Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Drop the term Capitalism
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Drop the term Capitalism  (Read 17382 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: Drop the term Capitalism
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2009, 11:31:01 AM »

theodorelogan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »

I've definitely had much more success communicating my ideas with people since I dropped the label "anarcho-capitalist" and switched to "voluntarist".  Even "agorist" seems to work better (people don't know what the hell that means, but at least they don't have any pre-conceived notions about what it means that I have to fight).

Just sayin'
Go figure...

RAD!

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2009, 02:47:49 PM »

Pandering to people is so 2007...

After Ron Paul came fucking 5th in New-fucking-Hampshire, it should have been perfectly clear that most people simply don't want to live free and rational lives, they just want to run with the herd and moo.

You can't change those people, you have to separate yourself from them and prove the superiority of your ideas yet by example.

Do the right thing - no matter the consequences.

theodorelogan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »

You can't change those people, you have to separate yourself from them and prove the superiority of your ideas yet by example.

I wasn't born believing what I believe now.  My mind changed, so clearly the minds of some people CAN change.  I was your average "smallish" government chickenhawk republican.  But I was able to change my mind.  I can't say for sure, but I bet that back in those days, using the word "anarchism" to describe ones political beliefs would have been a stumbling block to convincing me.

I definitely agree that the best way to convince people of the superiority of one's ideas is through example.  But that doesn't mean that there is no room for discussion.
Go figure...

RAD!

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »

[...]  But I was able to change my mind.  [...]

Did you have someone pander to you in order to change your mind, or did you RTFM and figure things out for yourself?

BonerJoe

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2009, 06:24:39 PM »

This is the no hijack zone right? Or do you mean "This is the FTL BBS fool, if you didn't want to swim in a cesspool why did you jump in?"

LOL, you'll never get it.

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »

I wasn't born believing what I believe now.  My mind changed, so clearly the minds of some people CAN change.

Code: [Select]
while(value(!BEING_LIBERTARIAN)>value(LIBERTARIANISM)) {    /* antipathy! */
    wastetimeof(LIBERTARIAN);
    feel(SMUG);
    if(FALSE) { /* only happens in theory */
        acceptpremises();
        reconsider();
        changemind();
        break;
        }
}

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »

Um, if you claim that the supposed constant named FALSE can evaluate to truth "in theory", that means we're dealing with hostile code here and cannot trust the actual functionality of the objects to match what is implied by their identifiers.  In other words, this could mean anything, and some compilers might even allow the keywords to be overwritten with macros!  But most illogical of all is the placement of the curly braces - you make me sick!  :lol:

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2009, 12:25:22 AM »

Um, if you claim that the supposed constant named FALSE can evaluate to truth "in theory", that means we're dealing with hostile code here and cannot trust the actual functionality of the objects to match what is implied by their identifiers.  In other words, this could mean anything, and some compilers might even allow the keywords to be overwritten with macros!  But most illogical of all is the placement of the curly braces - you make me sick!  :lol:
I'm saying the theory is that talking to them will change their mind, but it's not that simple. Many people don't want to be right as much as they want to not admit that they have been wrong, and unless you're focusing on people where that's not the case, you'll never get to the part where they change their mind :P

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2009, 12:29:10 AM »

A good optimizing compiler wouldn't even include that code in the final executable...  :shock:

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2009, 12:37:29 AM »

A good optimizing compiler wouldn't even include that code in the final executable...  :shock:
Exactly as intended :D

BonerJoe

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2009, 08:40:45 AM »

Nothing new here, folks.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »

Well, I could still nitpick on why the value() function takes a boolean the first time it is called.  :lol:

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »

Well, I could still nitpick on why the value() function takes a boolean the first time it is called.  :lol:

You're a balloonian.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »

That's pretty much the first chunk of C I've written that wasn't a hello world variant so I expected to make mistakes :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Drop the term Capitalism

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.