Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Defeating Dogma
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Defeating Dogma  (Read 5778 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Defeating Dogma
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:35:27 PM »

I'm making up a new rule, and naming it after myself.

The Diogenes The Cynic rule posits that in order to hold a belief non-dogmatically, and be able to discuss it rationally, a person must be able to articulate under what conditions they would abandon their belief.

I think using this nifty little tool could weed out a lot of people who can't be reasoned with.

But just for fun, apply it to your own most closely held beliefs, and tell us what would make you question them.

Example: I sincerely believe in the truth and validity of the Bible, but would question this belief if archeologists found a series of closely related stories that predated the Bible that talked about the same events, effectively showing an evolution to the Bible canon.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

alaric89

• View Profile
Re: Defeating Dogma
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »

I would abandon my belief in evolution if scientists found a new theory and gathered evidence supporting that theory. If someone found scripture made by neandrathals disputing the bible by saying they noticed that a frog turned into a lizard and wrote in urine on a cave wall "like, wow man, evolution..." I would assume that said cave man found some sort of drug.

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:23:32 AM »

The problem with this of course is that many people have not found the circumstance under which abandon beliefs.  Therefore they can not imagine it to post it.

I however may be willing to whore my beliefs and abandon them for a first class blow job.*

*Dependent on looks of cocksucker and quality of said cock sucking.  Thus a decision of abandonment will not be decided until after the money shot.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:56:09 AM »

The problem with this of course is that many people have not found the circumstance under which abandon beliefs.  Therefore they can not imagine it to post it.

I however may be willing to whore my beliefs and abandon them for a first class blow job.*

*Dependent on looks of cocksucker and quality of said cock sucking.  Thus a decision of abandonment will not be decided until after the money shot.

C'mon man, you can't think of possible flaws in any of your beliefs?

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »

I'd abandon my belief that I have no fucking clue how the universe was created and also have no fucking clue if there is a god or not, if god himself materialized right in front of me for proof, then explained to me how it all came about.

Of course, this could just be a demon or an alien sent to fuck with me and make me believe in something that isnt really the whole story.

Having said that, I guess there is really no scenario that would make me abandon my beliefs, because I would just think it was a grand conspiracy, set up to mess with my head.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:39:01 AM by Turd Ferguson »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »

I'd abandon my belief that I have no fucking clue how the universe was created and also have no fucking clue if there is a god or not, if god himself materialized right in front of me for proof, then explained to me how it all came about.

Of course, this could just be a demon or an alien sent to fuck with me and make me believe in something that isnt really the whole story.

Having said that, I guess there is really no scenario that would make me abandon my beliefs, because I would just think it was a grand conspiracy, set up to mess with my head.

So, you're admitting you hold your beliefs dogmatically. At least you're honest about it.

BTW, G-d can't materialize in front of you, because G-d having a corporeal body would limit Him, thereby making him not all-powerful. Also, how do you know that what you know now isn't from an evil deceiver?

-Dennis Goddard

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »

BTW, G-d can't materialize in front of you, because G-d having a corporeal body would limit Him, thereby making him not all-powerful.

Couldn't he just create a hologram of himself and blast it down to earth as a substitute?

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »

It's called an avatar. It's how deities interact with mortals. It's like a tiny piece of the deity or just a projection of the deity's mind. Not saying I believe in them or anything. Just it's a little silly to say deity X cannot do Y because he's all powerful. WUT

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »

It's called an avatar. It's how deities interact with mortals.

It amuses me that Dungeons and Dragons abstractions* are more coherent and consistent than religious ones.

*Yeah yeah I know but I bet that's where you first heard of avatars, just like the rest of us. :-P
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »

*Yeah yeah I know but I bet that's where you first heard of avatars, just like the rest of us. :-P

It's where I got the vocabulary initially, but the concept is fairly universal I think. In the show, Supernatural, it's called a vessel. Castielle (sp?) is an angel and he explains that his true form is vast and nearly beyond the comprehension of the human mind, but he inhabits a human body so he can interact with mortals. Similar idea.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »

It's where I got the vocabulary initially, but the concept is fairly universal I think. In the show, Supernatural, it's called a vessel. Castielle (sp?) is an angel and he explains that his true form is vast and nearly beyond the comprehension of the human mind, but he inhabits a human body so he can interact with mortals. Similar idea.

I was just making a D&D funny because I had nothing else useful to add.

Personally my favorite avatar of gawd was Bud Cort playing him at the beginning of Dogma as th old skee ball addict.

Because Bud Cort is a pimp.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 02:42:01 PM »

.....and he was also the inspiration for the Where's Waldo character.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »

He was awesome in Harold and Maude.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »

BTW, G-d can't materialize in front of you, because G-d having a corporeal body would limit Him, thereby making him not all-powerful.

Couldn't he just create a hologram of himself and blast it down to earth as a substitute?

G-d's infinite, right? Can you subtract a number from infinity? Think back to high school math.

BTW, G-d can't make a rock so heavy he couldn't lift it, square circles, or anything else like that. Some things G-d "can't" do.

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »

It's called an avatar. It's how deities interact with mortals.

It amuses me that Dungeons and Dragons abstractions* are more coherent and consistent than religious ones.

For such a smart guy, you do have a big blindspot when it comes to this subject.

Its like object permanence. Stuff is still there, even if you don't see it, and things make sense to other people, even if they don't make sense to you. Have you considered that its you?

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Defeating Dogma

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.