Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fatness Be Gone
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatness Be Gone  (Read 76542 times)

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
Re: Fatness Be Gone
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2009, 10:07:15 AM »

Hey, miamiballoonguy!

Just read your last few blog posts. Can't get my comment on the 47+ mile ride to take - don't know why - but wanted to tell you how great you're doing.

Way to go! That's a heck of a ride, especially considering you've only been working on the fitness for such a short time.

And, having seen your post about what's next, now that you've made it through the first month and 100+ miles, I'm looking forward to hearing about your next milestones.

On a side note, having seen the elevation for your long ride, I think I chose unwisely for my summer vacation / destination race. Miami would be so much kinder to my knees and ankles than Manitou Springs, CO.

Thanks

I had a setback last week with my foot (The top of my right foot has been giving me problems, but I figured out that it was the heel insert in my shoe which has been replaced) but I'm back on track.

Miami had almost no elevation, which is good, but street walking around the easter part of Miami, it turns out that the sidewalks are pretty bad down here.  It seems like every 15 feet there is a driveway that causes the sidwalk to dip, and it is probably one of the reasons that I'm having problems with my foot.  I ended up walking around the old Orange Bowl Stadium (.8 miles around) because of the lack of those driveway dips.  hell, my foot is better but still hurts and I managed to walk my fastest mile yesterday in 17 M 29 Seconds.  6 weeks ago when I started, I was at 22 minutes per mile.  I want to try out a triathlon next year, but since I can't run due to the back surgery, I will have to racewalk.  I want to get my timing to about 13 to 15 minutes a mile just to be able to complete the triathlon.  Then there's that swimming thing I have to start soon.

If you EVER were to ride down here, I am not sure that you could handle it without fearing for your life.  You literally need to have balls of steel to ride on the streets down here.  Don't get caught riding on the sidewalk, either...  You can get a ticket.  The drivers here have got to be in this country's top 3 for worst drivers.  There are very few bike lanes, driver's could give a crap.  Hell, I've almost been run over by cars on those driveway dips in the sidewalk.  I've noticed that when people are pulling out of these driveways, and you are walking on the sidewalk against traffic, people won't even look to that side when they pull up and will hit you.  It happened to me yesterday.  The mutherfucker pulled up within an inch of me and I walked into the freaking thing.  I was this close to jumping through the window and beating the crap out of the guy.

As far as the comments thing on the blog, thanks for letting me know.  The problem is with one of my plugins.  I disabled it for now until I can sit down and figure out what the heck is wrong, so if you feel like commenting, go for it!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:30:34 AM by miamiballoonguy »
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2009, 12:34:03 AM »

So, I got inspired, thanks to this thread in the forum and my sick of being fat.  I joined Gold's Gym.  Not the way I'd like to workout, but it's the closest thing to having all the equipment at home lol.

I also signed up for an online service called FitSync.  They have an app for my Android phone that was $2.00 and it gives you access to all the workouts that you enter on their website.  Website access is free, so this is pretty good motivation for me.  http://app.fitsync.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=789

I get out of work in the morning, drive to Gold's that's on my way home, do my workout with my mp3's blastin in my ears from my Android and I'm good to go.  I hate the crowds at gyms, but this one seems to be ok.  Not too crowded, just a bunch of seniors.

I just completed my first whole week back lifting and I love it again.  Cardio is a different story lol.  Next thing I need to do is work on quitting smoking.  I've already pretty much eliminated soda out of my diet.  Got myself a nice BPA-Free waterbottle at Target that I carry around religiously so far lol.

jeffersonish

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55:44 AM »

I'm going to school to become a paralegal starting this week. Since I already have a lot of school under my belt, I only have to do one year vs. the whole 2 year program. I figure this is a good time to get serious about losing weight. I'm at 290+ and my ideal weight is about 190. Charts say even lower, but I got down to 190 in 1994 and I was in great shape. I wouldn't have wanted to be any less. I think I had 9% body fat. I will do basically what I did then which is work out a lot -- 2 to 3 times per day, one day off per week. Swim, jog (that will translate to cycling this time), basketball.

Also the diet was closely monitored. I was burning over 2000 calories per day per my calcs and taking in about 1500. Breakfast was oatmeal with juice instead of milk in it.  Lunch was rice and veggies. Dinner included 8-10 oz of lean meat, a vegetable and something like a baked potato topped with light italian dressing.

If I was out and about and got hungry but didn't have anything planned with me, I would get either a bean burrito at Taco Bell or a hamburger with no cheese from McDonalds. Those were the lowest calorie items and they could take the edge off till I got back home.

Also, no sweets period... no alcohol... no sodas -- I drank a lot of unsweetened ice tea and water.

I don't think I cheated more than once or twice and that was moderate... possibly a little straying at a potluck or some such. It was when I was around 190-200 that I climbed a cliff in Tahoe's Desolation Wilderness with a buddy. I would never make that in my current state.

This time I plan on staying at 200 +/- about 10 lbs. And whether I like it or not, when I go for interviews a year from now, I will have a much better chance of landing a job if I am very fit.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »

So, I got inspired, thanks to this thread in the forum and my sick of being fat.  I joined Gold's Gym.  Not the way I'd like to workout, but it's the closest thing to having all the equipment at home lol.

