Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fascinating Documentary : Gaza and Israel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fascinating Documentary : Gaza and Israel  (Read 4374 times)

fatcat

Fascinating Documentary : Gaza and Israel
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWeiAmr_atA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWeiAmr_atA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-UArLeF7oM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-UArLeF7oM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

A fairly enlightening documentary two parter that just finished in the UK. The guy keeps it pretty non biased, he says he goes into it with no agenda and it pretty much comes off that way.

Although I'm sure extreme pro Hamas and pro Israel people will think he's not hard enough on either side.

Unfortunately I think the novelty of Ross Kemp doing this kind of shit will be lost on the non-UK members.

Some of the people interviewed are really fascinating, and some really heart breaking footage on both sides.

From Gaza visiting with would be Hamas suicide bombers, tunnel kings, the effects of the blockage and just average gazans who want to be left alone

to Israel, visiting with the IDF, the effects of terrorism and covering the internal divisions between secular Israel and religious fundamentalism, and average Israelis who just want to be left alone.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:17:11 PM by fatcat »

Bill Brasky

Re: Fascinating Documentary : Gaza and Israel
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:04:22 PM »

Good stuff.  The man has balls.  I wish I could watch more but YouTube likes to fuck me around.  Maybe I'll look for some torrents by this cat. 

Thanks. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »

I'm watching it.  Keep in mind I've actually been to Gaza, and I'm extremely skeptical towards "unbiased" stuff because I don't believe it's possible to be completely unbiased.  I'll call bullshit if I think it's warranted, but the first couple minutes seems pretty decent.

This guy definitely has balls.  Except that he has a press pass and for him to get accepted into Gaza by Hamas means that he's going to be treated specially for propaganda purposes.  He still has balls though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:17:21 PM by Admiral Naismith »
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »

I can be unbiased because I don't have a side. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:54 AM »

Watching the Gangs series. 

London gangs are a bunch of fags.

fatcat

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:33:23 AM »

Watching the Gangs series.  

London gangs are a bunch of fags.

Yup.

You should check the one on Polish neo nazi gangs, they're fucking crazy.

I'm watching it.  Keep in mind I've actually been to Gaza, and I'm extremely skeptical towards "unbiased" stuff because I don't believe it's possible to be completely unbiased.  I'll call bullshit if I think it's warranted, but the first couple minutes seems pretty decent.

If you watch the Gaza one first it might come off as a little biased because he doesn't really mention much about Israel but thats what the other part is for.

I think you'll probably be surprised, he doesn't just go for the easy targets of people who've been worst effected and hate the other side (though he does cover them).

There's quite a few people he talks to on both sides that aren't full of hate and looking in revenge even when they've been badly fucked over which is pretty amazing to see.

Obviously its hard to cover the amount of suffering involved and not come off as one sided, but theres very little color commentary involved.

Also give a couple of parts a watch before you make a judgement cause it takes a while for him to jump about to different aspects of the conflict, and it takes a while to get the basic TV exposition stuff out the way.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:46:58 AM by fatcat »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »

I watched the whole thing, both parts.  I actually thought he did a pretty good job and there were only two instances where I wasn't gripping my chair with interest.  I thought the UN part was retarded, and I wanted to kick that UN fag's ass for being a bitch, but that wasn't really Kemp's fault.  He did a surprisingly good job.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:11 PM »

I'll get to my criticisms now one by one because I have better things to do then sit and critique a video.

First, a picture is painted of pre-wall Gaza being economically rich and well off with a quality of life equal to that of Israel's.  This is far from the case.  When I went to Gaza in '99 before the wall was built it was a shithole.  Just as bad as most of urban Egypt if not a lot worse.  And that was when many Palestinians were employed by Israelis.  It was also during a relatively quiet period with little terrorism.  But I do remember driving through Gaza city in a piece of shit rental Kia 2-door junker car with my red haired mother and my grandparents and getting the finger from random people on the street for no reason.  WTF did I do to these people to deserve the finger?  These poor assholes were living a shitty lifestyle for the same reason IMO that poor black people on welfare in the inner city live shitty lifestyles.  They've been on Israeli welfare their entire lives and have been brainwashed since being little children that all Jews are evil and the reason they have a shitty life, even though the Jews were the ones giving them the welfare and the electricity and jobs to the ones who actually worked for a living.  Except for some of the bombed out structures, Gaza looked pretty much the same as it did in that video. 

