Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fatness Be Gone
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fatness Be Gone  (Read 76956 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fatness Be Gone
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

At least you are nit riding a recumbent.  I've gotta get a new seat.  I'm tired of having recumbutt...  that is, you're ass being numb for sitting in the same position for an hour.   but it's beter than the bike crotch rot you get from riding an upright!  LOL 

Diet is starting up again tomorrow...  hoping to get the 2nd 3rd of the goal by halloween, so then I can concentrate on the body for life competition at the beginning of the year.

I don't think I could ride one of those comfortably. My butt falls asleep if I sit at my desk for more than 20 mins. at a time.
At least on the road bike and my city bike, I can stand up to pedal for a minute or two, to prevent the numb.

---

Good luck on the next phase of your goal. I've had to scale back on racing this fall - not enough free Saturday mornings, but am gearing my training toward  half marathons on Halloween and Thanksgiving. Weight loss/control is not going to be as high on my priority list as staying injury free. I had the bright idea to save money and do the early registration for my first 26.1 mile in March, so will start a marathon training program the last week of November. Which reminds me, I need to pop over to Amazon on the link, and get a couple of books and a training guide/log ordered.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2009, 08:58:33 AM »

At least you are nit riding a recumbent.  I've gotta get a new seat.  I'm tired of having recumbutt...  that is, you're ass being numb for sitting in the same position for an hour.   but it's beter than the bike crotch rot you get from riding an upright!  LOL 

Diet is starting up again tomorrow...  hoping to get the 2nd 3rd of the goal by halloween, so then I can concentrate on the body for life competition at the beginning of the year.

I don't think I could ride one of those comfortably. My butt falls asleep if I sit at my desk for more than 20 mins. at a time.
At least on the road bike and my city bike, I can stand up to pedal for a minute or two, to prevent the numb.

---

Good luck on the next phase of your goal. I've had to scale back on racing this fall - not enough free Saturday mornings, but am gearing my training toward  half marathons on Halloween and Thanksgiving. Weight loss/control is not going to be as high on my priority list as staying injury free. I had the bright idea to save money and do the early registration for my first 26.1 mile in March, so will start a marathon training program the last week of November. Which reminds me, I need to pop over to Amazon on the link, and get a couple of books and a training guide/log ordered.

Thanks

They say that there is a seat that works better at preventing the numbness, so I have to check it out.  I've got to take advantage of the short recovery time and make enough money so that when the next dip of this double dip recession comes, I'll have some money.  Lucky for me the party season is just about to begin.  Parties!
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

BonerJoe

« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:50 AM »

I worked underneath my car for 4 hours yesterday. I felt like I lost 5lbs.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2009, 01:20:59 PM »

teach the difference between good pain, and bad pain.

This. Definitely.  And once she's been taught about this... review.

I'm an old woman who should know better, and I head out with the thought "meh, it's not that bad - just need to warm up" more often than I should.
Especially on long hilly routes. Or, I'll acknowledge that I might have pushed it too far, and will take the day "off"... with a 40 mile ride. (Sucks, if you realize at mile 30  the pain that kicked in around mile 15-20 was not just a passing cramp.)
This again.

I can't run xc anymore because my knees will start to hurt extremely bad after 2 miles.  I used to do 15 mile work outs every wednesday in HS XC and now whenever I try to run more than a couple miles my knees are wrecked.  I switched to mtn biking for that reason. 
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »

Mountain biking is still pretty knee-impacting, compared to road biking on a well-adjusted cycle, which is in turn worse on the knees (and back) than a well-adjusted recumbent.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2009, 05:34:05 PM »

This. Definitely.  And once she's been taught about this... review.

I'm an old woman who should know better, and I head out with the thought "meh, it's not that bad - just need to warm up" more often than I should.
Especially on long hilly routes. Or, I'll acknowledge that I might have pushed it too far, and will take the day "off"... with a 40 mile ride. (Sucks, if you realize at mile 30  the pain that kicked in around mile 15-20 was not just a passing cramp.)
This again.

I can't run xc anymore because my knees will start to hurt extremely bad after 2 miles.    

Same here, except I switched to rowing.

BOW BALL!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:35:48 PM by CaL DaVe »
Pocho

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »

Mountain biking is still pretty knee-impacting, compared to road biking on a well-adjusted cycle, which is in turn worse on the knees (and back) than a well-adjusted recumbent.

Recumbutt aside, I have found that riding a recumbent is a lot more fun and ejoyable than an upright.  Gotta love the lumbar support, especially with a surgically repaired back such as mine.
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »

I can take some intense mountain biking and offroad dirt bike riding.  My knees take it no problem.  I just can't do the XC running anymore.  2 Miles and I'm out.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2009, 04:32:01 AM »

Especially on long hilly routes. Or, I'll acknowledge that I might have pushed it too far, and will take the day "off"... with a 40 mile ride. (Sucks, if you realize at mile 30  the pain that kicked in around mile 15-20 was not just a passing cramp.)

Racing season has begun. 

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »

Racing season has begun. 

Are you going to any of the races? X-country is not a spectator sport. So if you do go, take the dog or a book. I remember my parents going one time and they were upset because they could not see the whole race. Only the finish.
Pocho

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »

Racing season has begun. 

Are you going to any of the races? X-country is not a spectator sport. So if you do go, take the dog or a book. I remember my parents going one time and they were upset because they could not see the whole race. Only the finish.

We stop & pick up breakfast to picnic while we wait. Works out well - because the extra food we get for the teen gets handed right over at the end of his race. (There's not a lot of the snacks the team brings by the end of the 3rd-5th races.)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »

Have a 10k next week that's sure to be my favorite to date... the teen is going to kick my ass on time, then mock me for being old. Which is actually a lot more fun than it sounds.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fatness Be Gone

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 31 queries.