Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Does anyone here watch SGU?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone here watch SGU?  (Read 7754 times)

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
Does anyone here watch SGU?
« on: December 01, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »

Well, do you?

That Season 2 mid-season finale was off the chain.  This show, although a little slower in pace and darker in tone than both SG-1 and SGA, in my opinion, is much better.  This is what voyager should have been.  The effects are amazing, the acting by the likes of Robert Carlyle, Ming Na, Lois Ferreira, and the rest is impeccable for a Science Fiction show.  It's WAY better than the re-imagining of BSG.

The whole literally solar powered million year old ship with the capacity to mess with people's minds is awesome.  And the mission that was was revealed is very interesting.

So, has anyone watched it?
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

Ecolitan

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone here watch SGU?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:22:36 PM »

I wasn't interested til now.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »

I've seen S1E1. Thats it though.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:41:47 PM »

Teleported to an ancient ship on the other side of the universe, visiting strange planets every few days and discovering/rebuilding ancient technology in between, all they can think about is getting "home".  That's annoying.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »

Teleported to an ancient ship on the other side of the universe, visiting strange planets every few days and discovering/rebuilding ancient technology in between, all they can think about is getting "home".  That's annoying.

Yep.

To be fair, that's not true of Robert (who incidently rocks in general) Carlyle's character.

But yeah, you'd think the other supposed "scientists" would be more interested at least.

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »

KREE!

I have always been a huge Stargate fan, all series. I like SGU and of course watch the show religously, but I still get pissed knowing they kicked SG1 and Atlantis for this. SG1 sure, it was in its tenth season and honestly could of been done after season 8, the Ori just annoy me.

But Atlantis? We were finally getting to know more about Wraith culture, we had amazing episodes, and c'mon, they had friggin ASGARDS! EVIL Asgards! In the Pegasas galaxy! How the fuck do you end a season with such an amazing last season? And fucking Todd, he is cooler than Rodney or even Doctor Feldger.

But I digress....

SGU is awesome, especially since they can finally get past setting up the characters background. But have we even found out what the hell happened to Grear before episode 1? There were some major event this season so far, and it looks like they still have a lot to do. I expect a return of the blue aliens, and of course we still need to find out more about the aliens in the mid season finale. There's also those godly powered aliens which I hope doesn't turn into BSG again...

Personally, I'd like more look into Destiny. Now that Rush has everyone's help, it should be easier to look into the rest of the ship. And of course I'm always secretly hoping for some kind of mention of the Furlings....
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »

KREE!

I have always been a huge Stargate fan, all series. I like SGU and of course watch the show religously, but I still get pissed knowing they kicked SG1 and Atlantis for this. SG1 sure, it was in its tenth season and honestly could of been done after season 8, the Ori just annoy me.

But Atlantis? We were finally getting to know more about Wraith culture, we had amazing episodes, and c'mon, they had friggin ASGARDS! EVIL Asgards! In the Pegasas galaxy! How the fuck do you end a season with such an amazing last season? And fucking Todd, he is cooler than Rodney or even Doctor Feldger.

But I digress....

SGU is awesome, especially since they can finally get past setting up the characters background. But have we even found out what the hell happened to Grear before episode 1? There were some major event this season so far, and it looks like they still have a lot to do. I expect a return of the blue aliens, and of course we still need to find out more about the aliens in the mid season finale. There's also those godly powered aliens which I hope doesn't turn into BSG again...

Personally, I'd like more look into Destiny. Now that Rush has everyone's help, it should be easier to look into the rest of the ship. And of course I'm always secretly hoping for some kind of mention of the Furlings....
SGA was cancelled because sy fy did not want to renew it for some stupid reason.  SG-1 was running it's course, and Atlantis was starting to get pretty old.  Yeah, the Wraith stuff was pretty cool, but the episodes were starting to get boring...  A Plant growing out of Keller?  A little bug that grows inside your head? An alternate reality where the wraith make it to earth and Sheppard is a cop?  Wormhole drive?  C'mon.  

The thing about Greer was mentioned in the episode darkness where he insulted Telford for something.  As far as the Blue Aliens go, I'm not so sure.  Those Aliens are a few Galaxies or so behind them, unless they are the ones responsible for the drone ships that Destiny is being attacked by, I really doubt we will see those again.

If I remember correctly, the whole Furlings thing was an inside joke.  We will never see them, at least not in SGU.  The Furlings are extinct, just like the Ancients and the Asgard.