I also signed up for an online service called FitSync.  They have an app for my Android phone that was $2.00 and it gives you access to all the workouts that you enter on their website.  Website access is free, so this is pretty good motivation for me.  http://app.fitsync.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=789

I get out of work in the morning, drive to Gold's that's on my way home, do my workout with my mp3's blastin in my ears from my Android and I'm good to go.  I hate the crowds at gyms, but this one seems to be ok.  Not too crowded, just a bunch of seniors.

I just completed my first whole week back lifting and I love it again.  Cardio is a different story lol.  Next thing I need to do is work on quitting smoking.  I've already pretty much eliminated soda out of my diet.  Got myself a nice BPA-Free waterbottle at Target that I carry around religiously so far lol.

Good for you.  You should subscribe to my blog, just for shit's and giggles.  I'm down 35 pounds in about 6 weeks.  5 more pounds until I start some resistance training.

It's funny, it seems that you like cardio about as much as I like resistance training and I like cardio as much as you like resistance training.

Well, I'm down to my last few packs.  Once they're gone, they are gone.  I don't want to pay for the poor children's health care program.  Think about it that way.

I prefer the camelback to the water bottle, but then again, I get to use it to workout and to make balloons.  Once I got it, I didn't have to stop, pick up the water, put it down and dry off my hand, or even worse, have the water go hot on me while I'm out in the sun making balloons.
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »

I too prefer camel packs (or platypus bladders, same thing) to water bottles. Of course, when I backpack I carry 2 water bottles at least and use the pack as the reserve since it stays cool longer and is tougher to fill.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2009, 10:57:50 PM »

I'm going to school to become a paralegal starting this week. Since I already have a lot of school under my belt, I only have to do one year vs. the whole 2 year program. I figure this is a good time to get serious about losing weight. I'm at 290+ and my ideal weight is about 190. Charts say even lower, but I got down to 190 in 1994 and I was in great shape. I wouldn't have wanted to be any less. I think I had 9% body fat. I will do basically what I did then which is work out a lot -- 2 to 3 times per day, one day off per week. Swim, jog (that will translate to cycling this time), basketball.

Also the diet was closely monitored. I was burning over 2000 calories per day per my calcs and taking in about 1500. Breakfast was oatmeal with juice instead of milk in it.  Lunch was rice and veggies. Dinner included 8-10 oz of lean meat, a vegetable and something like a baked potato topped with light italian dressing.

If I was out and about and got hungry but didn't have anything planned with me, I would get either a bean burrito at Taco Bell or a hamburger with no cheese from McDonalds. Those were the lowest calorie items and they could take the edge off till I got back home.

Also, no sweets period... no alcohol... no sodas -- I drank a lot of unsweetened ice tea and water.

I don't think I cheated more than once or twice and that was moderate... possibly a little straying at a potluck or some such. It was when I was around 190-200 that I climbed a cliff in Tahoe's Desolation Wilderness with a buddy. I would never make that in my current state.

This time I plan on staying at 200 +/- about 10 lbs. And whether I like it or not, when I go for interviews a year from now, I will have a much better chance of landing a job if I am very fit.

The chicken soft tacos are better than the bean burrito.  The grilled chicken sandwich without the mayo is better than the burger at McDonalds. 

How tall are you?  You might not be eating enough.  from what I've learned, Guys should be in the 1800 to 2200 calorie per day range, depending on the amount of exercise that you do.  If you don't eat enough, you will lose muscle instead of fat.  You might want to look into the Body for Life program.  It sounds like it might be up your alley.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »

I too prefer camel packs (or platypus bladders, same thing) to water bottles. Of course, when I backpack I carry 2 water bottles at least and use the pack as the reserve since it stays cool longer and is tougher to fill.

Those camel backs are the best thing since sliced bread, man.  Not having to lug a water bottle for 14 miles is great.  And the best thing about them is that they get lighter the further you go.

BonerJoe

« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2009, 11:04:08 PM »

I've been losing a steady 2lbs a week. I'm happy with that.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2009, 11:26:18 PM »

Those camel backs are the best thing since sliced bread, man.  Not having to lug a water bottle for 14 miles is great.  And the best thing about them is that they get lighter the further you go.

When they are completely empty? Sooo light.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2009, 11:50:05 PM »

Good for you jay.  How much exercising?

BonerJoe

« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »

Good for you jay.  How much exercising?

Not enough.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »

I finally broke the 300 pound barrier.  I am now below 300 pounds for the first time since Hurricane Wilma in 2005.

I'm excited.  40 down, 100 to go.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »

I finally broke the 300 pound barrier.  I am now below 300 pounds for the first time since Hurricane Wilma in 2005.

Woot!  Congrats :)

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:06 PM »

Woot!  Congrats :)

I had a clusterf*CK of a day today, so I was only able to exercise for about an hour and a half.  I feel guilty about it, lol.  But I guess that I should look at it as a light day.  I'll probably be able to do a nice full day workout tomorrow.

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »

Gratz!

I lost 10lbs since dumping the soda out of my diet.  And I now officially drink coffee BLACK without any sugar or creamer.  I changed my workout routine too.

I also started a Fitness log Blog :P  just to keep me on my toes
http://slayerboyfitness.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fatness Be Gone

// ]]>

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 32 queries.