What I did notice was that some of these folks were industrious, and you could tell because they dressed nicely and were friendly, kind of like the guy who said that Hamas was bringing the attacks on itself, and that they were the reason his "industrial park" was shut down.  He was well dressed and clearly didn't hate all Jews and white people and appeared to be industrious.  And there are a few of those folks in the inner city welfare ghettos as well, just not many.  I really don't have a solution besides having Hamas listen to this guy and do what he suggested: Stop launching random rocket attacks at Israel.  Stop blaming the Jews and white people for their problems.

I do remember that the West Bank had more of his type there, and today they seem to be following his suggestions and as illustrated in the Israel half of the show are much better off for it.  War sucks.

fatcat

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »

I'll get to my criticisms now one by one because I have better things to do then sit and critique a video.

First, a picture is painted of pre-wall Gaza being economically rich and well off with a quality of life equal to that of Israel's. 

Where did you get that from? The only thing he really says about it is that it was better before Hamas got in, and prices were lower before the blockade. Don't remember him ever comparing it to being like Israel.

But I do remember driving through Gaza city in a piece of shit rental Kia 2-door junker car with my red haired mother and my grandparents and getting the finger from random people on the street for no reason.  WTF did I do to these people to deserve the finger? 

oh the humanty!

These poor assholes were living a shitty lifestyle for the same reason IMO that poor black people on welfare in the inner city live shitty lifestyles.  They've been on Israeli welfare their entire lives and have been brainwashed since being little children that all Jews are evil and the reason they have a shitty life, even though the Jews were the ones giving them the welfare and the electricity and jobs to the ones who actually worked for a living. 

1. Break legs.
2. Hand out crutches.

??????

Did you listen to the guy who say he used to work in Israel before the blockade, and that he doesn't hate Israelis just the Israeli government. The guy who got his house destroyed? How the fuck is that an unreasonable position? Wait, let me guess he's just a tiny minority and most Gazans are just mindless jew hating welfare lovers.

You know whats ironic, you generalizing about all Gazans being brainwashed and thinking all jews are evil

I really don't have a solution besides having Hamas listen to this guy and do what he suggested: Stop launching random rocket attacks at Israel.  Stop blaming the Jews and white people for their problems.

100,000 out of 125,000 Gazans who used to work in Israel now don't since the blockade began. Though it was pure benevolence for Israelis to even give jobs in the first place, so I guess thats okay.

Who gives a fuck about Israeli businesses who lost their workers, they'll probably be better off without them.

I'm guessing you're in favour of bombing trade tunnels and building anti tunnel walls. You think they're going to less welfare dependent if all black market trade actually got shut down?

The 2/3rds of products on the market are now black market goods. Around 20-50 million dollars of trade per month goes through the tunnels.

Before the blockade a bag of cement went for 20 shekels, then it went to 180 when it first started being smuggled, now it goes for 60-90.

There's been $2,000,000,000 of damage in the 2009 war.

How the fuck do you expect people to rebuild their houses? That's not Hamas who've done that, its Israel restricting trade, for Hamas and innocent businessmen alike.

Hamas are responsible for the people they kill and the houses they destroy, and Israel is responsible for the people they kill and the houses they destroy and the blockade.

You think Hamas have any trouble getting cement or weapons? They're making tax revenue from smuggling, so what the fuck is it actually achieving except stopping people from getting work and raising the prices of things.

How exactly is it moral to use violence restrict peaceful businessman from voluntarily trading, for the actions of other people?

