Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1306627 times)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #2850 on: April 23, 2010, 05:31:55 PM »

I have no idea what any of this is about.

You're too new, you missed lots of early drama.

Don't worry, the Keeniacs are making new drama just as good as the old. They are breeding new terrists quicker than we can win the hearts and minds of otherwise neutral parties.

Grab yer bullhorns! Burn yer bras! Freedom now!

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: April 23, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »

I like how Zack Bass has been made into some kind of evil person by those that weren't around at the time that it happened and have only listened to 2nd  or 3rd hand accounts. They should really blame Tim Condon for blabbing to everyone about it in his article on the FSP website. Oh, but no...it was the bad Larry Pendarvis' fault for suggesting that people wouldn't be locked up for mowing their lawn naked or selling crack if the Free Town Project was successful. God, those silly libertarian thoughts!

I wish you would just tell the real story instead of hinting about it all the time.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #2852 on: April 23, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »

You're too new, you missed lots of early drama.

Um... I was FSP member 153. I signed in 2002. Probably before you.

So no.

So, are ya gonna tell me or what?
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: April 23, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »

I'd just like to say that I have no problem with people mowing their lawns naked. Even if they're old, fat, and saggy.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: April 23, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »

I'd also like to say that I have problems with price-gouging and cannibalism. Especially if you're charging me extra on something that came from someone who ate nothing but cheezburger and wasn't a vegetarian.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: April 23, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »

thanks.  I never knew you were so involved or heard it from that angle. 

So uh....  it's no good to mow naked? 

FTL_Mark

• I'm a Moderator now, but I don't want to hear your whining!
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: April 23, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »

I feel like I have learned so much today. Thanks Jay and Blackie!

You are still both trolls :P.
No one has conjectured that I could quite possibly be a Libertarian posing as an Anarchist trying to pretend to still be a Libertarian; or what I like to call an Anarcho-Hustler.

digitalfour

« Reply #2857 on: April 23, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »

Jay is the most gentlemanly person I know.

We've all done things we wish we wouldn't have, and there have always been dicks around that call us out for it. The goal should be to grow and improve through it.

Fuck the haters.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: April 23, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »

I hadn't known anything about BJ being one of the early planners.. or that he wrote so well. Good stuff.

Oldsmar had a great flea market back when I lived in Pinellas Co.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

blackie

« Reply #2859 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »

There was also a page about naming "bad" local NH government employees that Larry and other people had encountered (http://fnhp.com/thelist/). Blackie, isn't that what really led to your creation of the "Save Grafton" blog?
No, it was Robert Hull's purchase of the 237 acre lot.

Larry was always sort of "in your face" about libertarianism. He likes to bring the "statist" out of nerf-libertarians ("those who are afraid to let the voting public know what libertarianism is really all about") by coming up with extreme freedom scenarios. But, everyone seemed to be generally fine with this until the whole Grafton thing explodes with media coverage...because of Tim's article.

I totally fed Daniel Barrick a bunch of information...like 10 pages of Yahoo! Group/forum posts with the juicy parts in bold,  and contact information for the people who were interviewed. People really began to take sides when Daniel started to do interviews. That was a few weeks before the article was published. The Concord Monitor was supposed to publish the article a week earlier, but Ronald Regan died, so it got bumped to the next Sundays newspaper. That was one week before the June 19th meeting.

The Free Town Project is an offshoot of the Free State Project. Members hope to make Grafton a laboratory to test their unconventional ideas.

By DANIEL BARRICK
Monitor staff

June 12, 2004 - 11:12 pm

GRAFTON - Strangers don't have much reason to come to this town of sweeping mountain views and sagging barns. The natives like it that way.

The old Ruggles Mine attracts some tourists each summer. A few Moonies moved in about 10 years ago, but they left after one brutal winter.

But a new challenge may soon break Grafton's isolation. The Free Town Project, a group of libertarians looking for a laboratory to test their ideas, is targeting Grafton. While none has moved in yet, the self-styled "liberators" are laying the groundwork for their vision.

One project member recently bought 400 acres here and is vague about his plans. Another promises to "overwhelm" town elections and rid Grafton of taxes and public education. Such opinions, while viewed by most residents with a mix of skepticism and amusement, are testing the town's independent, live-and-let-live attitude.

"In the '60s, it used to be, 'The Russians are coming!'" said Ken Cushing, owner of Wild Meadows Auto Body. "Now it's 'The libertarians are coming!'"

