Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  FCC Monkey-Wrenching Project : Go!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FCC Monkey-Wrenching Project : Go!  (Read 7023 times)

gavino

• View Profile
FCC Monkey-Wrenching Project : Go!
« on: June 24, 2006, 10:19:38 PM »

I've finished the FCC Obscenity Complaint Form monkey-wrenching script!  See the instructions at:

http://freetalklive.com/wiki/index.php?title=FCC_Monkey

To make this effective, we volunteers to:

Add raw data to the wiki page.  Fill in more radio station and show data.  I think we especially need more complaint text (I dunno how many bureaucrats process the complaints, but if it's a small number they'll pretty quickly be able to recognize script-generated complaints).  It would be ESPECIALLY GOOD to find old "recommended complaint text" from the Parents TV Council and enter that into the system.

We also need people to run the script a couple few times a day.  The more the better.

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
Re: FCC Monkey-Wrenching Project : Go!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 10:23:54 PM »

We could inundate PBS and NPR with complaints.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 02:08:52 PM »

Good idea-- please enter some PBS stations and shows on the Wiki page.

Oh, and if you're running the script, every time you refresh the complaint form page it will grab a new, random set of data from the Wiki page.  So if you want to pick on PBS/NPR, poke refresh until a PBS/NPR station comes up...

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 11:22:05 AM »

could you get in trouble for filing a false complaint? 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 03:04:06 PM »

could you get in trouble for filing a false complaint? 

Only if they catch you.  That's why I'd suggest using an unsecured wireless network and a laptop, or maybe a computer at a public library, to file complaints. But I think it's VERY unlikely that they would go to the trouble of subpoening your ISP's connection records to figure out who you are, unless you spam their server with tens or hundreds of complaints at one time.

There's a lot of work still to be done filling in the Wiki page with random complaint text, and filling in show information, so even if you don't want to risk filing a complaint you can help out by adding information to http://freetalklive.com/wiki/index.php?title=FCC_Monkey

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 03:22:39 PM »

how about the president's weekly radio address. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:51:16 PM »

The presiden't weekly radio address wouldn't work, the script only handles shows that happen monday-friday (it picks a random weekday in the last few days to fill in the date).

BUT:  There's nothing stopping you from manually filing a complaint.  Try this URL (anonymouse.org is a service that will hide youre IP address):

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/https://www.parentstv.org/ptc/fcc/fcccomplaint2.asp

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 06:37:44 PM »

Heeheehee, this is fun.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

mbd

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 03:32:17 AM »

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not sure this is such a great idea. It is kind of an entertaining and creative idea. I just think the bureaucrats waste enough time on their own without us creating more work that we ultimately will have to pay for.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 05:54:40 AM »

I guess I just hope they don't bring it back to FTL and use these new FCC rules to get it shut down...
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not sure this is such a great idea. It is kind of an entertaining and creative idea. I just think the bureaucrats waste enough time on their own without us creating more work that we ultimately will have to pay for.

You're not alone.  I'm both entertained and concerned.  I don't like using FTL resources for this.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 01:47:03 PM »

You're not alone.  I'm both entertained and concerned.  I don't like using FTL resources for this.
I'm with mbd and Roycerson. While this displays technical know-how and plenty of cool intentions,  IMO this crosses the line from protest into potential vandalism. Not something I want to be a part of.

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 04:45:03 PM »

I think there are two issues:

1. Is it OK to lie to the government?

Personally, I'm upset enough at the federal government that I enjoy lying to them.  And yup, that's unprincipled and immoral of me, because in general I believe that lying is bad and two wrongs don't make a right.

2. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot by making them waste more of our money?

This seems like a weak argument to me.  After all, if you go out on a protest march one could argue you're making the government spend more money (police, etc).  Certainly if you get arrested for protesting you're costing taxpayers money.  ANY effective protest will require the government to respond in some way-- costing money...

gavino

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 04:47:28 PM »

Oh, yeah, and maybe a third issue:

3. It will get FTL into trouble with the Feds.

Well, Ian said it's a good idea (see the 'brainstorming' thread)... and I bet it would be great publicity for the show if the goverment goes after them for doing nothing besides hosting information on a completely open, free-to-anybody Wiki.   Seems like a pretty open&shut free speech case to me.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 04:59:46 PM »

1. doesn't seem like a big issue to me - the people we're mocking were essentially lying to the government too, keep in mind.
2. They will spend the same amount of time at work that they always do. No.
3. About as ridiculous a case as DiMeo vs. Max.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  FCC Monkey-Wrenching Project : Go!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.