Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 337   Go Down

Author Topic: Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State  (Read 1322897 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Drama in the Free State
« Reply #2970 on: May 16, 2010, 11:48:24 AM »

If you don't use your freedom, you'll lose it.
True.
But it is not true that using your freedom always reinforces it -- it has to be done responsibly, and mindful of other peoples' reactions.

Case in point: open carry at the HCR6 vote in the State House, and the subsequent clamp-down.
Case in point: how many of the comments from people in Keene are along the lines of, "I would generally agree with you people, but flashing boobs at a school bus is going too far..."
Case in point: how many people in Keene are generally favorable to legalizing marijuana (spoiler alert: a LOT), versus how many think a crackdown is justified on people who disrupted Keene Pumpkin Fest? (spoiler alert: even more)

Irresponsible, poorly thought-out "celebrations" like those the Keeniacs are promoting generally cause a blowback reaction that raises the number of laws and the severity of law enforcement.

Quite frankly, I don't agree with the opening premise, which I've emboldened.  It's only in the environment of the abusive state (I.E., not in a realistic environment) where that can happen.  FWIW, I still don't believe the assertion about how your examples of activism made a negative difference, either, and I'm guessing a LOT around here don't.  You can get away with claiming they may have made a difference, but I wouldn't take it on the word of some politician you're trying to convince to be more freedom-lovin.

I guess I'd take what you said and reword it considerably differently.  Participating in behavior which you know pisses off your neighbors isn't likely going to get you what you want, but it won't be license for them to take your liberty.  The rub is in the last bit.  Though they can't honorably take your liberty, your actions may make you uncomfortable if you've made others uncomfortable.

BTW, I think there's VALUE in coaxing the violent bureaucrats to reveal the gun in the room.  It makes obvious the basic immorality of their system.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:09:12 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

davann

« Reply #2971 on: May 16, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »

The breasts are just fine...

...BUT...

...this would be one of those times I have to apply my mom's advice, and stop talking.

:)

theodorelogan

• View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: May 16, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »

Dennis, if you ever start having real political success, the statists are going to come out of the wordwork to complain about how you are destroying society too.

The only reason they aren't is because YOU AREN'T SUCCEEDING.

Civil disobedience has led to the de-facto freedom to smoke cannabis in Keene's Central Square   Every day they are showing the people of Keene that cannabis can be consumed peacefully and responsibly, contradicting what they've been taught.

Let me know when the law catches up :not holding breath:

Also, you sound like a crybaby
Go figure...

RAD!

blackie

« Reply #2973 on: May 16, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »

Civil disobedience has led to the de-facto freedom to smoke cannabis in Keene's Central Square  
Were people being arrested for smoking cannabis in Keene's Central Square before the civil disobedience?

Every day they are showing the people of Keene that cannabis can be consumed peacefully and responsibly, contradicting what they've been taught.
Or they are reinforcing a stereotype.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: May 16, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »

You know if one side is adamant on flashing boobs at a school bus, then I'm just going to be on the other side.

If you can't use your freedom responsibly I'm gonna have to agree that you guys come off as dicks.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2975 on: May 16, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »

You can't "flash boobs" because boobs aren't nudity.

davann

« Reply #2976 on: May 16, 2010, 04:00:51 PM »

If you can't use your freedom responsibly I'm gonna have to agree that you guys come off as dicks.

Yep. They seem to be losing it. When they turn off the people that agree with them what does that say? I used to find their antics funny but I sure would avoid these freaks if they lived near me. Maybe even egg their house when I could get a way with it. In before NAP, blah blah blah.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: May 16, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »

Yep. They seem to be losing it. When they turn off the people that agree with them what does that say? I used to find their antics funny but I sure would avoid these freaks if they lived near me. Maybe even egg their house when I could get a way with it. In before NAP, blah blah blah.

I put down a couple of bets on the Braves and Rays this morning.  Now I'm hanging out waiting for some downloads.  I'm teaching a distance class from my den this week.

Does all that meet with your approval, or should I get out the hose and scrub brushes now?
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: May 16, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »

As I said a few weeks ago--people in New Hampshire better get their shit together and recognize that the shit they don't like other activists doing is the kinda shit that's gonna happen in a free society.  As for me, I'm good with it.  I can recognize and appreciate the benefits of both, and I think the losers who are going to take a collectivist view of the "wrong" activism practiced by others are going to be contemporary Don Quijotes--ironically, for want of support from other Don Quijotes.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #2979 on: May 16, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »

Political successes have been happening -- bills killed, mostly. Some good ones passed. Given the present composition of the NH Legislature, that's saying something.

I'd say it's a higher bar for success, and requires a certain maturity, responsibility level,  and ability to make and execute long-term plans.

It's somewhat easier to just smoke pot and show boobies.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: May 16, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »

It is if you're a woman and you lift up your shirt and point them at a school bus.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: May 16, 2010, 06:33:17 PM »

Political successes have been happening -- bills killed, mostly. Some good ones passed. Given the present composition of the NH Legislature, that's saying something.

I'd say it's a higher bar for success, and requires a certain maturity, responsibility level,  and ability to make and execute long-term plans.

It's somewhat easier to just smoke pot and show boobies.

Since when has kissing the ass that feeds you been a sign of maturity?  It's a sign of conformance, and I don't think it's something to be proud of.  I can see the advantages of both forms of activism, but when it turns you into something like that....

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: May 16, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »

It is if you're a woman and you lift up your shirt and point them at a school bus.

I agree with TLV on this one. Audience & intent matters. A woman lifting her shirt for breastfeeding, or changing her shirt, or pulling off her top because it's frakking burning up outside... that's not offensive. "Flashing" a school bus full of children is... because it's intended to be provocative.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

ForumTroll

« Reply #2983 on: May 16, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »

I put down a couple of bets on the Braves and Rays this morning.  Now I'm hanging out waiting for some downloads.  I'm teaching a distance class from my den this week.

Does all that meet with your approval, or should I get out the hose and scrub brushes now?

LOL.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2984 on: May 17, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »

No one did that.  They were topless on a hot day along with a bunch of guys whom no one paid any attention to.  This sounds like a really creative interpretation of events to take a completely passive act and make it sound aggressive.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 337   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Unofficial History of Drama in the Free State

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 31 queries.