Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1304140 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #4890 on: March 18, 2012, 11:56:02 PM »

There's no way somebody destroyed that post with a bad.  That's got to have been a sledgehammer or something heavier/more powerful than a bat.  Either that, or they must be putting something in the water up there in NH :P

BonerJoe

« Reply #4891 on: March 19, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »

It was me.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: March 19, 2012, 05:10:31 AM »

Probly back-handed it like smacking a mosquito.  Thing was an atrocious construction, I think they call those "dove lap" joints, but I forget my carpentry lingo. 

I donno how the plow-splash didn't break it off, or a rather large bird taking flight.

Sluggo is a dickhole. 

Last time I built a mailbox post, I found a twisty looking blow-down tree in the woods, carved the bark off'n it, chain-sawed it to the appropriate length, and shellacked it about nineteen times.  Hauled it out of the woods with a bullrope, and a yoke.   

You could knock the box off it, but you'd never knock the post down, unless you hit it about sixty MPH with a Ford F-150.  But I wouldn't recommend that.  Probly flip the truck when the cement ball came out of the earth.

Oh, funny story about that, too.  After I planted it, I numbered it by counting the houses.  Then the mailman told me I was wrong.  I told him to suck my ass, and had mail delivered to the street-number I selected. 

So then, one day, I got a letter from the Postmaster, at that address, in that box, saying they didn't recognize that address.  (which is a total paradox)

I took the letter to the Post Office.  I said "What the fuck is this?", and showed him my drivers license with the house number on it, and some bills, and stuff like that.

The Post Office Fuck said "apparently, they disagree with the house number."

I said "Thats 'cause I chose it randomly, by counting houses, and decided I liked the number 'twenty-seven'."

He says "You can't do that."

I says, "But, I did.  And now all my shit comes to that number".

They just caved.  My mailman hated me.  When they eventually built my next-door neighbors house, it caused a bunch of problems.  And then they hated me, too.

It fucked up the whole neighborhood.

About six months-ish later, a guy named Pooch who was a Township Bigwig waved me down, during one of his clipboard walks.  Said it amused the hell out of him, and to stop up the office and get permits for a couple things, which I never did.  Didn't give a shit, abandoned the house.

To this day, the number still stands, and so does the post.

That was in 2000.  Twelve years is pretty good long time for something to stand that everybody has a big fuckin' problem with.  It should stand at least another twelve.

I'm pretty sure Pooch is dead by now, and that is the story of my mail-box post. 

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #4893 on: March 19, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »

^ Awesome as always

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: March 19, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »

If you use a rail car spring as the post, it will be impossible to knock down.  You can weld the box to the top of the spring and that thing will be invincible.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: March 19, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »

Better yet do what my neighbor did.

About 4 or 5 years ago we had a group of teens that would play mailbox baseball every weekend.  My neighbor got hit 3 weekends in a row.  So he decided to build the baseball proof mailbox.  Had the box made of 3/8" thick steel rolled into normal mail box shape.  Back wall and floor also 3/8" steel and welded together.  Powdercoated it black and bolted it onto a 6' lally column sunk into a 3' cement filled hole.

Installed it on a Monday when the little shits were in school.

Sure enough Sunday morning there was a scuff on the side of the mailbox where an aluminum bat was introduced.

Monday afternoon there was a screaming mother at his front door yelling about how her darling angel gt a broken wrist from that illegal mailbox.  There was a loud threat to sue made.  My neighbor then very calmly thanked the woman for coming forward as he didn't know who had been knocking down mailboxes all over the neighborhood for the last month and a half.  Now that the perpetrator was known and admitted she could expect a series of small claims court summonses from all the victims.  Amazingly she STFU and left without ever pressing the lawsuit.

Was epic.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #4896 on: March 19, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »

I have neither time nor training nor aptitude for welding or other such projects. I type for a living, see.
Anyway, an FSPer shared this link, I think we're going with it. Criticism/alternatives welcomed

http://www.fortknoxmailbox.com/

BonerJoe

« Reply #4897 on: March 19, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »

Are you sure it wasn't a lightning strike?

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: March 19, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »

I have neither time nor training nor aptitude for welding or other such projects. I type for a living, see.
Anyway, an FSPer shared this link, I think we're going with it. Criticism/alternatives welcomed

Well he had the box made at a local metal fab shop and sent to the local powdercoater.  All he did was dig the hole, set the lally column from Home Depot, paint the column, and bolt on the mailbox.

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #4899 on: March 19, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »

I got one of those at my last house after losing a couple cheapo boxes to vandals. Never took any noticeable damage, although I would occasionally hear a loud clang and cursing from the end of the driveway.

The one problem I had was dealing with the key hole freezing in the winter time.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »

I got one of those at my last house after losing a couple cheapo boxes to vandals. Never took any noticeable damage, although I would occasionally hear a loud clang and cursing from the end of the driveway.

