Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1313212 times)

blackie

Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #720 on: May 01, 2009, 05:30:53 PM »

Andrew shoulda been the one planting the garden instead of AnarchoJesse. His woulda been filled with other plants :)

But of course he is right up there with Sam: really wants to get a rap sheet.
I hear Andrew was fined $420.

blackie

« Reply #721 on: May 02, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »

http://keenesentinel.com/articles/2009/05/01/news/local/free/id_354168.txt

Free Stater convicted for pot
    Trial brings laughter this time, not chaos

By PHILLIP BANTZ
    Sentinel Staff
    Published: Friday, May 01, 2009

An 18-year-old Keene activist was convicted Friday of possessing a small amount of marijuana during a protest earlier this year.

James Andrew Carroll represented himself during his trial in Keene District Court on a Class B misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession tied to his January arrest in Railroad Square in downtown Keene.

Between 30 and 40 people with ties to the Free State Project showed up to support Carroll during the trial. Many of them protested the state’s marijuana laws, holding up homemade signs outside the courthouse, before the trial was under way.

The Free Staters relocated to New Hampshire as part of an effort to recruit at least 20,000 “liberty-loving people” to the state, according to the project’s Web site. Carroll left California for Keene.

Armed with the works of German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche and printouts of sections of the U.S. Constitution, Carroll argued that marijuana possession is a victimless crime and said his rights were being violated.

“What’s accomplished by throwing a friendly guy like me in jail?” he asked one of the Keene police officers called to testify for the prosecution.

During the cross-examination of another officer involved in collecting the marijuana seized from Carroll, he asked: “When you touched the plant, did you feel harmed in any way?”

Carroll drew laughs from his supporters in the gallery at various points throughout the trial, and even got a chuckle from Judge Edward J. Burke when he joked that he’d stashed marijuana in the Nietzsche book he brought to court.

“He laughs. He knows marijuana shouldn’t be illegal,” Carroll said.

“I do have a sense of humor,” Burke said.

Carroll took the stand to be cross-examined by Assistant Cheshire County Attorney D. Chris McLaughlin, who declined to question him.

Burke convicted Carroll after the brief trial and handed down a $420 fine
, which Carroll refused to pay. The conviction carries a maximum fine of $1,200.

Carroll was also given the option of working off the fine through 42 hours of community service.
He declined that option as well, saying any volunteer work he performed would be a personal choice, and not for the state.

Eight days in jail is Carroll’s only other option. He said after the trial that he would do the time and appeal the conviction.

Burke said he would rather see Carroll pay the fine with cash or community service, and gave him until Monday to reconsider his decision.

“I don’t like to do this,” Burke said of the possibility of sending Carroll to jail.

Meanwhile, Carroll’s trial turned out not to be a replay of the scene that played out at District Court during the April 13 arraignment of Manchester videographer Dave Ridley, when Free Staters and their associates protested Burke’s ban of photography in the court’s lobby.

The activists believed Burke was stepping on their right to record in a public space, and some chose to ignore the ban.

Court officials say the ban protects juveniles and victims of crimes walking through the lobby from being photographed without their consent.

There is no state law that addresses the use of recording devices in the corridors and lobbies of courtrooms.

During Ridley’s arraignment, seven people were arrested or given summonses for disorderly conduct.

A Free Stater and an activist with ties to the group recorded Carroll’s trial on video, but no one used a camera in the lobby and there were no arrests.

One of the protesters arrested during Ridley’s arraignment remains at the Cheshire County jail in Westmoreland. Sam Dodson, a Free Stater from Texas, has refused to tell the authorities his name to complete the booking process.

His attorney, Ivy Walker, a Free Stater from Rhode Island, has asked the state Supreme Court to move Dodson through the booking process and grant him a trial because the authorities have his fingerprints.

“The fingerprints are sufficient,” Walker said. “They need to release him or at least schedule a trial.”

The Supreme Court is expected to release a decision on Walker’s argument Monday.

Phillip Bantz can be reached at 352-1234, extension 1409, or pbantz@keenesentinel.com.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 03:13:36 PM by blackie »

blackie

« Reply #722 on: May 02, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #723 on: May 02, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »

NHArticleTen

« Reply #724 on: May 02, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

SHOULD JUDGES HAVE ANY SELF CONTROL?

SADLY, THIS IS WHAT AMERICA HAS BECOME...

SHAMEFUL INDEED...

