Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Free Day
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Day  (Read 4021 times)

blackie

Free Day
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=305

Free Day is January 7th, 2010!

Nobody gives away a free physical thing. There's always a catch. So up front: you have to pay shipping. Other than that, it's open season.
  • $100 max per household
  • You pay shipping
  • Limit of $100,000 in giveaways for the day
  • Starts 9AM MST January 7th, 2010
  • Ends 11PM MST January 7th, 2010 (or when we hit $100k, whichever comes first)
  • Rainchecks for popular items will be allowed
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:27:48 AM by blackie »

blackie

Re: Free Day is January 7th, 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:10:31 PM »

I think I am going to order an Arduino Mega and a couple MegaShield Kits.

Arduino Mega
sku: DEV-09152

Description:  Arduino is an open-source physical computing platform based on a simple i/o board and a development environment that implements the Processing/Wiring language. Arduino can be used to develop stand-alone interactive objects or can be connected to software on your computer (e.g. Flash, Processing, MaxMSP). The open-source IDE can be downloaded for free (currently for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux).

The Arduino Mega is a microcontroller board based on the ATmega1280. It has 54 digital input/output pins (of which 14 can be used as PWM outputs), 16 analog inputs, 4 UARTs (hardware serial ports), a 16 MHz crystal oscillator, a USB connection, a power jack, an ICSP header, and a reset button. It contains everything needed to support the microcontroller; simply connect it to a computer with a USB cable or power it with a AC-to-DC adapter or battery to get started. The Mega is compatible with most shields designed for the Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila.

1 x Arduino Mega    64.95
2 x Arduino MegaShield Kit  $17.95

Total   $100.85

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »

So, I can buy 5 hoodies?
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

blackie

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 09:42:38 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking that would be good for people who don't want geek shit.

BonerJoe

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »

I'm gonna get the Bluetooth rotary phone.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »

One -- or better yet, two -- of these would make me pretty happy for a while.
Judging by the cotton surface shape I suspect those puppies would be at home in the EB thread

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »

I missed it.. server was overloaded, event was finished before 11am!
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 06:04:42 PM »

Why didn't any of you geek fucks update yesterday this was going on?
I hate you.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »

DAMN IT

I pick today, to check the page and see when it was, to make sure I wouldnt miss it!!! ARGG

WTF thats just bad timing.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:49:21 AM »

Do yourself a favor.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »

count me in with the clueless fucks who missed it. Some fucker shoulda bumped the thread  :cry:

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 03:58:19 PM »

Why didn't any of you geek fucks update yesterday this was going on?
I hate you.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

blackie

Free Day is January 13th, 2011!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 12:55:48 AM »

You can't fix stupid.

Free Day is January 13th, 2011. Put it in your calender or something. I'm not going to remind you.

http://www.sparkfun.com/news/487

To refresh your memory, last year we gave away $100,000 based on a system of giving $100 (max) per household. The event was scheduled to last all day, but we reach $100K in an hour and 44 minutes. Had the website not crawled to a halt, it undoubtedly would've been even faster.

We learned a lot from last year and as much as we would like to keep Free Day simple and clever, we’re not going to. Here are the rules for Free Day 2011:

1. First and foremost, we want to give back. We grew by over 50% from 2009 to 2010 so we figured we’d increase the pool by as much. We are going to be giving away $150,000 to users and potentially $30,000 to charity. Our Goal: Get as many new people introduced to SparkFun as possible.

2. Numero dos: We have some amazing customers who have been with us from the beginning and we'd like to show a bit of appreciation. We are going to offer $10 credit for every year (365 days) since your first order. Let’s say you bought something on January 2nd, 2006. You will be offered $50 to claim on Free Day 2011. Goal: To reward customers who have been with us since the beginning. You know who you are (Bill aka phalanx, our fantastic forum moderator).

3. We want to educate people of the basics of electronics. We will be asking a series of different questions on Free Day. When you get a question right, $10 in credit will be instantaneously added to your account. For every question you get wrong, you lose $3. Skipping a question is $0. Limit is $100 per customer or when the $150,000 is given away. These are not trivia questions, these will be very basic knowledge questions about hardware and how to use it. We will be describing the importance of the problem, how to solve the problem, and then ask the reader to solve a similar problem. Checkout the Bite Sized Primer tutorials for some of the material we'll be basing the questions off of. If you're a regular user, you know all this by heart! Goal: Educate new users on the basics.

4. On Free Day, you will be given the option to either take the ‘gimme’ money based on your account age or try for $100 by answering questions. You cannot do both. Remember: We may give away all the money before you can answer the full 10 questions. Which will you choose?

5. All credit must be used within 60 days of Free Day: This will give you time to spend your credits on what you really want. It will also help me prevent a mutiny in shipping. Last year's Free Day was wickedly painful for the awesome people in shipping. By spending your credit throughout two months, you will help us spread out the packaging of orders a bit.

6. For every question answered correctly, we will donate $2 to a collection of three local, international, and technical charities: The Gathering Place, The Hunger Project, and The X-Prize. Goal: Encourage education and at the same time give cold hard cash to folks that need it.

As with most of our ideas, they are rarely formed correctly from the beginning. We have to reserve the right to change things around in case we come up with better rules.

study for the quiz, or just because it's good stuff
http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/

My first order was in 2007, so I may just go with the $30 "gimme" money, and skip the quiz.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: Free Day
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 01:55:34 PM »

Putting it into my phone so I remember.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Free Day
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »

I'm looking at an empty web page.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Free Day

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.