Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fatness Be Gone
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatness Be Gone  (Read 76536 times)

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
Fatness Be Gone
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »

Well, I've started my own blog now.  It's mainly about my weight loss journey, but I will be posting political stuff from time to time, like my latest post about the taxpayers clearinghouse video.  So far, I've lost 15.2 pounds in less than 3 weeks, and have about 115 to go.  I've posted a graph on my progress page to show my progress.  I'll also be publishing exact caloric intake and exercise output, body measurement progress, miles walked and bike ridden, photos, etc...  It's all about getting back in shape and preparing for my bike ride from Florida to New Hampshire, New Hampshire to California, then California to Florida in the next year or two.

I'm up to 32 miles a day riding and 5 miles a day walking so far...   I'm just giddy that I've finally started doing it.

The site is still a work in progress but the posts, progress, and about me sections are pretty much complete. 

Check it out and let me know!

http://www.fatnessbegone.com
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fatness Be Gone
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:39:34 PM »

Good for you!!!

Something from my personal experience:
Don't get too hung up on the exact calorie counting. It can turn a helpful tool into an unhealthy relationship with food.
Once you get a good feel for what you need, give yourself a break on the precise numbers.
Still keep the journal, if it helps you keep portions in check, and makes for healthier choices.
Do the full counting as an occasional self check, especially when you bump up the activity levels.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »

Good for you!!!

Something from my personal experience:
Don't get too hung up on the exact calorie counting. It can turn a helpful tool into an unhealthy relationship with food.
Once you get a good feel for what you need, give yourself a break on the precise numbers.
Still keep the journal, if it helps you keep portions in check, and makes for healthier choices.
Do the full counting as an occasional self check, especially when you bump up the activity levels.
It really helps that I haven't eaten at a restaurant other than subway in almost 3 weeks. Also the no beer, no soda, no fried foods helps...  As far as the calorie counting goes, It's not that hard.  I just enter the food that I eat into some software, and it counts them for me.  It also keeps track of water, body measurements, exercise, etc.  It's really easy to enter a new food.  And I can enter the info on my treo and sync it back to my mac.  The software comes with a large database of foods, including restaurants and fast food in it.  So I'm relearning to make the right choices in what I eat.  As far as exercise goes, the only things I like to to do are ride bike and walk.  That's not hard for me...  The weight training and core workouts are the things that I don't like to do.  I hate gyms.  It's really easy to catch some sort of illness from someone else's sweat.
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:54:50 PM »

Also the no beer, no soda, no fried foods

What? I dont know what I'd do without any ONE of those.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »

Also the no beer, no soda, no fried foods

What? I dont know what I'd do without any ONE of those.

yeah, the beer i'll miss, but then again, I just need to get in shape.  Once I hit my goal I'll be in the habit of exercising again.  And I'll be a lightweight/cheap date again...  Oh the memories.  I only got this way cause I hurt my back so badly I had to have it surgically repaired.  By the time I got the surgery and therapy, I was not able to work out for 2 years, and I fell into bad habits....  It's taken me a while to get over the trauma and fear.  You don't know pain until you've blown a disk in your back.  That's the kind of gift that keeps on giving.  24 hours, 7 days per week excruciating, never ending pain.  Very little sleep and productivity. Imagine being punched by mike tyson without a glove on every square inch of your asscheek and leg all the way down to the tip of your toes.  No add being pricked by needles all over the same areas.  That's what it was like for me. 

But yes, the beer will be missed...  The chili fries and hot wings will be missed, too.  But I need to stay away for a while.

Caveman

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:25:11 AM »

Good on ya man, im in the middle of an exercise regime as well to get fit. Don't know why i didn't put a website together for that purpose. Doh!

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:23:27 AM »

Great job man! Keep it up. Maintain the commitment and you will reach your goal in no time.
Pocho

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »

:mrgreen:
Keep up the good work!
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:53:51 AM »

As far as the calorie counting goes, It's not that hard.  I just enter the food that I eat into some software, and it counts them for me.  It also keeps track of water, body measurements, exercise, etc.  It's really easy to enter a new food.  And I can enter the info on my treo and sync it back to my mac.  The software comes with a large database of foods, including restaurants and fast food in it.  So I'm relearning to make the right choices in what I eat. 
What software are you using? I used one of the online options for a while last year, The Daily Plate. It's got a great database of prepared and restaurant food, but I don't eat out often, and packaged foods are pretty rare - I spent tons of time entering individual foods. It was good that I did it, because I found out I wasn't eating anywhere near as many calories as I thought - but it didn't take long before I was pissy about all the time it took, as well as being tied to reaching the magic number for the day.

I'm using Lose It on the iPhone now, which lets me plug in the ingredients for a recipe, and get back nutritional information based on the number of servings. I'm using it in place of the stack of books more often, as I'm building up the number of recipes on the phone. It's good to know how much fat/protein/fiber I'm filling the family with, along with the calories. I also have customized exercises to match the data spit out by my heart rate monitor. I used it solid for one month as a calorie counter, but am now using it for the recipe features and an "on the go" exercise log. I'll probably track a few full days at a time, or one week each month, just to make sure I'm on track.

