Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History  (Read 29440 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2010, 02:19:11 PM »

I thought it was one of his weaker shows.  I already knew 90% of what that show covered, and he didn't explore the idea of recognition of Property Rights in dealings between very different cultures in sufficient depth.

He even failed to mention the #1 most interesting thing about this era: that some of the best sailors in the world in the early 1400s (employed by both Chinese and Europeans) were Muslims, and there's a chance they had more to do with the discovery of the Americas than the post-Reconquista historical revision will lead you to believe.  They probably also visited Australia before the Europeans as well.

Alex Libman

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »

• April 28, 2010 - "Show 33 - (BLITZ) Old School Toughness" - Does the toughness of peoples play any role in history? How can historians deal with such an amorphous human quality? Historiography, boxing, barbarians, philosophy and wisdom are among the subjects touched upon.

Now that's one of his better shows!

Alex Libman

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »

• June 28, 2010 - "Show 34 - Death Throes of the Republic I" - The wars which elevate Rome to superpower status also sow the seed for the downfall of its political system. Money, slaves, ambition, political stalemate and class warfare prove to be a toxic, bloody mix.

Alex Libman

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »

According to the dates in the RSS feed, the last three episodes of Hardcore History came out on the 27th day of the month, two months apart - February, April, and June.  (My pasting of the 28th day twice above must be a one-off error, and I guess "February 7" was a typo for 27.)  So, if the pattern holds, we should see a new episode later this week.   :P

Alex Libman

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »

• August 29, 2010 - "Show 35 - Death Throes of the Republic II" - Disaster threatens the Republic, but the cure might be worse than the disease. "The Dan Carlin version" of this story continues with ambition-addict Marius dominating the story and Plutarch dominating the sources.

Stoker

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »

• June 28, 2010 - "Show 34 - Death Throes of the Republic I" - The wars which elevate Rome to superpower status also sow the seed for the downfall of its political system. Money, slaves, ambition, political stalemate and class warfare prove to be a toxic, bloody mix.

Unfortunately, that describes quite exactly the position America is in right now. The outcome is going to be different however (IMO). In ancient Rome's cases, these things caused a total breakdown of the empire, shattering it into small pieces, in our current case, America will remain as an entity (considerably weakened and defanged), but will be absorbed into a larger global empire, currently referred to as the New World Order.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »

Well... He promised he'd wrap Rome up in the 6th and final segment no matter how long it took.  It's 5.5 hours!

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2011, 03:31:35 AM »

Very riveting. I usually don't find history all that interesting.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2011, 10:12:23 AM »

Very riveting. I usually don't find history all that interesting.

I think you'd like Ghosts of the Ostfront -

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »

I like his history podcast, but he's beating the Rome thing to death. Time to move on.

But, maybe it's because I get enough Roman history from The History of Rome podcast.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »

I tried to listen to that and found it far too dry.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »

I tried to listen to that and found it far too dry.
I haven't listened to the latest podcasts but I found him very engaging.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »

Dan Carlin is.  That Rome podcast guy is not.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.