Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Free Audiobook: "The Market for Liberty"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Audiobook: "The Market for Liberty"  (Read 62842 times)

kalmia

• View Profile
Re: Free Audiobook: "The Market for Liberty"
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2008, 07:51:41 AM »

So how do we get the audio book form Kenneth?

How about Pando?  There are three links:

• High Quality = 329.1 MB AAC 128 kbps
  • Medium Quality = 177.9 MB AAC 64 kbps
  • Low Quality = 89.4 MB AAC 32 kbps

They're all up.  BTW, these links will last something like a couple weeks after the last person downloads, so it's a good idea to spread them around publicly to make them more nearly perpetual.

What software do you use to make it into one audiobook file?  I have thought about doing this with some other audiobooks.  Mises.org has many that could be put into one file.  I would maybe do this for them if they would upload the single files I make to their site.

kalmia

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2008, 07:57:10 AM »

That's because man/men is the gender neutral way to address the human species.

I always prefer writers who use the male pronouns in the gender neutral sense.  This is one of the things I liked about Harry Browne.  He always did this in his writing and speaking.

I don't like 'they' and 'their' as a gender neutral pronouns.  Female pronouns used in a gender neutral way annoy me to no end.  It's like the author / speaker is trying to force some PC garbage on me.

trollfreezone

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »

That's because man/men is the gender neutral way to address the human species.

I always prefer writers who use the male pronouns in the gender neutral sense.  This is one of the things I liked about Harry Browne.  He always did this in his writing and speaking.

I don't like 'they' and 'their' as a gender neutral pronouns.  Female pronouns used in a gender neutral way annoy me to no end.  It's like the author / speaker is trying to force some PC garbage on me.

Using the male pronouns as the gender neutral is grammatically correct--I don't care what the PC sissies have to say.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »

I used to fight with alternating "male" and "female" words (silly terms, really, when it comes to grammar). Sometimes, I still do, but dealing with it is a nightmare. Especially in fiction, the writing comes off as jarring to the reader.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Militant

« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2008, 02:18:53 AM »

I came across this audiobook long before I knew about Free Talk Live.

I enjoyed the audiobook a great deal and it helped get me over quite a few minarchist hurdles.

Ian, you might want to update the audio file with a "if you enjoyed this audio book" plug for Free Talk Live. I know you would have gained me as a listener much much sooner.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2008, 02:28:07 AM »

I used to fight with alternating "male" and "female" words (silly terms, really, when it comes to grammar). Sometimes, I still do, but dealing with it is a nightmare. Especially in fiction, the writing comes off as jarring to the reader.
I found this to be quite true, especially in my current class of learning French. For me to read a sentence which makes the noun feminine despite a masculine 'source' (He, Bill, Bob, and etc).
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

amira

« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2008, 10:33:26 PM »

Thanks a bunch.. looking forward to hearing this

A

Mort

« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2008, 02:14:45 AM »

Lets just pick the most efficient way to speak for christ's sake! Fuck PC, fuck tradition for tradition's sake. Right now, we use the male pronoun to refer to the human race in general. Its been that way for a long long ass time. Everyone's been educated at the cost of billions to speak and right in this fashion. In order to change that we'd have to have a pretty fucking good reason, and placating some stupid little whore who can't get over her own inadequecy in the face of overwhelming male superiority is just ... god, its supremely wasteful and counterproductive. You set an ugly precedent for every other busy body who wants to foist their morality of the day on us. Fuck em all, God and Men will stay hes and hims. Women can do the laundry.

Mort

« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2008, 02:16:54 AM »

Lets just pick the most efficient way to speak for christ's sake! Fuck PC, fuck tradition for tradition's sake. Right now, we use the male pronoun to refer to the human race in general. Its been that way for a long long ass time. Everyone's been educated at the cost of billions to speak and right in this fashion. In order to change that we'd have to have a pretty fucking good reason, and placating some stupid little whore who can't get over her own inadequecy in the face of overwhelming male superiority is just ... god, its supremely wasteful and counterproductive. You set an ugly precedent for every other busy body who wants to foist their morality of the day on us. Fuck em all, God and Men will stay hes and hims. Women can do the laundry.

Lol, uh, I meant to say "...to speak and WRITE in this fashion..." not "...right in this fashion." Foot in mouth, awesome.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »

I came across this audiobook long before I knew about Free Talk Live.

I enjoyed the audiobook a great deal and it helped get me over quite a few minarchist hurdles.

Ian, you might want to update the audio file with a "if you enjoyed this audio book" plug for Free Talk Live. I know you would have gained me as a listener much much sooner.

I thought I did that at the end.   :?
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Zappa88

« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »

I need to redownload this. I'm having a weird ass problem:
About 2 hours in or so, the sound cut out. The time counter kept running, but no sound.

conrad from spain

• Irrumator
  • odi et amo
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2008, 08:01:20 PM »

No language uses the feminine pronoun as the default general person.. NOT EVEN IN MATRIARCHAL SOCIETIES.

I find when authors use the female as the the default distracting.. it's a modern feminist change that makes no sense to me nor does it promote "gender equality" or anything like that.

It's better to focus on the CONTENT of the book, not some arbitrary use of pronouns.

iafro

« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2008, 07:57:04 PM »

absolutely wonderful Book. Thank you so much for submitting something this valuable for free.

fase2000tdi

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »

Listened to it months ago, thanks to a FSP mover who I met during the RP campaign.

Great e-book!

PRRT1

« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »

I wonder whatever happened to Linda and Morris Tannehill. They wrote this book in the 80s and nobody heard from them again. If I were a conspiracy theorist I could only begin to speculate.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Free Audiobook: "The Market for Liberty"

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.