Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1306688 times)

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #4815 on: February 02, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »

As well, I'm sure, do the original residents of "The Shire", before this whole thing began.
Here's a little inside info: anyone who refers to New Hampshire as "The Shire" sounds, to people who live in NH and are not FSPers, weirder than a cock in a frock on Ayer's Rock

Pretty sure it sounds that way to those of us who are FSPers as well.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #4816 on: February 02, 2012, 04:22:57 PM »

People who moved "early" or just plain quickly are generally gonna fall into four categories.

1. The fucking crazies. (A teeny tiny percentage)

2. People who can afford it. (A small percentage)

3. Young people who have no attachments or financial responsibilities. (A good chunk)

4. Shiftless dirty fucking hippy nomad types. (A giant swathe)

For what it's worth, category three will grow up and adjust to the coolness vibe after maybe a period of assholery, and it seems like category one and four get stomped on pretty hard and leave.

As for the general drama of it all, well, ostracism has to be public and has to be loud. Calling it "Drama" and trying to position oneself "Above it all" ends up not working, because drama is basically the go-to method for dealing with bad people when you aren't utilizing the state.

Drama comes with the territory, frankly. Makes it hard for some people. I fucking hate that shit, but I'll do it. Somebody is bad, and you've tried talking to them about it and they're assholes, you call them out publicly. Making a big stink about how it's "None of anyone else's business." is kinda missing the point. Ostracism IS MAKING IT EVERYONE ELSE'S BUSINESS.

It's ugly and stressful but it's what people like us have when we've tried all the other non-force methods.

Hell, any dispute resolution by nature is totally centered around dragging another person or people into the mix.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: February 02, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »

Don't forget and don't discount the relatively sane freedom lovers who were here before all you interlopers that can identify every single one of those categories and more.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: February 02, 2012, 06:12:44 PM »

Don't forget and don't discount the relatively sane freedom lovers who were here before all you interlopers that can identify every single one of those categories and more.

That's "People who can afford it."

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: February 02, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »

Or, people who were born here.

Or, people who moved before the FSP made New Hampshire the official location.

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: February 02, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »

It has nothing to do with affordability, I'm talking about those outside your four narrow constructs.

You know free staters did exist in the Free State before the FSP.

There was a reason the majority voted for New Hampshire.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: February 02, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »

It has nothing to do with affordability, I'm talking about those outside your four narrow constructs.

From my original post -

People who moved "early" or just plain quickly are generally gonna fall into four categories.

Learn to read.

I am free stater #<150. I know perfectly well what led up to the current situation.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:19:04 PM by John Shaw »

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: February 02, 2012, 07:40:22 PM »

You might want to learn to read, my comment had nothing to do with your four classes of people.

Those are not "people who can afford it.."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: February 02, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

You might want to learn to read, my comment had nothing to do with your four classes of people.

Those are not "people who can afford it.."

Fine. Wonderful. Fan-fucking-tastic. You shouldn't have probably responded to me talking about movers then, huh?

And as for calling people who move to NH "Interlopers", yeah, please stop being an ass, thanks.

Sheesh.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:14:24 PM by John Shaw »

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: February 02, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »

As well, I'm sure, do the original residents of "The Shire", before this whole thing began.
Here's a little inside info: anyone who refers to New Hampshire as "The Shire" sounds, to people who live in NH and are not FSPers, weirder than a cock in a frock on Ayer's Rock

Pretty sure it sounds that way to those of us who are FSPers as well.

Well, thank god for that.

I was getting a little tired of dry-gagging every time I saw it written in serious.

BonerJoe

« Reply #4825 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:26 PM »

I see the Shire, and the Shire Society as more of an "in club" kind of term to use amongst ourselves up here. I kinda feel silly saying it to anyone who isn't here.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: February 02, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »

1. The fucking crazies. (A teeny tiny percentage)

2. People who can afford it. (A small percentage)

3. Young people who have no attachments or financial responsibilities. (A good chunk)

4. Shiftless dirty fucking hippy nomad types. (A giant swathe)

For what it's worth, category three will grow up and adjust to the coolness vibe after maybe a period of assholery, and it seems like category one and four get stomped on pretty hard and leave.

