Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  End User License Agreement
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: End User License Agreement  (Read 4721 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
End User License Agreement
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:51:01 AM »

Everyone I know of clicks on the "I accept" area of any software end user license agreement, but even if you agree, I don't think that you are really involved in a binding contract.

I don't see how a company that intentionally obfuscates an agreement could justifiably hold you to that same agreement if there was no expectation that you had read it in the first place, and furthermore, when certain pieces of hardware are designed without the ability to opt out of agreement of software end user license agreements, then since there is no reasonable way to opt out, then there is no actual agreement between the manufacturer and you.

What are your thoughts on this and other cases of contractual agreement?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:59:18 AM by Diogenes The Cynic »
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Bill Brasky

Re: End User License
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »

Everyone I know of clicks on the "I accept" area of any software end user license agreement, but even if you agree, I don't think that you are really involved in a binding contract.

I don't see how a company that intentionally obfuscates an agreement could justifiably hold you to that same agreement if there was no expectation that you had read it in the first place, and furthermore, when certain pieces of hardware are designed without the ability to opt out of agreement of software end user license agreements, then since there is no reasonable way to opt out, then there is no actual agreement between the manufacturer and you.

Those things are mostly to remove them from liability if you incur financial damage by using their product.  

Theres other crap in the boilerplate about unauthorized reproductions, which they could come after you for.  Chances of that are almost zero, unless you're a Pirate Bay kinda guy, and they really want to grind you into powder.  

But mostly, you can't hold them responsible if the shit crashes and you lose money because of it.  Thats the terms you're accepting.  Beacuse if you do have Important Shit on your business machines, you have to insure them and buy maintenance contracts, have redundant systems and back-ups.  

The first level of shit you'll have to pay for, is usually the first level of shit a company will want to get out of paying for.  Clicking [I ACCEPT] absolves them of that responsibility.  So, it is  a contract, its just kinda backwards of the way you're thinking.  

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: End User License Agreement
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:01:37 AM »

I agreed to WHAAA?!   

A contract is invalid unless there's proof that all parties signed that contract consciously.  That "by using this you agree to that" insanity is pure bullshit!  You can't prove who / what clicked that "I AGREE" button and in what circumstances - an install program can easily be patched / automated to alter or remove that screen altogether!

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:37:24 PM »

I run Linux, there is no EULA that I have to agree to.

It's on the various web pages, in the documentation and such, but at least they don't NAG me about it.

That may very well be what drove me away from commercial software, I just loath being nagged.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

blackie

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »

I do automated installs most of the time, so I don't see that stuff, even on Windows.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »

(In what must be a good candidate for the Ironic Happening Of The Year award, I experienced a massive Firefox crash while writing this reply - and guess what OS I was running?  That's right, Ubuntu Linux!  It still crashes whenever I visit a certain anti-GNU site I wanted to paste something from...  It also failed to recover my session / this textarea buffer, so I have to retype my rant from memory, which now I probably won't...  I'll only spend a few more hours torturing myself with Linux desktop, and then uninstall X and turn this into a mysql server, which I need for work.  I don't recall having Firefox crash and burn like that under Windows - ever!)

Your ignorance is mind-boggling.  Clearly you've never earned a penny as a developer in your life.  Linux has one of the most tyrannical license agreements ever invented - the Gee Pee Ell!

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:11:11 PM »

I sign only if it's a widely known and used service with a good reputation. Otherwise, I read the fine print. All of it. And, if I don't understand something, I don't take the risk.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »

(In what must be a good candidate for the Ironic Happening Of The Year award, I experienced a massive Firefox crash while writing this reply - and guess what OS I was running?  That's right, Ubuntu Linux!  It still crashes whenever I visit a certain anti-GNU site I wanted to paste something from...  It also failed to recover my session / this textarea buffer, so I have to retype my rant from memory, which now I probably won't...  I'll only spend a few more hours torturing myself with Linux desktop, and then uninstall X and turn this into a mysql server, which I need for work.  I don't recall having Firefox crash and burn like that under Windows - ever!)

Your ignorance is mind-boggling.  Clearly you've never earned a penny as a developer in your life.  Linux has one of the most tyrannical license agreements ever invented - the Gee Pee Ell!

Firefox sucks.  Opera FTW.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 10:33:10 PM »

I sign only if it's a widely known and used service with a good reputation. Otherwise, I read the fine print. All of it. And, if I don't understand something, I don't take the risk.

If you don't understand your end of a contract, could you be held to it?

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »

Firefox sucks.  Opera FTW.

Yeah, I'm just way too addicted to several Firefox-only add-ons right now.

I'll try to quit Firefox again when Chrome matures on all OS'es.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:00:13 AM »

Your ignorance is mind-boggling.

Not at all.

Please show me, in your vast self-stated knowledge, where I must agree to anything what so ever in order to use Linux or any other F/OSS on Linux. (since I think FireFox does provide the GPL at install time on Windows as a click-through)

There is none. Nada. Nicht. Zilch. Zero.

No click-throughs, no nags. Just a notice in the documentation: This software provided without warrantee of any kind, explicit or implied. Stallman's "Freedom 0" in fact. As you've styled yourself a widely experienced developer, I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Clearly you've never earned a penny as a developer in your life.

Unlike you, I have never claimed to be a developer. I don't make vast claims of expertise where I am not an expert.

Linux has one of the most tyrannical license agreements ever invented - the Gee Pee Ell!

Just digging yourself into a deeper hole.

The GPL is not an end-user licence agreement. Didn't you read the thread subject? You go on and on in other threads about how the subject is something this or something that, objecting to other people's variations and drift. But apparently you can't read the subject here.

The GPL covers re-use of the source code. You should read it some time, then you'd know that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:10:05 AM by BobRobertson »
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »

If I remember correctly, that's why so-called "shrink wrap" agreements were tossed out. Get it home, open the box, and only _then_ find out what the "license" is? Doesn't work for me either.

Unfortunately, we're still in a legal "system" in which ignorance of the law is no defense. So if you have to click "agree" to a license which has restrictive terms, it's assumed legally that you did agree to it.

Sort of a legal "caveat emptor", clicker beware.

Oh, and I just remembered that some F/OSS does provide the GPL when installing on Windows, with an "I agree" button. So I'll have to amend my take-down of A.L. above.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »

If I remember correctly, that's why so-called "shrink wrap" agreements were tossed out. Get it home, open the box, and only _then_ find out what the "license" is? Doesn't work for me either.

Unfortunately, we're still in a legal "system" in which ignorance of the law is no defense. So if you have to click "agree" to a license which has restrictive terms, it's assumed legally that you did agree to it.

Sort of a legal "caveat emptor", clicker beware.

Oh, and I just remembered that some F/OSS does provide the GPL when installing on Windows, with an "I agree" button. So I'll have to amend my take-down of A.L. above.

I think that this should apply to basically any legal contract where one party intentionally makes a contract so difficult to understand then tries to wrangle a legal settlement out of it that they like. It shouldn't happen.

One time, a person I knew had payed for insurance but couldn't get coverage for something they payed for because of a technicality in the contract. I argued that the insurance company engaged in fraud by not intending to cover.

-Dennis Goddard

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »

If you don't understand it, then why would you sign that you DO understand it?

"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 01:05:54 PM »

If you don't understand it, then why would you sign that you DO understand it?

We are not interested in practicality here. This is about theory.

The peson signed the contract because they would be entitled to something from it that they wanted.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  End User License Agreement

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.