At the town offices, secretary Bonnie Haubrich said the Free Towners are the talk of nearly everyone who stops by. In e-mails and over coffee at the country store, Graftonites swap rumors about the would-be colonists. Community leaders have invited Free Town Project members to explain their mission at a special meeting this Saturday. Until then, tempers in this town of 1,200 continue to simmer.

"I think everybody's angry about this," said Frank Kimball, an 85-year-old lifelong Grafton resident. "If they get a foothold in here, then you're cooked."

One of the most outspoken Free Towners is Larry Pendarvis of Florida. The 61-year-old Internet consultant runs a mail-order bride service and said he was once a polygamist. He hopes to attract 300 other libertarians to Grafton. With that voting block, he'd dismantle the town planning board, do away with mandatory recycling and shoo away any busybodies.

"Our dream is to move libertarians and only libertarians to Grafton and get rid of the petty Hitlers who try to control things," Pendarvis said in an interview. He'd also do away with "victimless crime" laws, a list of which he recited in a monotone drawl: selling drugs, incest, prostitution and gambling.

Pendarvis said he'll elaborate on these plans at Saturday's meeting.

Live Free or Die

The Free Town Project began last year as a faction of the better-known Free State Project, a group of 6,000 libertarians who vow to move to New Hampshire and create a utopia of low taxes and little government regulation. They chose New Hampshire last October because of its citizen legislature and "Live Free or Die" tradition. Republican Gov. Craig Benson offered an early endorsement. "Come on up, we'd love to have you," he told the group last summer.

Half a dozen Free Staters decided last winter that they would have a bigger impact if they settled in a single town. The search for a hospitable environment took them all over New Hampshire. In February, they visited a dozen towns, including Dalton, Lempster, Grafton and Windsor.

Grafton's lack of zoning regulations and small population appealed immediately. The town's seclusion had bred a distinct strain of Yankee independence that the libertarians liked as well. And it was one of the few towns where the police chief was an elected position, promising a more populist handle on law and order.

Grafton also offered something no other place could: state Libertarian Party Chairman John Babiarz. The former gubernatorial candidate lives here, and although he's not a member of the movement, Babiarz volunteered to show the members around.

"They just want to energize politics in this town," Babiarz said.

The would-be settlers are already having an impact. Pendarvis, for one, is notorious for his tartly worded postings to the group's Yahoo message board and on his site, freetownproject.org. In a recent posting, Pendarvis (who also goes by the name Zach Bass) railed against "a--holes in Grafton who try to FORCE their neighbors to comply" with a ban on junkyards.

Such rhetoric has led the leaders of the Free State Project to distance themselves from the Free Towners. "They're not associated with us in any way," said Amanda Phillips, who heads the state group.

In Grafton, the town residents and the newcomers are both using the Internet to recruit support. Pendarvis posted a list of Grafton landowners and tax maps to his site, to help fellow libertarians in their house-hunting. A handful of residents created their own Web site, savegrafton.org, to track the libertarians' movements. Many Graftonites also regularly log on to the Free Town message board.

"Based on what they say, I think something bad is going to happen,"said Rebecca Richard, a founder of the "Save Grafton" site.

Pendarvis said he's not worried by such opposition. He's not about to change his style to woo his future neighbors.

"I presume they don't like libertarians," he said. "That's okay; I'll bring my own."

Good neighbors

Not all the Free Towners share Pendarvis's militancy. Tim Condon, a Florida lawyer, has more modest goals.

"We just want to move in and be good neighbors," Condon said. "We would seek to prevent people from misusing local government. I can't think of anything in particular that we would do to change the place."

Grafton's setting, in a wide valley between Mount Cardigan and Ragged Mountain, could lure any visitor, libertarian or not. The view of green hills stretches for miles. Old-timers gather twice a day on the porch of the general store for coffee and gossip. Dirt roads wind through forests thick with ferns and evergreens.

Grafton pays a price for such isolation. There are few jobs in town, and shopping trips require a 45-minute drive to Lebanon or Concord. An abandoned gas station sits in the center of town, the sign above the pump frozen at $1.29 per gallon. More than 20 percent of the town's housing units are mobile homes or RVs. Many residents work at home, running auto repair shops in their back yards or selling trinkets on eBay.

Bob Hull, another Free Towner from New Jersey, found something to love in Grafton. He recently bought 240 swampy acres on the east side of town and hopes to move in soon. He said he might sell some land to other Free Towners or develop it himself. Hull said he'll understand if his neighbors don't welcome him immediately.

