Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fighting a traffic citation
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fighting a traffic citation  (Read 1612 times)

crewnut34

• View Profile
Fighting a traffic citation
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »

We all know that taxation without representation is bad enough, but what really ticks me off is taxation through citation.  Don't get me wrong, if I am driving dangerously and putting others at risk I should be fined.  But for making the choice not to wear my seatbelt?  Who owns me?  I do, not the state!

Here is my question.  If I fight this $125 fine by pleading not guilty and asking for trial, will I negate the financial fine benefit to the city/state?  If I prove I am broke, will they have to provide me a lawyer?  Will there be a chance to politely discuss my belief this law is unconstitutional before a jury?  Possibly even educate them a bit on jury nullification?  If so, it would be worth it even if I end up paying the fine plus court costs.

Anyone had any success or experience doing such?  Any suggestions? 

crewnut34

• View Profile
Re: Fighting a traffic citation
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

I'm sorry, I just noticed the Questions thread on the boards.  Mods, if you need to please move. 

crewnut34

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »

Thanks snowdog, the robin hooding thing didn't occur to me.  If everyone did this instead of mailing it in, the incentive for nonsense laws like this would be removed!

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »

Snowdog. Thats pretty smart.

Dude, traffic fines are a form of extrajudicial punishment as far as I'm concerned. They preserve the veneer of a court by putting a judge there, but their states rule is that if its the word of a cop to your word, the judge will believe the cop. Thats what they openly say!

Thats why you can't get a jury trial for a traffic ticket.

You can't clog up the system very efficiently. Your best bet might be to ask for jail time instead of paying them anything. Then its a cost to them (a cost to you too). Depends on how spiteful you are.

For retribution you can either robinhood, or take a pound of quikcrete with you to the court. Before trial, go to the bathroom, and dump it into a toilet, and let it sit for a minute before flushing. if it clogs, that will be a few thousand in repairs. Way more than they extorted from you.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

crewnut34

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:15 PM »

Love the quickcrete idea. Pretty hard to get a fifty pound bag of it into the building under your coat tho....

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »

Love the quickcrete idea. Pretty hard to get a fifty pound bag of it into the building under your coat tho....

A pound will probably be enough.

And it'll fit into a ziplock bag.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fighting a traffic citation

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.