SAD...

zackbass

« Reply #725 on: May 10, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=14264.msg249594#msg249594
The July issue of the Grafton Gazette is available now at http://www.graftongazette.com/Current.pdf

We expanded it to 12 pages, and ran our first paid full page ad!  Also, we had it mailed to every household/box in Grafton.  It was really a team effort so a big shout-out to everyone that helped.

A special thanks goes to Kat for her help getting us started.

Mary H. McDow, or as Zack called her, Bloody Mary, died June 11, 2008. She was the town clerk. She pulled me over about a year ago and said she was gunna call the police on me cus I drive bad. I avoided registering a car for about 6 months cus I didn't want to see her. I got the car registered monday and found out she was dead. Weird.

Wasn't her maiden name Fisher?  Weird...

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 10, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »

SHAMEFUL INDEED...

SAD...

dude, it's an image macro
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Alex Free Market

« Reply #727 on: May 10, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »

The 'free towners' are little more than half-wit ideologues.  They seem more interested in becoming separatists than actual political activists.  I kinda wish they picked someplace a little more remote like Greenland so I wouldn't have to hear from them.   

Chip on your shoulder much about people who mind their own business?

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 10, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »

The 'free towners' are little more than half-wit ideologues.  They seem more interested in becoming separatists than actual political activists.  I kinda wish they picked someplace a little more remote like Greenland so I wouldn't have to hear from them.   

Chip on your shoulder much about people who mind their own business?

and I really do hope the mind their own business.......in Greenland.  However if they stick around here and continue to do extremely stupid stuff then I will continue to give my opinion on them.
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Alex Free Market

« Reply #729 on: May 11, 2009, 12:27:13 AM »

RE:  Anarcho Jesse and the fact that his efforts have supposedly yielded little results ( like yours have  :roll: ).

Why are numerous people in this thread such consequentialist  fucktards?

Since when do libertarians judge the rightness of wrongness of actions based on the end-result, rather than via examining whether a person was within their rights to do what they did.  The answer is, they don't.  Consequentialism has no legitimate place in libertarianism, an inherently deontological philosophy.

Some of the comments in this thread question the action, and actions can always be questioned.   However, far too many comments seem to be criticisms of his effectiveness as an activist, using that as a straw man smear tactic to disparage his actions.   

And for that matter, what have you done to advance the cause of liberty and defeat the State?    The appropriate answer for virtually every single person here (if not all), is the same as mine.   You have done nothing.   If you are one of those special one-in-a-million people that managed to actually bring about legal change, leading to more liberty, let's hear what you did.  If not, shut your yapper about how Anarcho Jessee has not accomplished anything.

Furthermore, holding any single person up to an impossible standard of what they must accomplish with their actions, that being, fighting entrenched bureaucracy in one of the most powerful nations on Earth, is the height of an asinine critique. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:44:38 AM by Alex Free Market »

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 11, 2009, 01:59:04 AM »

AnarchoJesse is a fucking mindless idiot.  His efforts have yielded results, unfortunately none of them positive.  Dropping a gun in the state house, flipping out and yelling at people in the state house, running around with a fucking MAC-11 on a sting like he's fucking Rambo, and doing God knows what other idiocy is not doing a single fucking positive thing to advance liberty.  That stupid son-of-a-bitch is a fucking embarrassment and a menace to everyone around him. 

Whether you have a right to do something doesn't mean that it is the wise thing to do. 

Consequences matter.  I personally do not give a shit what your intentions are or your beliefs or what you believe is your right.  If you are unable to deliver the goods then you are USELESS.  Results are what matter.     
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

NHArticleTen

« Reply #731 on: May 11, 2009, 08:15:41 AM »

SHAMEFUL INDEED...

SAD...

I'm not referring to the macro...I'm referring to the severe body language exhibited by the ALMIGHTY WORSHIPFUL pajama-clad "judge"...

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 11, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »

SHAMEFUL INDEED...

SAD...

I'm not referring to the macro...I'm referring to the severe body language exhibited by the ALMIGHTY WORSHIPFUL pajama-clad "judge"...

I don't see anything wrong with that.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

blackie

« Reply #733 on: May 11, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »

A $420 fine for a couple grams of weed is pretty harsh.

BonerJoe

« Reply #734 on: May 11, 2009, 02:24:50 PM »

A $420 fine for a couple grams of weed is pretty harsh.

That's out Free State!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.