Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Dating Rant
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Dating Rant  (Read 126384 times)

alaric89

• View Profile
Re: Dating Rant
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2011, 03:11:27 AM »

A last point I forgot to mention is, according to the scientists who figured out human evolution, that thoughtful speculation about existence, meaning and death is one reason homo sapiens won the earth. There were a whole bunch of upright walking, smart monkeys. The one type still around was the religious one. Not a good argument for the existence of god, just a point for the importance of religions existence.
There is no reason for me to be evangelistic to a libertarian, since the goals are identical to a deist anyway. Deism is only worth mentioning to somebody doing stupid things because of beliefs in some hypocritical bible god. I do like explaining why I believe anyway though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:01:39 AM by alaric89 »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »

Not a good argument for the existence of god, just a point for the importance of religions existence.

Historically yes.

Religion was useful historically. It is an antiquated attempt to explain the meaning of our lives based on the very limited knowledge of primitive tribes, and just like any other incomplete or flawed idea, it's slowly going away, thankfully.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »

I can't argue with that. Now what do we do with all these people who claim to be a religion and then deny all the rules, reasons or history of that religion.
This confuses my teeny tiny brain.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2011, 05:36:43 PM »

I can't argue with that. Now what do we do with all these people who claim to be a religion and then deny all the rules, reasons or history of that religion.
This confuses my teeny tiny brain.
Now you're talking Final Solution type stuff.

How about you just don't do anything with them.  Let them live their life and leave them alone except for commerce purposes.  Mind your own business and let them mind theirs.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2011, 01:43:29 AM »

Good god. I meant in discussions. How would you try to get anywhere in a conversation with someone who says "I am a Christian except for believing in that whole Christ thing."  Why are you always trying to find racism where their isn't any?
I consistently bust on inconsistency, its just easy with religious people. Its actually easier with Christians, but none are around at the moment. Next time Gene goes on a rant help him out against the likes of me and Shaw.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2011, 01:50:13 AM »

Good god. I meant in discussions. How would you try to get anywhere in a conversation with someone who says "I am a Christian except for believing in that whole Christ thing."  Why are you always trying to find racism where their isn't any?
I consistently bust on inconsistency, its just easy with religious people. Its actually easier with Christians, but none are around at the moment. Next time Gene goes on a rant help him out against the likes of me and Shaw.
Why would I help him out?  I don't agree with him.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2011, 04:22:05 AM »

I understand that personal experiences have an emotional weight and can be very convincing.
That's all the more reason to put it to the test to be sure.
If you can't replicate the event (Or you have no testable physical evidence left behind) you can't claim to have real knowledge.
Climbing Mount Sinai and talking to bushes will not result in bushes talking back, let alone bursting into flames. You can go there and try it as many times as you like.
<<<Not trying to bust religious people's balls here.
My only beef is religious people who start using the language of science and then refuse to acknowledge some of the simplest tenants of it.
Creationism comes to mind. Don't talk to me and try to poke holes in evolution when you are trying to make the claim for creationism. Provide the evidence in favor of creationism. Telling me all about complex systems not coming from simple scenarios because of the Second Law of Thermodynamics (Which has nothing to do with anything but fucking heat and radiation and pressure and shit tending to equilibrate.) causing all things fall apart rather than assemble or some nonsense irritates the shit outta me.

Tell me you have faith and I'll respect you. (If not your faith itself.) Tell me you believe it and you have no evidence and you know it and I'll say "I disagree, but if you aren't hurting me and you accept "No" for an answer when ya ask for a few minutes of my time to talk about the future of my immortal soul we're cool."

Lets put the theory that a giant asteroid killed the dinosaurs into the equation. Is it repeatedly testable? Why use a different standard for things we assume are correct than things we don't?
Well, who doubts that theory?

Since science is a topic, lets have an atheistic apologist explain how they can reconcile their beliefs with the big bang. I have yet to hear an atheist explain how they can believe in the big bang when it goes against one of the tenants of their belief system.

Creationism is wrong. The world is billions of years old.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2011, 05:27:15 AM »

The other day, I had to pick up a transcript from my ex-fiancees apartment. I didn't recognize her at the door. She had a sexy new haircut, was wearing makeup/earrings, and heels. I never saw her like that in the time we were dating. We talked a bit in her apartment, and she invited me to coffee. From the coffee shop, we went to a bar. I got blitzed to the point where I lost it in a taxi that night.

That led us to having sex in an alley in Manhattan next to a sidewalk.  We put the half of our clothes we didn't rip off back on when we found a used hypodermic syringe on the ground next to us. This inspired us to go to her apartment, where we again had sex. This time in the hallway because her roommate could wake up. I left at daybreak.

When I got back home I started pregaming my hangover away with some beer while waiting for the model to come to my place. She bailed on me last minute, so I called up an old girlie to set up a preliminary time for a date in the near future.

I also have a tentative religious date in a few days.

Nothing else to report.

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:32 AM »

Sex with the ex and some waiting on the side.
High five. 8)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2011, 12:53:51 PM »

Lets put the theory that a giant asteroid killed the dinosaurs into the equation. Is it repeatedly testable? Why use a different standard for things we assume are correct than things we don't?
Well, who doubts that theory?

Lots of scientists doubt the asteroid impact theory, actually.