As far as exercise goes, the only things I like to to do are ride bike and walk.  That's not hard for me...  The weight training and core workouts are the things that I don't like to do.  I hate gyms.  It's really easy to catch some sort of illness from someone else's sweat.

The more exercise I got outside in the fresh air, the stuffier, germier and smellier the gym seemed. I was completely disgusted last time I went in for weights and a treadmill run on a cold rainy day. Scrubbed down everything before & after use, which meant I spent as much time cleaning as working out. There were so many sniffling, sneezing, scratching people.... just thinking about it, I want to run off to shower.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »

As far as the calorie counting goes, It's not that hard.  I just enter the food that I eat into some software, and it counts them for me.  It also keeps track of water, body measurements, exercise, etc.  It's really easy to enter a new food.  And I can enter the info on my treo and sync it back to my mac.  The software comes with a large database of foods, including restaurants and fast food in it.  So I'm relearning to make the right choices in what I eat. 
What software are you using? I used one of the online options for a while last year, The Daily Plate. It's got a great database of prepared and restaurant food, but I don't eat out often, and packaged foods are pretty rare - I spent tons of time entering individual foods. It was good that I did it, because I found out I wasn't eating anywhere near as many calories as I thought - but it didn't take long before I was pissy about all the time it took, as well as being tied to reaching the magic number for the day.

I'm using Lose It on the iPhone now, which lets me plug in the ingredients for a recipe, and get back nutritional information based on the number of servings. I'm using it in place of the stack of books more often, as I'm building up the number of recipes on the phone. It's good to know how much fat/protein/fiber I'm filling the family with, along with the calories. I also have customized exercises to match the data spit out by my heart rate monitor. I used it solid for one month as a calorie counter, but am now using it for the recipe features and an "on the go" exercise log. I'll probably track a few full days at a time, or one week each month, just to make sure I'm on track.

As far as software goes, I'm using something called diet and exercise assistant by keyoe.  It's far from perfect, but if you use palm OS, it is the best one out there.  Unfortunately, it requires winblows 98 or higher, so you will need paralells or vmware if you are using a mac.  It's awesome.  It even keeps track of blood pressure if you want to get that detailed, or your working with a doctor or personal trainer.  It's a great program.

As far as the Herat rate monitor goes, you should try to use it every time you workout without fail.  As you basal metabolic rate improves, and your weight goes down, you have to make the adjustments for the HRM to remain accurate otherwise, if you lose 100 pounds but never update your settings in the hrm, it wont calculate your caloric output correctly.  So use it. and update it with ever 25 pounds lost.  As a matter of fact, 7 more pounds and I will be making my first adjustment to the darn thing.

As far as exercise goes, the only things I like to to do are ride bike and walk.  That's not hard for me...  The weight training and core workouts are the things that I don't like to do.  I hate gyms.  It's really easy to catch some sort of illness from someone else's sweat.

The more exercise I got outside in the fresh air, the stuffier, germier and smellier the gym seemed. I was completely disgusted last time I went in for weights and a treadmill run on a cold rainy day. Scrubbed down everything before & after use, which meant I spent as much time cleaning as working out. There were so many sniffling, sneezing, scratching people.... just thinking about it, I want to run off to shower.

Yeah, that's what keeps me out of them.  I noticed that I was always catching a cold at the gym.  Reistance bands are what I am using now, but I know I will have to join a gym sooner or later if I want my arms shoulders and chest back, sigh.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »

Good on ya man, im in the middle of an exercise regime as well to get fit. Don't know why i didn't put a website together for that purpose. Doh!

I've been playing around with wordpress for about a month before i got the domain and got it.  it's pretty cool software, but it does have it's drawbacks...  Finding the right template is half the battle.  Eventually I hope to make my own, bt I've got about 10 computerbooks to get through, including 3 certifications before i get to the php book so thati can understand what is going on under the hood.

Well, it's never to late to start.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »

the best way to lose weight is to go on a raw food diet.

but who is going to do that?

the truth is that if you eat more fiber and drink more water, those 2 alone will help you lose weight.

lack of fiber/water in the diet causes the "gut"

raw food?  euuu!  That's for the hippies, man.

lack of fibre and water is part of it, but caloric intake is the key, along with regular cardio and resistance training.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »

I think the best no-nonsense, no BS fitness site on line is Dave Draper's Iron on Line: http://www.davedraper.com/

The forum is an excellent source for good advice.

A strange thing happened. I found this site maybe three or four years ago, and started using the message board. Another poster, a young woman, seemed oddly familiar, and so I PMed her. turned out that she's my niece, who got into body building a few years back, and now organizes shows.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

BonerJoe

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:03:06 PM »

I'm waiting on my Worksman Urban Cruiser bicycle to be delivered that I ordered two weeks ago. Then imma get out and ride around till my fat self can't stand it no more.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 07:30:07 PM »

I'm waiting on my Worksman Urban Cruiser bicycle to be delivered that I ordered two weeks ago. Then imma get out and ride around till my fat self can't stand it no more.

Sounds expensive. 

My goal this summer is to use our pool more often.  Until it warms up, I'm trying to get out and walk the dogs more. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fatness Be Gone

// ]]>

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 32 queries.