Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fiction for an 11 year old.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fiction for an 11 year old.  (Read 12217 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fiction for an 11 year old.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »

The Walton Street Tycoons
The Adventures of Jonathan Gullible
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

DreadPirateRuby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »

Hands down the best young adult libertarian fiction for young Adults is Tarrin Lupo's books.  He has 4 that are appropriate for that age.

The first is the Young Adults Pirates trilogy found here. http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Savannah-Young-Version-ebook/dp/B006ITGRZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324319566&sr=8-1

The forth book would be great if you homeschool your kids.  It is about of unschooling treasure hunters. It is called "The Hunt For Shamus's Booty" and you can find it here.
http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Savannah-Shamuss-Booty-ebook/dp/B005WKGORG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1324319687&sr=1-1

Hope this helps! 

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »

It's already been said, but the Hitchhikers Guide the Galaxy is excellent, and I'd recommend the whole 5 book trilogy and everythinkg else by Douglas Adams. They are hilarious, and I think they tricked me into learning critical thinking.

If you have trouble getting a kid to read a book their parent recommends you can do what my parents did. They asked me to read the first five pages and if I wasn't hooked I didn't have to read it. I read the whole first book in a weekend. The first book I ever read voluntarily.

I'm not sure if it's right for an 11 year old, but within a couple years the works of Robert Anton Wilson are excellent too.
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

creighto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.  My daughter read exactly one paragraph of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress before declaring it too difficult to understand.  I don't buy it, but I'm not going to make her read something that she doesn't like.  But per suggestions, I downloaded The Hunger Games to my kindle so that I could read it, and I thought it was awesome.  She's tearing that one up right now.  I'll be moving on to The Hitchhiker's Guide books next.

SethCohn

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.  My daughter read exactly one paragraph of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress before declaring it too difficult to understand.  I don't buy it, but I'm not going to make her read something that she doesn't like. 

MIAHM is way beyond a 11 year old... the young adult books of Heinlein are her speed, not that one.  Give her Podkayne of Mars, or the other juvvies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinlein_juvenile

But per suggestions, I downloaded The Hunger Games to my kindle so that I could read it, and I thought it was awesome.  She's tearing that one up right now.  I'll be moving on to The Hitchhiker's Guide books next.

I just read Hunger Games, and very anti-authoritarian, I'm shocked they are making a movie of the first one...

Kelvin

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »

It was Heinlein who did it for me.  As many have said, check out his "juveniles"

2 of the first I read were "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel", and "Space Cadet."  I credit Heinlein as giving me my first push in the direction of libertarianism.

Have to warn you, at the time Heinlein wrote these, he was what I could call a "Right - Libertarian" in that he was all for self-reliance and individual responsibility, but he was also a bit nationalistic.  Still, the trade off is well worth it IMHO. 

I found the stories very compelling and full of adventure, and promote self-reliance. self-determination and competence.

-Kelvin

==============================
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

-Samuel Adams
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fiction for an 11 year old.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.