Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Don't initiate violence?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't initiate violence?  (Read 55056 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Don't initiate violence?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 02:46:31 AM »

When I was a young comic book reading nerd, I thought the better man stood and fought. My heroes from film and comics indeed did, using violence and force.
Now that I am a older comic book reading nerd, I see proof coming out of NH that nonviolence is the better strategy to achieve my goals. (that whole freer society thing)
The little kid with the superman jammies inside me still wants to kick butt when he sees the crapcops on youtube though.

Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed.

Which Samuel L. Jackson character said that?  The one in the Die Hard series?  No, I think it was one of Tarantino's characters....

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 03:09:09 AM »

When I was a young comic book reading nerd, I thought the better man stood and fought. My heroes from film and comics indeed did, using violence and force.
Now that I am a older comic book reading nerd, I see proof coming out of NH that nonviolence is the better strategy to achieve my goals. (that whole freer society thing)
The little kid with the superman jammies inside me still wants to kick butt when he sees the crapcops on youtube though.

Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed.

Which Samuel L. Jackson character said that?  The one in the Die Hard series?  No, I think it was one of Tarantino's characters....

It's from the movie Serenity.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 04:20:52 AM »

Oh, I was way off.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 04:34:23 AM »

Oh, I was way off.

The sequel will have SLJ in it though.

It's also a sequel to Snakes on a Plane, called Snakes in Space.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

alaric89

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »

Quote from: TimeLady Victorious
[/quote

Not by my definition.
The first and craziest lemming is no hero. A double agent sure as hell isn't. In fact any scumbag who betrays trust is not.
I don't like Terry Pratchett's definition either, that a hero is someone who fears his friends more than his enemies.
We have to call people, who brave their fears to stand up for principles, something.
While we are at it, defending means standing up to those that agress against you or people one cares about. That's with violence or without.
I'll buy this liberty thing, but I'm going to do it and keep my own definitions of hero and defending.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »

We have to call people, who brave their fears to stand up for principles, something.
While we are at it, defending means standing up to those that agress against you or people one cares about. That's with violence or without.

Indeed, there is nothing about courage that requires violence. Some very cowardly people react with overwhelming violence to the slightest provocation, simply because they are cowards and cannot stand anyone to "get away with" even the slightest slight.

I'll buy this liberty thing, but I'm going to do it and keep my own definitions of hero and defending.

Sounds like liberty to me.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

alaric89

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »

Thanks. Took me a week to come up with my "hero" comment. Yours said what I wanted to better. Hadn't thought of those cops as cowards though. Good point.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »

The problem is not violence. 

The problem is the people trained to bring the violence are assholes, and they bring it to the wrong people way too often.   

alaric89

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »

Government training is like anything else the government does. Folks who wish to sell out for a easy "secure" living not particularly dangerous. Single minded groups are something to fear, always.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:36 AM »

Folks who wish to sell out for a easy "secure" living not particularly dangerous. Single minded groups are something to fear, always.

Are you sure about that? 

alaric89

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 05:37:18 AM »

My last post was pretty damn dumb. I was trying to say those hired enforcer types are not to hard to defeat/turn campaired to people who are fighting for something they believe in. Bought loyalty can be bought by anyone else. Those times you meet a asshole, who believes their leader is some sort of god, are rare. One doesn't deal with batshit insane assholes the same way one deals with someone who has a rational reason for being a asshole.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »

I was trying to say those hired enforcer types are not to hard to defeat/turn campaired to people who are fighting for something they believe in. Bought loyalty can be bought by anyone else. Those times you meet a asshole, who believes their leader is some sort of god, are rare.

This seems to be human nature, because it's been said many times, many ways:

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

- C.S. Lewis
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

alaric89

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 02:40:43 AM »

Elitist will use any excuse to run other peoples lives. What many don't understand is that all evil convinces itself that it is in the right, and sometimes they succeed, both themselves and enough people. These people are clearly delusional and more difficult to deal with. They will never Change or be convinced they are wrong, they would rather die.
To work towards liberty I would rather concentrate on the paid off foot soldiers, their self interest is both understandable and workable.
Look how fast the cops ran and turned when things got hard in Kyrgyzstan, now they work for the other guy.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:58 AM »

My line in the sand is my wife and kids.I have to say I would stop someone who is trying to hurt them.I would take a bullet if it meant saving them.I would stand in front of them and shield them with my own body.If a cop was pointing a gun I would step in front of it.Self defense is righteous in any case.Defence does not mean intitiating something when there is no threat of serious danger to your actual body ,such as firing a gun through the door because you think someone is trying to enter.Reacting to actual physical harm is when this point is reached.
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

alaric89

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »

My line in the sand is my wife and kids.I have to say I would stop someone who is trying to hurt them.I would take a bullet if it meant saving them.I would stand in front of them and shield them with my own body.If a cop was pointing a gun I would step in front of it.Self defense is righteous in any case.Defence does not mean intitiating something when there is no threat of serious danger to your actual body ,such as firing a gun through the door because you think someone is trying to enter.Reacting to actual physical harm is when this point is reached.

Probably better to have a strategy against a home invasion, that included not trying to be a human shield against 6-9 bullets.... and still having a threat.
I would argue it is better to be a little preemptive when the family is at stake. Wait til after that first physical harm and the defensive ability might be jeopardised.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Don't initiate violence?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.