Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fatness Be Gone
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatness Be Gone  (Read 76539 times)

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
Re: Fatness Be Gone
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:51 PM »

Yeah, that's what keeps me out of them.  I noticed that I was always catching a cold at the gym.  Reistance bands are what I am using now, but I know I will have to join a gym sooner or later if I want my arms shoulders and chest back, sigh.

I'll have to check out the link mikehz posted, but here's something I've been hearing great things about - http://www.monkeybargym.com/
They really make it look like fun, and the equipment is not a huge commitment, either for cash or space.

I just sis my personal best today 6 miles in just under 2 hours, including walking up and down a set of bleachers at the high school football stadium that most schools share down here 8 times up, 8 times down (one for each set of stairs that the bleacher had.
There's no cute applause smileys, so I'll have to go with the big damn grin:
 :D
Good job.

I was a lazy ass today. Yoga and Core, in my PJs, while watching Heroes.

Thanks.
That monkey bar gym looks interesting, but all that twisting and shit...  I'll pass...  LOL
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 08:56:37 AM »

I was obsessed with bodybuilding 5 or 6 years ago.  I loved it.  I got suckered in by the mags like FLEX and shit and became insanely obsessed with supplements.

Long story short I haven't worked out in about 3 years and am showing signs of working in a cube for 2 1/2 years.  Been looking at local gyms and not impressed.  I got the Wii Fit, which is amazing for cardio, but it's gotten old quick.  I need to lift again, I still have that desire.  I don't have the desire to be obsessed like I was originally with experimenting with supps.  I don't want to be insanely huge.  I just want to get down around 200lbs from 240 and have a smaller gut.

Cutting out the soda, having a harder time with fried foods.  Going to start eating more fiber and drinking more water.  Taking it slow for now.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »

I was obsessed with bodybuilding 5 or 6 years ago.  I loved it.  I got suckered in by the mags like FLEX and shit and became insanely obsessed with supplements.

Long story short I haven't worked out in about 3 years and am showing signs of working in a cube for 2 1/2 years.  Been looking at local gyms and not impressed.  I got the Wii Fit, which is amazing for cardio, but it's gotten old quick.  I need to lift again, I still have that desire.  I don't have the desire to be obsessed like I was originally with experimenting with supps.  I don't want to be insanely huge.  I just want to get down around 200lbs from 240 and have a smaller gut.

Cutting out the soda, having a harder time with fried foods.  Going to start eating more fiber and drinking more water.  Taking it slow for now.

Back IN the 90's I was in the same boat.  Unless your a pro or competitive athlete, most supplements are a waste of money.  With the exception of meal replacement shakes, that is.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:00:19 AM by miamiballoonguy »
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »

I think supplements like vitamins/fiber/glucosamine are ok.  I think supplements in general are ok if you are missing something in your diet, and meal replacements are ok too.  I used to be big on protein shakes and creatine, I think that was a waste of money really.  Fish oil maybe.

My biggest problem is that pretty much anything you eat today is unhealthy unless you grow it or kill it yourself.  I think it's not so much what you eat as it is how much you eat of it.  Making smart decisions on calories is the best way to lose weight IMHO.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »

A pound of fat is about 3600 calories.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 08:58:20 PM »

A pound of fat is about 3600 calories.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 08:59:59 PM »

I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »

Actually....I know everyone says that 3500 = 1 lb of body fat, but when you lose weight it's not all bodyfat.  You can't control whether you lose bodyfat or muscle weight.  Obviously lifting weights will help to build muscle.  The same is true for gaining weight.  It's not all body fat if you're lifting weights.  Obviously, if you're doing no exercise at all it is fat. 

Also, muscle is far more denser than fat.  Which can explain why the BMI index is utter bullshit.  It's much better to measure body fat % than BMI.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

Actually....I know everyone says that 3500 = 1 lb of body fat, but when you lose weight it's not all bodyfat.  You can't control whether you lose bodyfat or muscle weight.  Obviously lifting weights will help to build muscle.  The same is true for gaining weight.  It's not all body fat if you're lifting weights.  Obviously, if you're doing no exercise at all it is fat. 

Also, muscle is far more denser than fat.  Which can explain why the BMI index is utter bullshit.  It's much better to measure body fat % than BMI.

More...denser?   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 09:42:02 AM »

True.
3500 calories = 1 pound, whether it's a pound of fat or a pound of muscle.
But to the average person losing weight, extra pounds = fat. They aren't looking beyond the scale and waist size.
Some people want to know all the specifics, but most don't. They just want to wear a smaller size of jeans and feel a bit better.