The one problem I had was dealing with the key hole freezing in the winter time.

I have the freezing lock problem with newspaper racks.  Just get a small propane torch - it works in seconds!~

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: March 20, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »

looks like it was hit from underneath the box. I assume it was kicked upwards. I would look for a perp that tends to wear workboots or has a broken toe.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: March 21, 2012, 03:53:09 AM »

Total, with post, and concrete bags - $400 minimum.

I'd probly opt for a post office box.  Just stop there once a week, pick up your shit.  Its not like anything good ever comes in the mail anyways.  Everything I care about comes UPS, or FedEx.

--

You see the new USPS commercials?  Direct Mail for companies.  No wonder they're about to go under. 

They're pushing junk mail.  Like, they never heard of Google.  Splatter a geographic area with the most un-green shit ever, no matter if they want it or not! 

Its like they never heard of eyeball views or clicks, or anything. 

We will personally send a living person to your house, with a paper card, which they will throw away, and the guy earns fifty grand a year, drives a carbon-burning truck, and gives an ecologically damaging piece of garbage to an unwanting recipient! 

Un-fucking-believable.

Every other company on earth is pushing green and paperless.  These dill-holes are trying to get people to buy a carbon footprint the size of Jupiter, to keep their jackass slackers employed so they can sleep half the day in Burger King parking lots. 

You buy that post..  I won't say any negative shit, but I'll surely think some negative shit. 

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: March 22, 2012, 06:50:46 AM »

It seems the defecation is certainly hitting the oscillation, and Will is not the only one fleeing:

http://freekeene.com/2012/03/21/peaceful-devolution/

Ian Freeman is embarrassing.

It’s a view you rarely/never see on this blog, but it’s a view held by myself and a serious portion of liberty activists in the Keene area. (Not to mention the overwhelming majority of Keene residents.) Lately it’s been the senseless pestering of city bureaucrats, the quixotic school outreach, and his involvement in the war on grandmas. Yes, he does other things which are more legitimate and professional, but, for as long as I’ve been in New Hampshire, it seems that Ian has always been vocally supporting activism that’s jarringly wrong-headed.

I joined this blog in 2010 in order to openly criticize certain activist tactics that struck me as counterproductive. At the time, I was worried that the suppression of criticism was creating an atmosphere of groupthink– a situation where the systematic lack of criticism leads groups to make wildly irrational decisions. Since then, I’ve changed some hearts and minds with regards to criticism, and caused people to look twice at things they’ve taken for granted. This has been very satisfying.

But, where it really matters, I have failed. I had assumed the groupthink emerged spontaneously from the interactions of many people. In reality, groupthink occurs because Ian Freeman consistently and deliberately marginalizes criticism and critics, and derails open discussions of the flaws of activist strategies.

It took this thread on the Shire Society forum to make me understand this. (I get a bit carried away in my first posts because I’m blinded by rage, but take a few days to calm down, and post more reasonably later.)

Since I’m not as irrational as Ian, I’m acknowledging this new information, and changing my own tactics accordingly. It’s pointless to try to debate with someone who doesn’t believe there should be debate or open discussion.

Short of coercion, the only realistic option available to those of us who would like to see activist tactics improve, rather than stagnate or regress, is to apply social pressure to make Ian stop. I am convinced that this is the only way things will change. It’s frustrating and absurd that it has come down to this, but Ian has blocked every other alternative.

As part of this effort, I will no longer be posting on Free Keene. More than anything else at this point, I suspect that my blogging only feeds Ian’s egomania. Like a Democrat on Fox news, I’m just here to support the pretense that Free Keene is fair and balanced.

I know some of my fellow bloggers agree with these concerns, and I encourage them to join me. Perhaps it’s time for a new group blog, one not stifled by Free Keene’s cult of personality. Alternately, I’m sure Free Manch would welcome new bloggers.

Adiós Free Keene, and good riddance.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:52:27 AM by Sluggers »

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4904 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »

This is from http://forum.shiresociety.com/free-talk-live/i-expect-nothing-just-gotta-say-it/msg58733/#msg58733

My diagnosis of the problem is that it is dominated by just a few people with no life. If you're willing to devote the time, post very frequently and sometimes even create sock puppets or band together with a few others with no life, you can completely control the atmosphere of a forum. Just because I have a diagnosis does not mean I know the cure. :)

So instead you join the group that dominates the board. Just sayin'

Oh, wow. You dug up and necroed a thread that's been dead for 2 years for a comment that's 4 years old for that zinger, aye? Was it worth it? Do you feel better now?

I assume you're talking about when I woke up one day as a mod, that I never asked for.

And FWIW, since the 4 years since I posted that, I do like the FTL forum better. L*bman's gone, after all. It's still mainly for shits & giggles but nothing wrong with that.

FWIW, blackie demoted me from mod to shithead so my suggestion was to make blackie a shithead for a day.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:04:16 PM by Dalebert »
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 32 queries.