Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Free Talk Live Silver Bar

Poll

Which would you prefer?

Prettier but More Expensive
- 2 (6.5%)
Not as Pretty but Less Expensive
- 26 (83.9%)
Neither. Hookers Only Accept FRNs.
- 3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Talk Live Silver Bar  (Read 13373 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Free Talk Live Silver Bar
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »

How many dollars under spot are these gonna cost us?  :P

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 03:07:06 PM »

How many dollars under spot are these gonna cost us?  :P

I imagine that depends on your stripping talents and how amenable you are to waxing.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »

How many dollars under spot are these gonna cost us?  :P

I imagine that depends on your stripping talents and how amenable you are to waxing.

I was taught by the master, so pretty cheap I'd guess.

Puke

• Sarcasm Overlord
  • FTL Creative Team
  • Rock on!
    • View Profile
    • Dooms Day Device Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »

What about Shire Silver co-branding?

http://shiresilver.com/

Info on co-branding -
http://shiresilver.com/product/co_branding_fee

Silver rounds are great. But a $35 coin can be difficult to use for small stuff, like drinks or food.
Shire Silver cards fit in a wallet and are easy to use value-wise.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:44:42 AM by Puke »
Dooms Day Device Photography = www.dooms-day-device.com
Iraq Veterans Against the War - www.ivaw.org

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »

How does one verify Shire Silver isn't counterfeit?  I've heard good points that someone could laminate a strip of aluminum.  At the moment, I'm finding the new laminated junk silver coins to be more appealing.

Also, if you're minting coins, isn't that moving away from the concept of Shire Silver and really a very different thing?

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »

How does one verify Shire Silver isn't counterfeit?  I've heard good points that someone could laminate a strip of aluminum.  At the moment, I'm finding the new laminated junk silver coins to be more appealing.

Also, if you're minting coins, isn't that moving away from the concept of Shire Silver and really a very different thing?
I don't like the idea of laminating silver pieces at all.  It's a terrible idea.  The only way to test for purity is to destroy the card!  They'll take up way more space in your wallet than just loose coins.  And it's extra labor and cost that doesn't add any value at all.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »

Silver rounds are great. But a $35 coin can be difficult to use for small stuff, like drinks or food.
Shire Silver cards fit in a wallet and are easy to use value-wise.

You are confusing me by talking about rounds and coins together.  You know there is a difference, right?
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »

Yeah.  the difference is that it is illegal to call something a coin unless the government issues it.  If it is a private coin then it is a round. 

Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »

Yeah.  the difference is that it is illegal to call something a coin unless the government issues it.  If it is a private coin then it is a round. 

True, but thats a minor infraction. The biggest no-no is putting a dollar value on it somewhere. Thats what got Nuthouse in trouble with the goons. Stay away from that.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »

Defining it as "coins" versus "rounds" is something that the coin community does and we'd do best to specifically follow the correct terms.  But that is a minor deal. I heard FTL discussing "laminating coins" the other day. Putting the wrong materials around the coin can damage it over time. Usually people (including myself) put all their coins into "coin flips". Walk into a coin shop and you'll see this is what they use. Its two cardboard squares that staple over the coin with a punch-out in the middle that has a piece of slightly stretchy plastic so you can see the coins. They are cheap and easy to put on the coin so you can always take it off to check out the coin. Also, they can be written on with a pen or pencil.

http://spedr.com/iawj
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »

Defining it as "coins" versus "rounds" is something that the coin community does and we'd do best to specifically follow the correct terms.  But that is a minor deal. I heard FTL discussing "laminating coins" the other day. Putting the wrong materials around the coin can damage it over time. Usually people (including myself) put all their coins into "coin flips". Walk into a coin shop and you'll see this is what they use. Its two cardboard squares that staple over the coin with a punch-out in the middle that has a piece of slightly stretchy plastic so you can see the coins. They are cheap and easy to put on the coin so you can always take it off to check out the coin. Also, they can be written on with a pen or pencil.

http://spedr.com/iawj

thanks for this!

Puke

• Sarcasm Overlord
  • FTL Creative Team
  • Rock on!
    • View Profile
    • Dooms Day Device Photography
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »

Reputation.
You can cut the material out and test if you wanted.
How do you know a laminated dime is really silver either?
How do you know a silver round is really silver?

I also think if one was going to take the time to print, cut, find aluminum strips, laminate, and use fake Shire Silver one would counterfiet something that would actually make profit. That's my theory.
Dooms Day Device Photography = www.dooms-day-device.com
Iraq Veterans Against the War - www.ivaw.org

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »

Some of you guys are making this waaaay too complicated.

A simple .999 silver round would suffice.

Testing silver and gold is a relatively simple and inexpensive process, especially if they are widely being  used as currency. If they are not being widely used as currency, theres no incentive to go through all the trouble and expense of making fakes, so until you get to that point there is very little to worry about. You can use electronic or chemical testing equipment to test up to .999 percent purity if you really think someone is scaming you.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »

Reputation.
You can cut the material out and test if you wanted.
How do you know a laminated dime is really silver either?
How do you know a silver round is really silver?

I also think if one was going to take the time to print, cut, find aluminum strips, laminate, and use fake Shire Silver one would counterfiet something that would actually make profit. That's my theory.

Coins are guaranteed by the country they come from. Shire silver cards are so incredibly easy to fake the likelyhood of someone doing just that is quite high.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 01:32:59 AM »

If it comes down to it, bars look less like "currency" and without ornamentation, it will be harder for the government to prosecute for printing as money.

This ^^^^^
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Free Talk Live Silver Bar

// ]]>

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 37 queries.