"I guess a certain amount of xenophobia should be expected,"Hull said.

Many Grafton residents said they hope to have a better idea of the project's intentions after this week's meeting. In the meantime, speculation reigns.

Frank Neufell, a Grafton selectman, said many people he's talked to worry that rapid development could cause their property taxes to skyrocket.

The head of Grafton's Democratic Party, Neil Kenny, wonders how the peculiar calculus of small-town politics would play out with the newcomers. It wouldn't take a huge influx of libertarians to take over Grafton's government, Kenny predicted.

"If they move in 150 registered voters," he said, "they'll control the town."

So, the uproar gets to the point that someone organizes a town meeting in Grafton. The FSP president Amanda Phillips, Mike Lorrey, and Tim Condon decided on their own that they were going to represent "us". Right before the meeting, someone interviewed...I think the president...of the FSP and they said that Larry had been removed as a participant. He subsequently gets banned from the FSP forum. So we decide not to show up.
Robert Hull's land purchase is what sparked the meeting. I think it was at the meeting that Amanda first said Larry was kicked out. There were a lot of reporters there. Also, Larry wasn't banned from the FSP forum until the day after the meeting, or at least that is when his username disappeared from the stats as having the #1 post count. Larry was sent this email a few days before the meeting.

==========================================
Subject: DO NOT COME TO NH - EVER
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:45:13 -0400

==========================================

Mr. Xxxxx Xxxxxxxxx,

THE LIBERTARIAN PARTY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. WITH "FRIENDS" LIKE YOU, WE DON'T NEED ANY ENEMIES.

YOU HAVE POISONED THE WELL IN GRAFTON. THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR "HELP."

THE PEOPLE OF GRAFTON ARE ARMED, DANGEROUS, AND EXTREMELY PISSED AT YOU. EXCEPT FOR THIS MESSAGE, WE WILL CERTAINLY NOT PROTECT YOU.

IN FACT, WE WILL HELP THEM HANG YOU OUT TO DRY IN ANY LEGAL WAY POSSIBLE.

YOU ARE HEREBY WARNED. DO NOT COME TO NEW HAMPSHIRE EVER AGAIN.

THERE IS NO WARM, FUZZY FREEDOM COMMUNITY HERE FOR YOU. FOR YOU THERE IS ONLY AN EXTREMELY HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT OF YOUR OWN MAKING. STAY IN FLORIDA.

For Responsible Liberty,

================================================
John Barnes, J. D.
Vice Chair, 2d District, L P N H
Chair, Welcome to the Granite State Committee
Voice or Fax:
Inside USA: 1-888-221-8628 (Toll-free)
Outside USA: 1-312-893-0715 (Not toll-free)
E-mail: jbarnes@lpnh.org
================================================
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:57:57 AM by blackie »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2860 on: April 24, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »

I just got a lot more respect for you BJ, knowing your life story (a bit of it).

Edit: the post immediately above mine is way TL:DR for now...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:18:57 AM by anarchir »
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: April 24, 2010, 01:31:10 AM »

Man, that is one hell of a lot of drama.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #2862 on: April 24, 2010, 02:01:18 AM »

I'm pretty sure I've been saying the locals don't appreciate the influx, even if they more or less agree with the concepts.  As evidenced by Mr Barnes strongly worded letter. 

Grafton, both town and county, is a terrible choice.  The county is the location of Dartmouth College, and has a very high percapita income.  Grafton County is an enclave of wealth and stature.  Regardless of the fact it may appear rural and hokey, there are literally billions of dollars of private wealth in residence of that county.  It has a population of 80,000 and a county jail that has a capacity of 110 inmates.  Your shit will not be tolerated there. 

What surprises me the most is a fucking lawyer didn't pick up on that. 

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #2863 on: April 24, 2010, 07:13:16 AM »

I feel like I have learned so much today. Thanks Jay and Blackie!

You are still both trolls :P.
I used to think so too, but now I know better. Blackie is not a troll.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #2864 on: April 24, 2010, 07:15:58 AM »

the locals don't appreciate the influx
This is the point I've been trying to make for so very long.

The locals generally disapprove strongly of the "freak-staters" -- the in your face anarchists who want to shock people.  :roll:

The locals generally very much like the people who have moved here and become a part of the community. You don't get elected to the School Board, Selectman, or State Rep without a lot of people really liking what you have to say and the way you say it.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.