More...denser?   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That struck me as more funnier, too.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 09:52:06 AM »

Joy, do you take vitamins?  And if so, what kind?  I'm not entirely sure why this hit me just now.  But I remember you mentioning that you're pretty much eliminating your meat consumption for now.  I know you eat other veggie sources of protein and try to keep things as balanced as possible - but you seem to have a pretty good grip on getting good, natural things to eat without being all hippie vegan.  I noticed (and some other people have too) that I haven't been eating a lot of meat lately.  I still eat it, of course, but it's mostly chicken or turkey for what ever reason.  And I'm trying my best to eat a little healthier and try and still get a balance of nutrition and vitamins.  I have a hard time remembering to take vitamins, because I have to remember to take four other prescription pills during the course of the day. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:26 AM »

Joy, do you take vitamins?  And if so, what kind?  I'm not entirely sure why this hit me just now.  But I remember you mentioning that you're pretty much eliminating your meat consumption for now.  I know you eat other veggie sources of protein and try to keep things as balanced as possible - but you seem to have a pretty good grip on getting good, natural things to eat without being all hippie vegan.  I noticed (and some other people have too) that I haven't been eating a lot of meat lately.  I still eat it, of course, but it's mostly chicken or turkey for what ever reason.  And I'm trying my best to eat a little healthier and try and still get a balance of nutrition and vitamins.  I have a hard time remembering to take vitamins, because I have to remember to take four other prescription pills during the course of the day. 

I take a multivitamin every other day. It's just the Whole Foods Adult Multi. (The iron in it - everyday is too tough on my system.)
I do take Vitamin C every day I exercise, and a B complex. I take it with my post work out snack & a glass of water.
If I'm drinking something like an odwalla blueberry monster, then I don't bother with the supplement.
I used to take a bunch of stuff, but have cut most of it out, without noticing any decline in my general health.

For food based good stuff:
Lots of avocado and olive oil, with a variety of veggies and fruit. I really like what some nutrition people are doing now with fruit & veg recommendations. Instead of preaching specifics all the time, they're saying your plate should always be colorful. If you have a rainbow on your dinner plate, you're getting a good balance of most vitamins.
Black beans help with iron, as does using molasses in my regular cooking. I sprinkle ground flax on my morning yogurt, and toss a scoop of it into most bread & muffin recipes.

I think the biggest thing is that I don't tell myself "no" anymore. I may say "later" when it comes to sweets and junkfood, but not "no". If it's a stressful day, and I'm craving ice cream, I'm going to have ice cream. It'll just be later, after dinner, when I sit down with a cup of tea or coffee and a book. If I savor it, and make it a big deal, one scoop with some sliced strawberries and sprinkle of dark chocolate is more satisfying than scarfing down a frosty on the way to pick up the kids. Same thing goes for cheeseburgers or pizza. One medium rare burger, with a thick slice of cheese and tomato on a buttered bun, is worth waiting for. Especially when the quick fix is McDonalds or Burger King. (Not that I don't grab the occasional Whopper Jr. w/cheese after a long ride on a hot summer day.)

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 11:17:42 AM »

More...denser?   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFL...see how much you get dependent on spellcheck and you become.....more.......denser :P

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2009, 08:45:16 AM »

I take a multivitamin every other day. It's just the Whole Foods Adult Multi. (The iron in it - everyday is too tough on my system.)
I do take Vitamin C every day I exercise, and a B complex. I take it with my post work out snack & a glass of water.
If I'm drinking something like an odwalla blueberry monster, then I don't bother with the supplement.
I used to take a bunch of stuff, but have cut most of it out, without noticing any decline in my general health.

For food based good stuff:
Lots of avocado and olive oil, with a variety of veggies and fruit. I really like what some nutrition people are doing now with fruit & veg recommendations. Instead of preaching specifics all the time, they're saying your plate should always be colorful. If you have a rainbow on your dinner plate, you're getting a good balance of most vitamins.
Black beans help with iron, as does using molasses in my regular cooking. I sprinkle ground flax on my morning yogurt, and toss a scoop of it into most bread & muffin recipes.

I think the biggest thing is that I don't tell myself "no" anymore. I may say "later" when it comes to sweets and junkfood, but not "no". If it's a stressful day, and I'm craving ice cream, I'm going to have ice cream. It'll just be later, after dinner, when I sit down with a cup of tea or coffee and a book. If I savor it, and make it a big deal, one scoop with some sliced strawberries and sprinkle of dark chocolate is more satisfying than scarfing down a frosty on the way to pick up the kids. Same thing goes for cheeseburgers or pizza. One medium rare burger, with a thick slice of cheese and tomato on a buttered bun, is worth waiting for. Especially when the quick fix is McDonalds or Burger King. (Not that I don't grab the occasional Whopper Jr. w/cheese after a long ride on a hot summer day.)

Avocado...  yummm!  I get fresh ones down here all year round.  All differnt varieties.  I buy them from a neighbor...  Much better than store bought.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2009, 09:59:51 AM »

Avocado...  yummm!  I get fresh ones down here all year round.  All differnt varieties.  I buy them from a neighbor...  Much better than store bought.

Damn you and your fresh avocados! I'm insanely jealous at the moment, seeing as how I've had to put off my mango/avocado salad lunch for another day.
The ripest avocado at the store yesterday is a day or two away from being ripe. (It was either buy & wait, or take a chance on the ones marked "ripe" - which is generally a bad idea.)

I'm going to take my pissy attitude for a ride down to Whole Foods. I'll scoop up all the goodies for a batch of granola, and pick up my race packet for tomorrow's 10k on the way.
Yes, I'll be riding my bike to the whole foods to fill my reusable grocery bag with organic ingredients for homemade granola.
This will be before my volunteer time in a public (charter) school.

OMG. I'm becoming the "nature" mom I remember my mother making fun of from her little group when I was a kid. (Except for the bell bottoms and patchwork dresses.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:01:54 AM by Laetitia »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fatness Be Gone

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 34 queries.