Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1304127 times)

BonerJoe

Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #4800 on: February 01, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

They don't have a car.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: February 01, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »

They don't have a car.

Well, maybe thats serendipity, 'cause they'd need a truck

And it'd have to be legal, of course.  Inspected, insured, registered, and license all in order.

Reliable pick-up, or van, probly three thousand.  Trailer that isn't totally gross, maybe $5k and up.  Figure another grand for insurance, inspections, registrations, plates..  And another grand for incidentals.  Something always goes wrong with travel trailers.  Needs a new tire, propane, wiring hookup is funky, whatevers. 

All added, looking at $10k, maybe $8k and then nickle-n-diming it over the following months as the gremlins present themselves. 

Plus, you gotta put it somewhere.  Usually a camper campground (about $250 a month with electricity and water), but a friend's farmland is always nice.  Pump-out at a facility, probly once a week, maybe $35 a pop.  (never priced that, just guessing).

Its not cheap.  You can try to be frugal, and learn from experience how to cut corners - but it's never "free", not even remotely free.

Then, you have the convenience we all love..  interwebs.  Mo' money. 

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: February 02, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »

In their case the web should pay for itself, and I think most campgrounds have wireless net. Good point otherwise, sitting down with a calculator and adding all the costs up is a good idea.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: February 02, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »

In their case the web should pay for itself, and I think most campgrounds have wireless net. Good point otherwise, sitting down with a calculator and adding all the costs up is a good idea.

Depends on the campground.  Wi-fi doesn't travel too far, through woods and over hills...  and some campgrounds are pretty big.  Some campgrounds are, all in all, pretty bare-bones.  They may offer wi-fi, but you'd probably have to be sitting right outside the campground office. 

Not hard to check, my phone shows connections.  They'd know pretty easily.  They'd be better off assuming its not provided and be prepared to have their phone act as a hotspot.  And if it's free, terrific.  Assuming they'd travel around occasionally, each campground is different. 

And of course, it must be privately owned.  State parks would be a huge violation of the principles of Free Staters.  Rangers and shit, hells no. 

I'd be more concerned with the bigger issues, like heat, water, electricity.  Propane.  Pumpout. 

You'd have electricity in campgrounds, but maybe not in friends farmland.  Therefore, a genny is necessary.  Like the kind you have in boats, with batteries to catch the juice so the genny can cycle. 

I wouldn't want a "campground-queen" camper that's dependent on utilities provided.  I'd want one that's self-sufficient, that you can haul out to no-mans land if you want.  Campgrounds are just a luxury where you do pumpouts and wash clothes. 

But that's just my preferences.  Maybe they'd prefer being in a camper permanently stationed five miles outside of Keene, but I think that defeats the purpose of portability. 

If thats the concept, might as well just get an apartment like everyone else for 450 a month.  Way cheaper than a camper. 

Spending $10,000 to save 450 a month is idiotic.  You have to work the whole thing out, mathematically.  If they spend $10,000, it'll take over two years to recoup - without factoring in the campground at all.  Part of the expense is the price of the experience, freedom of the road stuff. 

Lookit--

10000, they survive one month..  that month cost them 10000

if they make it three months, it cost them about 3600 a month (because of the extra 300ish expenses)

if they make it ten years, it cost them about 90 a month, plus the additional 300ish rolling monthly expense.

So its never really "free", but it does get cheaper, the deeper you get into it. 

I won't make jokes about them making it ten years.  Thats none of my business.

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: February 02, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »

Stop getting off topic and bring it back to the pertinent issue at hand which is how to kick lowlife scum out of the Shire and ensure they never return.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »

Kicking and keeping sounds like a violation of the NAP to me.

Brasky has said a lot of damn fine food for thought.
Portable generators have gotten so cheap I didn't even consider it a issue. They might want to spend the extra money for a diesel, and use tax free fuel. I agree self contained is important. With that in mind 12 volt and gas is king.
If the main thing is to do it cheaply, I would strip out a older but dry camper and build it up again in a more cabin fashion. A kitchen similar to the one in mine and a washroom (using a camping style port a potty) otherwise open and use camping furniture and air matterasses. Think Gypsy.  :)

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »

Defensive tactics like ostracism, expulsion, and exclusion are not violations of the NAP once the accused has been shown they initially violated the NAP, are unwanted, not to be trusted...etc.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #4807 on: February 02, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »

Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: February 02, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »

Defensive tactics like ostracism, expulsion, and exclusion are not violations of the NAP once the accused has been shown they initially violated the NAP, are unwanted, not to be trusted...etc.
That is true. You also catch more flies with honey then vinegar.
I had a camper once that had a boiler that worked off grid power and gas. A small 12V pump
distributed what was basically automotive coolant around the camper warming it up through small radiators. This same boiler also functioned as a water heater for the taps. The camper I have now has a miniature version of a home water heater so when I am in "off the grid" modis I don't have hot water. The heater uses propane and blows air through vents. It is more durable then the gas boiler type.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: February 02, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »

Stop getting off topic and bring it back to the pertinent issue at hand which is how to kick lowlife scum out of the Shire and ensure they never return.

We probably have different opinions that, categorically. 

As well, I'm sure, do the original residents of "The Shire", before this whole thing began.

Thats why a lot of documents concerning "rights" used the stipulation of "landowner" as a descriptive element. 

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #4810 on: February 02, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »

Hey! That's Methuselah Honeysuckle!!!

He's a good guy.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: February 02, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »

Brasky has said a lot of damn fine food for thought.

Thanks.  I'm not trying to be a smartypants, just don't want to see someone start running with what seems to be a good idea and it turns into a disaster.  It gets cold up there.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: February 02, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »

The only option you really have is individual ostracism.  Individuals can form a group, if like-minded, but still the same thing, only in mutual agreement.

Personally, I don't care.  But if it were me and people refused my business because I am neutral on the subject, due to your campaign, you're probably a worse person than they are. 

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #4813 on: February 02, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »

As well, I'm sure, do the original residents of "The Shire", before this whole thing began.
Here's a little inside info: anyone who refers to New Hampshire as "The Shire" sounds, to people who live in NH and are not FSPers, weirder than a cock in a frock on Ayer's Rock

Sluggers

• View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: February 02, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »

The point is not that "it gets cold up there" rather it is that lowlife scum who don't pay their bills would be travelling the other lower 47 states trying to get people to move to the Free State.

That is an all around terrible idea and would put "a pox on all our houses."
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.