The God like Aliens are more likely responsible for the Big Bang more than anything in SGU, and according to the producers, they have a 5 year plan to get there.  I am just hoping for a third season because ever since the boneheaded move to Tuesday Nights, the Ratings are not there.  Why the Sy fy would put a wrestling show show on it's network when wrestling has nothing to do with science fiction is beyond me...  but hey, it gets the ratings, right?
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Chloe somehow manages to send a subspace signal to the blue aliens. They certainly have hyperspace capabilities (or were they using FTL drives like Destiny?) so they could meet up with Destiny. And they are not too far off, they could absolutely dial one another. If I was writing the show, I would have Chloe dial the blue aliens and leave, just to return with an infantry through the stargate later on.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »

Watched the first several episodes, then stopped. Couldn't make myself give a rat's ass what happened to the crew members.

I watched an episode from this season last week - background video while working on a project. "Visitation" drew me in. I had very little idea what was going on, couldn't remember much about the characters from the beginning of the series, but I got caught up in the story. May give the series another try.

I really liked both of the other SG series. I wasn't glad to see either of them canceled when they were, but agree that SG-1 had run it's course. It was a good time to end it. As for SGA, I was enjoying getting to know more of the backstory of the vilains and about that portion of the universe - and very happy to see Jewel Staite added to the cast - but it was not a surprise to see SyFy end it.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 03:41:09 AM »

It takes while for SGU to get going.  The first few episodes are pretty slow and doesn't really pick up till the end of the first season.  The season finale is freaking awesome.  Second season is great too.  
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

yamnuska

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 04:56:57 AM »

It felt like they were trying to do Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek - the shit one with captain Janeway. The trying to get back home to earth theme is a well trod path. Why hasn't anyone done a Moon is a Harsh Mistress show or a colonize the planets in our solar system show? The one thing I don't like about sci fi shows is they usually tend to think it needs to be set 30 freaking million light years away to be fun. I didn't mind SG Atlantis. On the topic of sci-fi TV, I really liked Taken. I can't wait for the second season of V.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 04:54:50 PM »

Why hasn't anyone done a Moon is a Harsh Mistress show or a colonize the planets in our solar system show?
Great question.

The one thing I don't like about sci fi shows is they usually tend to think it needs to be set 30 freaking million light years away to be fun.
I agree!

I can't wait for the second season of V.
I'm looking forward to this too. Have enjoyed the increase of chatter about upcoming plot lines and roles for Jane Badler & Marc Singer.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »

Watched the first several episodes, then stopped. Couldn't make myself give a rat's ass what happened to the crew members.

I watched an episode from this season last week - background video while working on a project. "Visitation" drew me in. I had very little idea what was going on, couldn't remember much about the characters from the beginning of the series, but I got caught up in the story. May give the series another try.

I really liked both of the other SG series. I wasn't glad to see either of them canceled when they were, but agree that SG-1 had run it's course. It was a good time to end it. As for SGA, I was enjoying getting to know more of the backstory of the vilains and about that portion of the universe - and very happy to see Jewel Staite added to the cast - but it was not a surprise to see SyFy end it.

You should watch the episodes time, space, justice, darkness, Light, divided, faith, subversion, incursion 1 and 2, then pretty much every episode from season 2 so far.  The show is really getting good.  That mid season finale is a great cliffhanger.  Besides, with justice and space, along with the dreater good, you get to see young lay the smackdown on Rush.  This show is pretty much the only reason I still have TV.  Once it's done, so is my cable subscription.

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »

It felt like they were trying to do Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek - the shit one with captain Janeway. The trying to get back home to earth theme is a well trod path. Why hasn't anyone done a Moon is a Harsh Mistress show or a colonize the planets in our solar system show? The one thing I don't like about sci fi shows is they usually tend to think it needs to be set 30 freaking million light years away to be fun. I didn't mind SG Atlantis. On the topic of sci-fi TV, I really liked Taken. I can't wait for the second season of V.

V wasn't as good as it could have been.  But I am going to give it another shot.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 03:05:24 AM »

A movie for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is in the works.  I believe they've tried several shows on colonizing planets, not in our solar system.  Earth 2 was one of them.  The show didn't pan out.  I think they try to make the setting distant because it gives them more freedom to play with their setting.  

The idea behind Star Trek Voyager and Stargate Universe is kind of like Xenophon's Anabasis.  They use themes like this because it works.  
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Does anyone here watch SGU?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 32 queries.