Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1304341 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #4995 on: June 01, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »

Never understood why anyone would bother. A lawyer is scum. I like having them clearly marked. Are there any other jobs where one can be fired because one was too principled?

As a aside a good general rule of thumb is deal with a lawyer like one deals with a cop. Only do so if one absolutely has no choice. They don't live in your world, they don't have the same rules and they have less accountability. They are dangerous.

I'm going to have to disagree.  There are a lot of lawyers who are fine people (and professionals).  That's why it's important to weed out the bad ones...just like in any industry.  Look at places like IJ if you want an example of lawyers who are extremely principled and are not "fired".

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: June 01, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

You can be a cop or a soldier and not be fired for being principled. There are no actual rules preventing one from doing the right thing. Like a defense lawyer not letting his guilty client off the hook and what not.
I like to think I stuck to my principles when I was a soldier. 

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: June 01, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »

You can be a cop or a soldier and not be fired for being principled. There are no actual rules preventing one from doing the right thing. Like a defense lawyer not letting his guilty client off the hook and what not.
I like to think I stuck to my principles when I was a soldier. 

It depends on your principles.  If your principles include, at a minimum, the constitution, you can't have principles.  If you're a soldier, you're going to not fight in an unconstitutional war--see how that works for you.  If you're a cop, you're not going to enforce drug laws.  See how that works for you.  Ask Brad the cohost what happens to you if you even ADVOCATE against the drug war.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: June 01, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »

It can be done. It just isn't easy.
As a lawyer though, you literally have to try and win for your client even if he confessed to you and came in his pants while he described the crime. 

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #4999 on: June 01, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »

As a lawyer though, you literally have to try and win for your client even if he confessed to you and came in his pants while he described the crime. 

Same goes for a prosecutor, but in reverse. The whole process is disgusting. They might know full well you are innocent of a crime, but getting that win under their belt is more important than facts in many cases.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: June 01, 2012, 07:17:25 PM »

Can't argue with that. Although I don't think a prosecuter would be disbarred for doing the right thing, they just generally blaze ahead with ruining lives either because they think it would be good for their career or just for kicks. Hence my general belief that the lawyers at the bottom of the sea idea is a pretty good one

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #5001 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »

+1
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #5002 on: June 02, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

Same goes for a prosecutor, but in reverse.

Wait, are we talking about the ideal behavior for a prosecutor, like in the theoretical case in which they have principles? Because they are supposed to only pick the cases in which they believe the defendant is guilty. If the evidence is sketchy, they should drop the case, and for sure if they actually think the defendant is not guilty. They totally have discretion and part of their job is supposed to be picking the cases well.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: June 02, 2012, 11:49:25 AM »

But they don't. Don't you have to be a defense scumbag for years before you can be a prosecuting scumbag with "discretion"?
They couldn't just admit to the unwashed masses that a prosecuter has to be a throat cutting peace of shit, so they just make sure he or she has to work for years being able to be a scumbag because they have to be before they get any discretion or chance to be human.
How heavy a cement block does one need to sink a lawyer? It surely has to be heavier then one for a person because of all the hot air.

ox

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: June 02, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »

But they don't. Don't you have to be a defense scumbag for years before you can be a prosecuting scumbag with "discretion"?
They couldn't just admit to the unwashed masses that a prosecuter has to be a throat cutting peace of shit, so they just make sure he or she has to work for years being able to be a scumbag because they have to be before they get any discretion or chance to be human.
How heavy a cement block does one need to sink a lawyer? It surely has to be heavier then one for a person because of all the hot air.

Your ignorance is showing.  Plus, "defense scumbag"?  Right.  Until the day that you get wrongfully accused.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: June 02, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »

If the cops ever get the drop on me again I will be quite guilty. I don't make the same mistake twice.
 However please inform me why a world with lawyers is better then one without.
 I don't want to hate lawyers, experience with them made me do so.
 Please tell me a story where a lawyer helped someone against anything but other lawyers.
 Thank you in advance.

ox

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: June 02, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »

If the cops ever get the drop on me again I will be quite guilty. I don't make the same mistake twice.
Yes, the wrongfully accused and the wrongfully convicted are always the ones at fault.  :roll: :roll:
However please inform me why a world with lawyers is better then one without.
This query is inane.  I think it is the monopoly system to which you object, not to the members themselves.

I don't want to hate lawyers, experience with them made me do so.
You have experience with every lawyer on earth?

Please tell me a story where a lawyer helped someone against anything but other lawyers.
 Thank you in advance.
Not sure if you want an example of something nice that I did for someone in my family just today, or maybe this recent case where we opened up a jail's mail policy a little bit for all prisoners and their correspondents, or maybe you're looking for an example like this trial lawyers charitable foundation that he runs on the side: http://www.keenanskidsfoundation.com/

There are countless examples of lawyers doing good deeds for others. 

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: June 03, 2012, 04:08:27 AM »

Yes it is the monopoly I dislike. I know there are plenty of good lawyers. There are also nice cops and soldiers. I just want to put most of them out of work, that is all. I don't really want to drown them all geeze. I am not even for the death penalty for murderers for gods sake.
By the way do you know you can use "red herring" techniques to derail thread directions you don't like?

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: June 03, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »

It depends on your principles.  If your principles include, at a minimum, the constitution, you can't have principles.  If you're a soldier, you're going to not fight in an unconstitutional war--see how that works for you.  If you're a cop, you're not going to enforce drug laws.  See how that works for you.  Ask Brad the cohost what happens to you if you even ADVOCATE against the drug war.

Most soldiers don't fight in wars.  I knew people sent to Iraq in the medical field.  I know a guy sent there to be a mail clerk.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: June 03, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »

I was on the attack force in Desert Storm for what it was worth. I was known as a bad choice to give illegal orders to, but I hadn't heard of the NAP at that point. I will concede that being in war with my currant principles would be much more difficult. I don't think having a REMF job in wartime gives one a excuse to be a "principled" person in a illegal war.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.