Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  December 21, 2012
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: December 21, 2012  (Read 13200 times)

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
Re: December 21, 2012
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 04:31:34 AM »

It is bullshit, but I will still use the apocalypse as my excuse to put off Christmas shopping until the last minute.  8)

Funny, think I will do the same thing.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 04:44:35 AM »

So none of you think that there is possibly a red-dwarf star?  And that the star is on an oval orbit that brings it within range to screw with the earths gravitation every 5000 years or so.   And by doing that it sets off earthquakes, floods, fires, and general catastrophic crap.

Not an endorsement just an interesting site on the subject.
http://www.astroengine.com/?p=4695

BonerJoe

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 04:49:36 AM »

Red dwarf star, center of the galaxy releasing bursts of energy, Planet x, Coronal mass ejection, comet passing by...so many theories....

davann

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 11:08:30 AM »

We have been doomed since they turned on that particle accelerator in France a year or two ago. They created a tiny black hole that is now falling through the earth sucking up matter as it goes and growing as it does. Once it reach a certain point, earth's own gravity sends it back the way it came. It is repeating this process over and over, on December 21, 2012 it will reach the tipping point and will become big enough to suck up the entire matter of our little blue ball.

It's best just to live life to the fullest with the time we have left. Don't spend time with the ones closest to you, face it they suck or at least not that interesting any more. Go out and drink, get high, gamble and meet some whores. Party like it's 1999!

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »

Oh yeah, funny thing about the large hadron collider. They haven't used it yet. I mean, yes, they have turned it on. Yes they fired a particle. I don't even think that one particle made the entire circuit before they had to shut the thing down for a coolant leak, or whatever. They are going through repairs now, I think. Most reports that covered the initial test took the tone of "see, the world didn't end".

So, when they finally get a particle shot through the whole loop, they still will not have collided two particles together. I think they wanted to run a test where they run one beam by itself first, then wait a while for the drama to die down. The old "See, we shot one beam and the universe didn't collapse." Then, when they finally are ready for the collision, the whole thing is old news. By the way, this is the closest I get to a conspiracy theory.

They will probably get the thing fixed, run a few more tests, run out of funds, find more money, turn the thing on, fix a few problems, and be ready for an actual particle collision by, say, late 2012.  :P :P
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Riddler

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »

We have been doomed since they turned on that particle accelerator in France a year or two ago.

bullshit.
that piece of shit broke right after they fired it....major failure.
it will take at least a year to repair.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/04/science/space/04collide.html?hp

BonerJoe

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »

They created a tiny black hole that is now falling through the earth sucking up matter as it goes and growing as it does.

Oh, is that why I'm losing weight so slowly?

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

Bullshit.  I'll see you on December 22, 2012.

Just to be the odd one out, I do think there will be something major happening AROUND December 21, 2012. The Mayan Calendar doesn't say the world will end, just that there will be a major change/disruption. Given the state of the world right now, thats not entirely beyond the realm of possibility.
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »

Just to be the odd one out, I do think there will be something major happening AROUND December 21, 2012. The Mayan Calendar doesn't say the world will end, just that there will be a major change/disruption. Given the state of the world right now, thats not entirely beyond the realm of possibility.

Well on the bright side the Sioux have the myth of the white buffalo woman.  When a white buffalo calf is born and the sire dies and that calf changes color 4 times it is the buffalo of prophesy which is an omen for a time of great prosperity for the Sioux people.   Supposedly such an animal was born.  So there are cultural groups who aren't predicting doom and gloom.  Both have a 50% chance of being correct.

Riddler

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:37 PM »

Just to be the odd one out, I do think there will be something major happening AROUND December 21, 2012.

well, you can count out paula abdul getting let go from 'idol'

maybe prince will come out of the closet?

or, ted kennedy will stop drinking?

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »

So none of you think that there is possibly a red-dwarf star? 

Maybe.

And that the star is on an oval orbit that brings it within range to screw with the earths gravitation every 5000 years or so. 

No.

They created a tiny black hole that is now falling through the earth sucking up matter as it goes and growing as it does.

Oh, is that why I'm losing weight so slowly?

It wouldn't change what you weigh.

rabidfurby

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »

So none of you think that there is possibly a red-dwarf star?  And that the star is on an oval orbit that brings it within range to screw with the earths gravitation every 5000 years or so.   And by doing that it sets off earthquakes, floods, fires, and general catastrophic crap.

It's possible, but one of the things about pseudoscience that pisses me off the most is they glom on to anything within the scientific realm that even vaguely supports their bullshit, and claim it as evidence, even if there's a mountain of contradictory evidence or logical flaws in the idea.

From that article you linked, it sounds like the best scientific evidence is that there may be something or other beyond the Kuiper Belt, but there's no hard evidence that it exists, or of what it might be, or what its orbital path is. And they suggest that if it exists, it may help explain periodic extinctions on Earth, but not every 5,000 years - every 25 million. And they don't suggest it'd directly affect Earth, just disturb the Kuiper Belt enough to send an abnormal number of comets hurtling towards the Sun.

Suppose we assume there's something else with a 5,000 year orbital period. For the Mayans to have known that period in order to base their calendar around it, they would have had to witness at least two of its approaches, each one 5,000 years apart, and record the date of each, with enough accuracy to predict the exact date of the next one.

Then, you run into the problem that if this pile of bad shit happens exactly every 5,125 years, there should be cave paintings or some other artifacts somewhere else in the world depicting it too, which could be carbon dated to show that it coincides with the Mayan calendar.

There's also the fact that for this hypothetical comet or asteroid or whatever to be able to affect the Earth just by passing us, it'd need to be pretty goddamn big. Many times the size of the moon, because for a predictable 5,000 year cycle it would need to be able to wreak havoc on the Earth from farther away than the moon is (otherwise for most of its approaches it would harmlessly pass us). Something with that much gravitional pull would also fuck with all the other bodies in the solar system it passed, not just Earth. If it did this every 5,000 years, it would leave noticable orbital irregularities, like with our moon, or Mars' two peanuts, Phobos and Deimos.

tl;dr - Every last bit of this 2012 crap is 200 proof pseudoscientific bullshit.

BonerJoe

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 01:56:52 AM »

Then, you run into the problem that if this pile of bad shit happens exactly every 5,125 years, there should be cave paintings or some other artifacts somewhere else in the world depicting it too, which could be carbon dated to show that it coincides with the Mayan calendar.

Actually, there are "records". But I suppose they're open to interpretation.

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 02:43:47 AM »

records of jews doing it
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

BonerJoe

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 02:53:19 AM »

records of jews doing it

:|
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  December 21, 2012

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.