Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Eminent domain in New Hamphire
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eminent domain in New Hamphire  (Read 2386 times)

triddle

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Unix and Welding geek extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Tyler Riddle.com
Eminent domain in New Hamphire
« on: February 07, 2006, 01:18:08 PM »

I sent this email to Manwich last night.... just incase the show is too busy for it to get some time I'm copying it here.

Howdy Manwich,

I'd call in myself about this tomorrow but I'll be in class during the
show so an email will have to do. I certainly respect your opinion on
using eminent domain in New Hampshire to take the house of the supreme
court justice who voted to allow taking of private property for use by
another private individual or company; it is an awful act that should
be flat out illegal. However, I can't agree that using the same
treatment for that particular justice is the way to go.

I always try to keep one thing in mind: constructive, not destructive.
While the Feds have committed a destructive act against the entire
nation, the people of New Hampshire have a golden opportunity for
something constructive. The fact that the New Hampshire constitution
allows for the taking of private property for another private
individual (even if that individual is a libertarian!) is in fact the
problem. The constructive thing to do is to amend the New Hampshire
state constitution to remove that ability. The people of New Hampshire
can rest comfortably in their houses knowing they won't be taken away.

Isn't that much better than violent acts against disgusting
politicians? An amendment *will* solve the problem and violence only
begets more violence.

Respectfully,

Triddle from Washington

eukreign

• View Profile
Re: Eminent domain in New Hamphire
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:04 PM »

Such an Amendment won't pass unless you put the politicians feet to the fire. Actually the goal of the whole process of taking Sueters land is not to take his land in the long run but to get the amendment passed and the quickest way to get the amendment passed is to cause some problems for the politicians which would be alleviated by passing the amendment.

triddle

• FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Tyler Riddle.com
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 01:44:16 PM »

Such an Amendment won't pass unless you put the politicians feet to the fire. Actually the goal of the whole process of taking Sueters land is not to take his land in the long run but to get the amendment passed and the quickest way to get the amendment passed is to cause some problems for the politicians which would be alleviated by passing the amendment.

Hmmmmmm, that is a good point, but is targeting Souter going to achieve that? Why not target the members of the State Legislature or the Governor? Seems they have much more influence in the State level politics than a Federal Supreme Court Justice does. Targeting Souter seems like pointless retribution; while it feels good, I'm not sure targeting him is going to achieve the desired goals. Or do you think the progression would go:

* Take Souter's home
  * The folks of NH glare at their State legislature and lick their lips when looking at their homes
  * State level politicians shit bricks knowing they are next
  * State level constitutional amendment

I'm an open minded guy so I'm interested in your thoughts.

eukreign

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »

Hmmmmmm, that is a good point, but is targeting Souter going to achieve that? Why not target the members of the State Legislature or the Governor? Seems they have much more influence in the State level politics than a Federal Supreme Court Justice does. Targeting Souter seems like pointless retribution; while it feels good, I'm not sure targeting him is going to achieve the desired goals. Or do you think the progression would go:

* Take Souter's home
  * The folks of NH glare at their State legislature and lick their lips when looking at their homes
  * State level politicians shit bricks knowing they are next
  * State level constitutional amendment

I'm an open minded guy so I'm interested in your thoughts.

Not really my thoughts, I'm just telling you what I've read many times from many different peoples on other forums.

Also, I don't think it matters who the politician is, they all stick together when it comes to defending themselves from the big the big enemy (the people). If one of them is under attack they know they can easily be next. Also they don't want to set too many precedents where outraged citizens got what they wanted so they will pass any laws necessary to get control back. In this case passing the law against eminent domain will also benefit the enemy (the people). Win-win situation (except for companies that were looking to use eminent domain to their advantage).

triddle

• FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Tyler Riddle.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 02:10:03 PM »

Also, I don't think it matters who the politician is, they all stick together when it comes to defending themselves from the big the big enemy (the people). If one of them is under attack they know they can easily be next. Also they don't want to set too many precedents where outraged citizens got what they wanted so they will pass any laws necessary to get control back. In this case passing the law against eminent domain will also benefit the enemy (the people). Win-win situation (except for companies that were looking to use eminent domain to their advantage).

Thanks for clearing that up; those are some pretty good bits of insight. I'm not really for using force against anyone, but if I had to, it would definitely be against the Feds first. In any case, I hope a State constitutional amendment makes it before I move to NH for the FSP.

BenTucker

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 02:10:42 PM »

what is the geo-libertarian angle?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Eminent domain in New Hamphire

// ]]>

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 32 queries.