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »

Oh jeez, I expected you to go flame me for giving my personal experience.  Of course it's just my fault for being Jewish.  Nothing to do with Gaza being a shithole controlled by a terrorist organization that uses children to do hazardous work and as suicide bombers.  Yeah, it's all the fault of the Jews that these people brainwash their children to sacrifice their lives to kill a few "Jewish Pigs".  Did you even watch the Gaza video?

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »

Oh jeez, I expected you to go flame me for giving my personal experience.  Of course it's just my fault for being Jewish.  Nothing to do with Gaza being a shithole controlled by a terrorist organization that uses children to do hazardous work and as suicide bombers.  Yeah, it's all the fault of the Jews that these people brainwash their children to sacrifice their lives to kill a few "Jewish Pigs".  Did you even watch the Gaza video?

What are their motives?  Why do they brainwash children to sacrifice their lives.

Do they hate em for their freedumb.....i mean religion. What is it? 
could it be the apartheid?  Oh no, they hate em for being jews.  I get it.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 01:51:49 AM »

What are their motives?  Why do they brainwash children to sacrifice their lives.

Do they hate em for their freedumb.....i mean religion. What is it? 
could it be the apartheid?  Oh no, they hate em for being jews.  I get it.
Because they are religious nuts who are A) out of their minds and B) being controlled by terrorist states like Syria and Iran

And there is no apartheid.

fatcat

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »

Of course it's just my fault for being Jewish.

Where did I say that? nowhere.

You just can't handle a reasoned debate so you have to fall back on the lazy "YOU JUST HATE JEWS!" card.

Because they are religious nuts who are A) out of their minds and B) being controlled by terrorist states like Syria and Iran

Why is it bad for Gazans to think all Israelis are evil, but its not bad for Israelis to think all Gazans are "out of their minds" terrorists?

You're exactly like the Gazans who say all Jews are evil.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:59:39 AM by fatcat »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 12:59:05 AM »

I'm sorry to take this thread into an alternate direction, but I've finished the Ross Kemp Gangs  documentaries, and I figured this would be a good place to say something about it. 

I just can't believe the balls on this guy.  He does seem to lean more towards the pro-state side of everything, but I think tries to be fair about it.  The world is a fucked up place, and he's seen a lot of fucked up shit.  The worse the places, the less government structure, every single time.  Huge disparities of poverty versus a small enclave of wealthy, like Haiti for example.  It pretty much reflects my beliefs that a total absence of structure is a bad thing. 

Anyway...  In the last episode of Gangs, he goes to Kenya and tries to get involved with a tribal gang known as The Mongiki, who are known to be extremely violent, quick to riot, and basically badass crazy Kenyans who'll cut your head off. 

They have an incident which sends them into Riot Mode, one of their leaders was killed by the Kenyan Secret Police, along with two other people.  Cars get burned, bad shit happens.  He and his film crew see these fuckers coming down the road, and run for the trucks, to GTFO before they get killed.  Surprisingly Ross Kemp turns around and tries to chat with the crowd, which turns out to be successful, and they go on their way.  I've seen him do some crazy shit, but this was just completely insane.  The man is fearless. 

Here they come, the crew runs to the safety of their vehicles...

Kemp gets the bright idea to try and talk to them, and gets back out of the car as they were about to haul ass the fuck out of there...

'Ello mates, you seem a bit disgruntled.  Lets 'ave a chat!

The crowd decides not to kill Kemp, and shows him their sign and axe handles.

The polite discussion of grievances.

Right-o, carry on.  And away they go to torch things and chuck rocks at the cops. 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 04:21:19 AM »

Does he calculate how much money each side has stolen from the American tax-victims?

It's not often that you'd get to see a score of trillions to nil...  :x

[...]  The worse the places, the less government structure, every single time.  [...]

Epic definitionof"government"fail.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:25:23 AM by Alex Libman »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Fascinating Documentary : Gaza and Israel

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.