The asteroid impact theory is one of several possible explanations. There is repeatably testable evidence, here it is:

The asteroid theory is one of many, but yes, you can dig down to layers of rock from the Cretaceous/Tertiary boundary, everywhere on Earth, and find levels of Iridium 30 times higher than anywhere else. Those levels of iridium can only come from two places, from a space rock or from deep down near the Earth's core, deeper than most volcanic rock. If you go anywhere on Earth and dig down to that level, the iridium is there. The entire Earth go sprinkled with it at some point between the Cretaceous/Tertiary periods. You can test this repeatedly and anywhere on the planet.

No, we can't whack the Earth repeatedly, but yes, you can repeatedly test for evidence.

Impact ejecta is also common in the Cretaceous/Tertiary layers. That's beads or lumps of melted rock. All over the planet. This can and has been repeatedly tested all over the world.

Shocked quartz, something that can only be generated by high-energy impacts or explosions, is common in the Cretaceous/Tertiary layers. Repeatedly testable.

The Yucatan peninsula crater is 150km wide at dates to that era. Big enough to cause that damage. Obviously there's only one of it, so no, you can't find more than one example.

The fossil record abruptly changes at the Cretaceous/Tertiary layers.

There are other theories, again. There is evidence that changes in plant life, when all the gymnosperm plants started giving out to the rapid growth of angiosperm plants. There's evidence that one sort of food went mostly away while another food became plentiful. A type of food that herbivorous dinosaurs couldn't eat. Veggie dinos - Veggies = No food for meaty dinos either. Rapid food chain issues.

There is also the theory that dinosaurs are still running around and flying around right now, and that they are now called "Birds".

Science isn't required to have certain answers. It is required to put forth as much evidence as it can to support a theory and see if it fits the model.

Since science is a topic, lets have an atheistic apologist explain how they can reconcile their beliefs with the big bang. I have yet to hear an atheist explain how they can believe in the big bang when it goes against one of the tenants of their belief system.

I am not an atheistic apologist.

Nevertheless, the "Big bang" is a slang phrase that has no particular meaning. The real deal in regards to the big bang is this - The universe is expanding. You can repeatably test this. Everywhere you look, every single piece of matter in the universe is shifted toward the red. The Doppler effect is repeatably testable. Things moving toward you visibly (Depending on relative speed) shift toward the color blue, things moving away shift toward the red. Everything in the universe is shifted toward the red.

This means that if you go back far enough in time, it is likely that everything in the universe came from a single point in space and has expanded outward and continues to do so.

That's all we know. Science makes NO claims about what happened before that, how it happened, or what caused the rapid expansion.

The Big Bang model, or theory, is the prevailing cosmological theory of the early development of the universe. The theory purports to explain some of the earliest events in the universe. According to the theory, the universe was once in an extremely hot and dense state that expanded rapidly (a "Big Bang"). As there is little consensus among physicists about the origins of the universe, the Big Bang theory explains only that such a rapid expansion caused the young universe to cool and resulted in its present continuously expanding state.

If anyone claiming to use science as their toolset says anything other than "I don't know" in response to the question "Where did everything come from." they are full of shit. The same could be said even more strongly of a religious person. I don't know where the universe came from. Neither do you. I know that at one point it was itty bitty and got bigger. I don't know why. Neither do you.

Generally speaking, it is the religious person who claims they know for certain. The scientist of any worth never claims 100% knowledge.

Creationism is wrong. The world is billions of years old.

I have no idea what this means.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:44:04 AM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »

umm... didn't someone make a point of starting a new thread so this one can be kept for Dio's penthouse letter rough drafts?

Dio, more adjectives and adverbs.  The facts of the story are compelling but it failed to suck me in. 

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »

umm... didn't someone make a point of starting a new thread so this one can be kept for Dio's penthouse letter rough drafts?

Dio, more adjectives and adverbs.  The facts of the story are compelling but it failed to suck me in. 

Agreed.

Dio, you must phrase things lustily..

"The slick, wet, still-dripping hypodermic syringe" is far more sexy than your vanilla G-Rated spew.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Trillian

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »

*sigh* I don't think I believe your dating rant to be true anymore. Too much normal ass hole frat boy to find it interesting. So really even if what you've said happened did I don't care to see it. I was so compelled for so long- hell I barely do anything on the bbs but read this thread and talk about motorcycle and now as far as this goes eh. That makes me sad. :cry:

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 11, 2011, 11:41:12 PM »

There was whats being called a baby boom among the alumni of my yeshiva recently. Within 72 hours or so, 4 guys had kids. Those little guys are going to grow up together as best friends, since most of my friends live within a few blocks of one another.

In other news, I am still single. The friends I have that were married first have little rugrats running around their houses. I get invited over for meals on the sabbath all the time, and you better believe it that these kids are going to get picked up, and thrown around. It gets to the point where if I don't show up, they're dissapointed, and when I do, they run over to me, and throw their little arms around my knee, asking me to pick them up.

I love little kids. They have yet to absorb the cynicism and duplicity of adulthood. It all comes to mind because I just received this in the mail:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/20110811201000.jpg/

At passover, I promised my friends little daughter a jawbreaker if she made a really funny face at me. I recently found a jawbreaker, one the size of a softball, and mailed it to her, and her mother had her send me a thank you note for the gift.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:45:06 PM by Diogenes The Cynic »

-Dennis Goddard

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 12, 2011, 12:18:57 AM »

:D
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Dating Rant

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.