As for the general drama of it all, well, ostracism has to be public and has to be loud. Calling it "Drama" and trying to position oneself "Above it all" ends up not working, because drama is basically the go-to method for dealing with bad people when you aren't utilizing the state.

Drama comes with the territory, frankly. Makes it hard for some people. I fucking hate that shit, but I'll do it. Somebody is bad, and you've tried talking to them about it and they're assholes, you call them out publicly. Making a big stink about how it's "None of anyone else's business." is kinda missing the point. Ostracism IS MAKING IT EVERYONE ELSE'S BUSINESS.

It's ugly and stressful but it's what people like us have when we've tried all the other non-force methods.

Hell, any dispute resolution by nature is totally centered around dragging another person or people into the mix.

Haha.  Word.

I find theres a difference between "ostracism" and generally being a twat.

Its pretty fucking hard to ostracize someone.  It really is.  All they have to do is stop trying to hang around your group, and your ostracism is basically crapped out.

However - check out this little scenario, and see if it makes you feel a little shitty around the gills...

I cut wood, and lots of it.  Its my bread.  I have loads and loads, cut that shit all summer.

People normally buy cords of my wood, and I count on it.  I have like, a thousand cords, all stacked up.

Nobody really buys cords of woods in the summer, don't need it.  The mad dash starts in the fall. 

I sell a cord to Ostracized Asshole in September. 

I don't pay much attention to the trivialities of The Shire Drama Club. 

Nobody's buying my wood.  Mid-October, I'm in Fandango's Saloon, lamenting my dry-spell of cordwood sales.  Fandango tells me, "Dude, didn't you know?  You sold a cord of wood to Ostracized Asshole, and I shouldn't even be selling you a beer..." 

I don't know about you, but I can't be expected to keep abreast of every ostracized asshole, I don't log-on to the Ostracized Asshole Database and see who's on the shit-list.

But I do know one thing...  if I conducted a fair transaction with the Ostracized Asshole, and I got no beef with him...  but the fuckinasshole who has a grudge against him cost me about thirty grand in sales --  I might be paying a rude visit to someone, and it probably won't be the Ostracized Asshole.

BonerJoe

« Reply #4827 on: February 02, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »

Interesting perspective.

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: February 02, 2012, 11:25:50 PM »

There is no way you can not say that Free State project members are not INTERLOPERS.

By every definition of the word you are.

It is okay, just embrace it.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: February 02, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »

Or, people who were born here.

Or, people who moved before the FSP made New Hampshire the official location.

To "afford" is not necessarily a financial term. 

When people can afford something, it is within their realm of possibilities.  It simply means they can choose to do that, or believe that.  They have the means. 

I can afford to respond, but it costs me nothing.

I can afford myself the guilty pleasure of participation. 

I can afford the time required, as I have an abundance. 

I can afford to gain some weight, it wouldn't hurt me to gain a few pounds, and I might benefit from it.

I can afford to learn a new language - and the way things are, I can't afford not to. 

--

Understand one thing, you didn't get snookered by a word trap.  But not everybody thinks in terms of money. 

Personally, I can't afford it in terms of mental shenanigans.  I can't afford to abandon my family, and I can't afford the stress of playing the "lottery", meeting people I probably wouldn't enjoy on a 100:1 basis.  I need to tilt the odds in my favor to the exact opposite, where I'm most likely to encounter people that are way up my alley. 

I won't make a post ripping ass on FSP participants, because a lot of them ARE cool. 

I'd just rather live my life inconspicuously elsewhere.

There is no way you can not say that Free State project members are not INTERLOPERS.

By every definition of the word you are.

It is okay, just embrace it.

See above.

But as you said, some were born there - so by definition, you're incorrect.

Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.