いまどう?
- Branden

davann

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 05:05:40 PM »

what's that mean? I don't get it.

Not sure what it translates to but I am not about to trust any provided translation by the original writer.  Looks fishy to me.

Txoria

• Bakearen Txoria
  • I am not a number, I am a person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »

わかりました。いまどう?
ありがとう。

Cependant, ma langue préférée est français. Je l'ai étudié beaucoup.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 05:40:31 PM »

Shaw just said he wants Jason Osborne imprisoned. Film at 11

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »

わかりました。いまどう?
ありがとう。

Cependant, ma langue préférée est français. Je l'ai étudié beaucoup.

I'm not gonna study french simply because it's your preference, pero si habla español, japones o ingles, trabajamos.

edit: ¿Porque problemente hay muchas personas aqui que hablan, español es más mejor que japones quando usar una lingua diferente, verdad?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:56:36 PM by theCelestrian »
- Branden
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  FreeKeene forum has much higher intelligence level than FTL BBS.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 33 queries.