Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1306773 times)

Porcupine_in_MA

Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #420 on: November 02, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »

You should start another thread just about the tipping controversy.

JWI

« Reply #421 on: November 02, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »

Back to tipping...

Tipping a percentage of the bill is bullshit. Why should the waitress make more because I order an expensive meal?

The tip should be based on the amount of work she does, and the quality of the service, not the price of the meal.

Seems like tipping is about making the waitstaff try to up-sell. They work on a commission basis.

This I agree with.  Tipping should always be based on the quality of service and amount of work required, not a % of the bill.

Of course this could open the discussion of higher wages for servers rather than a wage based on tips.  I'm not sure which would be preferable to waitstaff.

JWI

« Reply #422 on: November 02, 2008, 04:33:14 PM »

You know where to sign up.  

Already did but have since rescinded my sign up.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 02, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »

If you don't tip, you won't get a lap dance. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

NHArticleTen

« Reply #424 on: November 02, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »

I ask them if they "report" my gifts to them...
if they say yes they get less...
if they say no they get more...
go figure...

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #425 on: November 02, 2008, 09:51:47 PM »

I knew Jessie was a flake when I tried to purchase some of his labor notes. If he never replies to mails asking for such, how much luck do you think someone will be when they are just circulating, not buying them from the source?
That, plus him being so abrasive that the other free-staters notice. That's quite a feat.

Oh, and I generally tip 20+% for decent service. For below-average service I tip 10-15%. But if the service is really lousy, I will tip $0.25 exctly, just to make it clear I didn't siomply forget -- it's an intentional disrespect, given in reciprocity.

blackie

« Reply #426 on: November 02, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »

I knew Jessie was a flake when I tried to purchase some of his labor notes. If he never replies to mails asking for such, how much luck do you think someone will be when they are just circulating, not buying them from the source?
I asked him about doing some work in Grafton, and he responded on the forum, but not email. He's not looking for work.

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
« Reply #427 on: November 02, 2008, 10:22:47 PM »

go figure...

what if they ask you if the report what they have to?  All credit card tips have to be reported, and some restaurants are required to report a certain percententage per table, whether they get tipped that amount or less....  Do you tip them even less?

Just curious.
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

BonerJoe

« Reply #428 on: November 02, 2008, 11:15:44 PM »

go figure...

what if they ask you if the report what they have to?  All credit card tips have to be reported, and some restaurants are required to report a certain percententage per table, whether they get tipped that amount or less....  Do you tip them even less?

Just curious.

It's no customer's responsibility to keep track of every stupid fucking policy an employer has.

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 02, 2008, 11:17:07 PM »

Back to tipping...

Tipping a percentage of the bill is bullshit. Why should the waitress make more because I order an expensive meal?

The tip should be based on the amount of work she does, and the quality of the service, not the price of the meal.

Seems like tipping is about making the waitstaff try to up-sell. They work on a commission basis.

Five for myself, ten if I'm footing the bill for me and my kids plus another adult.  If I'm going upscale I go with 20% because those people get taxed on some kind of average take, and I know that going in.  I could choose not to enter.  If they suck, I cut back.  

If service was bundled in the price of a meal, then you would pay more for dine-in than take-out, but you don't. When you pick up food at say, Applebees, you pay the menu price and no one expects a tip, because no one is waiting on you. Libertarians should love the institution of tipping, because it is a free-for-service situation where cash is paid without any records kept for taxation. Tips are supposed to be reported, but never are (except the credit card kind, but even then, it's easy to get around). It is an almost 100% cash business, where the server operates a lot like a contractor, a middleman facilitating the transaction between restaurant and eater, providing added value in the process. For that, 15-20% of the total is all that's expected. Seems like a great deal to me. Better than getting up to get my own meal, pour my own drinks, and buss my own table. Plus, I can't exactly flirt with myself, now can I?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:21:44 PM by Dylboz »
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

Dylboz

• What a deal! A few bucks a month makes me an
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Only Anarcho-Capitalism is consistent with the NAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:10 PM »

For below-average service I tip 10-15%. But if the service is really lousy, I will tip $0.25 exctly, just to make it clear I didn't siomply forget -- it's an intentional disrespect, given in reciprocity.

I used to do this, but have since taken a different approach. If you get the manager and complain calmly and in specific detail, you will almost always have some or all of your bill taken care of, the manager or another server will complete the service of your meal with special attention paid to your every request, and the sub-par server will definitely learn a lesson that night. Stiffing the waiter or waitress is a sort of oblique passive aggressive gesture that rarely has the effect you think it does. Often, the server will just think you are cheap and/or a dick. I have worked in that business in almost every capacity, from banquet service to buss boy to barback to bar tender to delivery driver to host to server to prep cook to short order to cashier to kitchen manager, and unless you get very specific and express your concern to their bosses, as far as the server is concerned, your 25¢ tip is just evidence that you're a lousy prick, period. They will never consider that they may have done something wrong or failed to earn your money unless you make it very clear why and how they fell short. Even then, they probably have some excuse. Trust me, if you get bad service, get the manager and calmly explain why you are dissatisfied, he'll be grateful, you'll get your bill reduced or paid in full, the server will be be reprimanded, and the service at the restaurant will improve. It is the best thing for everyone.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:37:44 PM by Dylboz »
Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven.

Please check out my blog!
Dylboznia

J’raxis 270145

• Voluntaryist
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • J’raxis·Com
« Reply #431 on: November 03, 2008, 12:19:08 AM »

He's AnarchoMartyr over there douche.

What are you doing posting on here and not out working on the crops, boy?

Why argue with this cockmonger? :D

(The same reason I like playing with Luke over on the NHLA forum, I take it?)

Escaped from MA, 2007-06-30

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #432 on: November 03, 2008, 09:10:02 AM »

Why argue with this cockmonger? :D

(The same reason I like playing with Luke over on the NHLA forum, I take it?)

There wasn't any arguing. :lol:

NHArticleTen

« Reply #433 on: November 03, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »

go figure...

Just curious.

you'll note that I stated "my" gifts...
I'm not a party to any of their other contracts with other individuals...

but I DO want to know if those I choose to contract with...are...in any way/shape/form...funding the perpetual perpetration of aggression/force/fraud upon peaceful people...

and I make every attempt to deny the mobocracy ANY fruits...even indirect fruits...if at all possible...
(realizing, of course, that the farmer that supplied the fresh foods to the local vendors might very well be receiving some sort of subsidy...and just not disclosing that)

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
« Reply #434 on: November 03, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »

go figure...

Just curious.

you'll note that I stated "my" gifts...
I'm not a party to any of their other contracts with other individuals...

but I DO want to know if those I choose to contract with...are...in any way/shape/form...funding the perpetual perpetration of aggression/force/fraud upon peaceful people...

and I make every attempt to deny the mobocracy ANY fruits...even indirect fruits...if at all possible...
(realizing, of course, that the farmer that supplied the fresh foods to the local vendors might very well be receiving some sort of subsidy...and just not disclosing that)

Wow, I wouldn't want to be your server.  You're too complicated.  8)
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.