Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Dumb shit that people fight about. Religious war flame bait here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb shit that people fight about. Religious war flame bait here.  (Read 7410 times)

Fred

• View Profile
Re: Dumb shit that people fight about. Religious war flame bait here.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »

Kel Tec with 14 rounds does sound awesome.

other one drops brass in same place?  how?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »

other one drops brass in same place?  how?

Forward facing ejection tube. Watch.

[youtube]t9Xqa2vwq60[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Xqa2vwq60

It is also a bullpup, obviously, and is ambidextrous in every other way. (Safety levers etc.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:00:09 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »

damn!  I can see why you'd want one - looks like it kicks like a mule.  I guess it can take the heat even when fully automatic?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »

I guess it can take the heat even when fully automatic?

No full auto. Semiauto only. It's definitely designed to handle you pulling the trigger as fast as you can, though.

And of course it shoots .308, so aiming + shooting will do a hell of a lot more damage than spraying.

Bonus Smartass comment: "The reason .223 assault rifles are capable of three round bursts and .308's don't as often is because it takes three .223's to do the same damage as a .308"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:11:38 PM by John Shaw »

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »

so, its legal and I guess the short length helps explain the recoil.  Now I'm wanting one of em too!

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 07:20:30 PM »

I guess it can take the heat even when fully automatic?

No full auto. Semiauto only. It's definitely designed to handle you pulling the trigger as fast as you can, though.

And of course it shoots .308, so aiming + shooting will do a hell of a lot more damage than spraying.

Bonus Smartass comment: "The reason .223 assault rifles are capable of three round bursts and .308's don't as often is because it takes three .223's to do the same damage as a .308"

didn't know.308's were so effn powerful!  I don't know much about ammo, but my neighbor has a 300 magnum that shoots damn hard!

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »

didn't know.308's were so effn powerful!  I don't know much about ammo, but my neighbor has a 300 magnum that shoots damn hard!

.308 is sorta a baseline standard that other 30 cal rounds are measured by. (Well, that and the 30.06)

Obviously there are a shitpile of specialty rounds like the 300 Win/Mag, .338 Lapua etc that can do more, but if you go to a 600 yard high power rifle competition (No scope mind you) everyone is using .308.

I, personally, can get a consistent 7-8 inch grouping without a scope at 600 yards using a Remington 700, and while I'm pretty good, I'm not a regular competitive shooter anymore. (Been three years or so.)

With a scope and knowing what you're doing, I can get the same groups at 850 yards with no problem, and 900 on a good day. At 900 though you're facing too many wind/drop/energy loss variables to be sure every time. the 7.62x51 has less power so not quite as good.

Basically what I'm saying is - I'd rather be great at a round like .308/7.62x51 than only good at a .338 Lapua or .300 Win Mag because I can't afford to shoot the things nearly as often.

Also, emergency situations require not the best, but the most commonly used goods.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »

.308 is sorta a baseline standard that other 30 cal rounds are measured by. (Well, that and the 30.06)

Obviously there are a shitpile of specialty rounds like the 300 Win/Mag, .338 Lapua etc that can do more, but if you go to a 600 yard high power rifle competition (No scope mind you) everyone is using .308.

I, personally, can get a consistent 7-8 inch grouping without a scope at 600 yards using a Remington 700, and while I'm pretty good, I'm not a regular competitive shooter anymore. (Been three years or so.)

With a scope and knowing what you're doing, I can get the same groups at 850 yards with no problem, and 900 on a good day. At 900 though you're facing too many wind/drop/energy loss variables to be sure every time. the 7.62x51 has less power so not quite as good.

Basically what I'm saying is - I'd rather be great at a round like .308/7.62x51 than only good at a .338 Lapua or .300 Win Mag because I can't afford to shoot the things nearly as often.

Also, emergency situations require not the best, but the most commonly used goods.
Sorry, I gotta go with 7.62x54R baby.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BonerJoe

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »

Would you shoot machine gun .308 ammo through your Sako in a pinch, though?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »

Would you shoot machine gun .308 ammo through your Sako in a pinch, though?

Non corrosive? Sure. It's the other way around that would suck. I made damned sure I knew beforehand that it'd be cool, of course. twenty five hundred dollar guns aren't for fucking up.

.308 does (About) 62,000 psi.

7.62x51 (Military version) does about 60,000 psi.

So pressure issues and gun damage would generally only come from shooting the consumer round in a gun that can only handle military grade rounds. The .308 shell casing is also thinner toward the rim because the gun is expected to be sturdier. The Nato round has really thick brass up front.

The military rounds are weaksauce compared to the consumer rounds.

All the guns I own are rated for .308 anyway, so I shoot whatever and rarely worry about it.  

So yeah, absolutely. I never use corrosive ammo because I'm cheap but not THAT cheap, but milsurp is fine, if slightly weaker.

I have a shitpile of Malaysian Nato sitting around. Bought a whole palate of it several years ago. All 1985 and 1987 manufactured, sealed in PVC. Hell, I'm still shooting Nato crap from 1979. Never have problems.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:01:09 PM by John Shaw »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »

Sorry, I gotta go with 7.62x54R baby.

It's cheap and plentiful, and shoots similarly to 30.06.

Can't reload but it's so cheap most of the time who cares? Used to be able to get 200 rounds of it for free with a $75 Mosin.

I pay around $90 for 200 rounds of Nato milsurp alone, and I don't even get the gun.

<<<Has no beef with it.

Well... Apart from only two guns in the world using the shit*, pretty much. I mean, I've got M-14's, an AR-10, the FN-FAL, the Remington 700, and the Sako, they all shoot .308 and are all very different guns with their own strengths and weaknesses.

*A wild exaggeration but you know, Dragunov and Mosin yo.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:09:11 PM by John Shaw »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Dumb shit that people fight about. Religious war flame bait here.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.