Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History  (Read 29356 times)

Alex Libman 14

Re: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »

Thanks, you've beat me to it.  :D

Looking forward to 1 hour 30 minutes and 4 seconds of pure HARDCORE!

Oh, this reminds me of a discussion Ian and Mark had on a show a few days back (June 13th?) about what would have happened if USA hadn't intervened in WW2 (i.e. by provoking Japan and setting up an oil embargo).  As a person who've lived in the Soviet Union and knows quite a bit about the time period, I am 100% certain that USSR would have fallen within just a few months, with Japan finding most of the natural resources then needed in Siberia instead of Indochina.  The German navy would have just sailed into the Black Sea and a lot more Holodomor-weary Ukrainians would have welcomed them.  A huge amount of the Soviet war-time manufacturing base and even logistic support came from the United States.  After a decade of ever-growing political repression, the Stalinist economy was on the verge of collapse.  They couldn't even get enough warm socks for their soldiers without foreign aid, much less rifles and heavy equipment manufacturing know-how!  The war is what saved it, ideologically as well as with all the foreign aid the country has received.

WW2 should have been like any other war in history - dysfunctional nations (Poland, USSR, China, etc) having chunks of them taken over by more functional ones (Germany, Japan), which is in no way different from what USA has done to Mexico over the years...  The Madagascar Plan (or something similar) made a lot more political sense than the Holocaust, but after England and France declared war Germany had little choice.  If America had stayed out of the war, opened its borders to refugees, and kept at it with the free market economy, it would have been even better off while the Eurasian dictatorships burn themselves out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:53:04 PM by Alex Libman 2012 »

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »

sweeeet

First a shower and now this.  It's a good life.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »

Ghosts of the Ostfront III is now out. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »

Cowcidile

• Cruel Tyrant Cason
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »

:shock: HOLY HELL! There is going to be a part four. How cool is that.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »

Yaay!  :D

• August 10, 2009 - "Show 29 - Ghosts of the Ostfront III" - In Part Three of the Ostfront series covering WW2 on the Eastern Front, Dan looks at the situation in the U.S.S.R. during 1942 and early 1943, including the dreadful Battle of Stalingrad.

Gonna save it for late tonight, when I'll take a nice long walk and listen to it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:05:01 PM by Alex Libman »

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2009, 12:07:55 PM »

It hasn't popped up on my iTunes yet.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 03:21:01 AM »

Ghosts of the Ostfront IV is now out!!  :D

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php?page=hharchive

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 04:28:52 AM »

Thanks.  :D

• October 10, 2009 - "Show 30 - Ghosts of the Ostfront IV" - In the final episode of the horror story that is the Eastern Front the tale descends into unimaginable darkness as vengeance is called down on Germany.  This graphic episode is not for young ears.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2009, 01:48:23 AM »

(I keep missing the updates because I always feel silly having my RSS scripts bang against a feed that's only updated every 1-2 months, so I comment it out.)

• December 9, 2009 - "Show 31 - (BLITZ) Suffer the Children" - Dan's exposure to the idea of "psychohistory" gets him thinking about how children were raised in the past. Could widespread child abuse and bad parenting in earlier eras explain some of history's brutality?

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2009, 03:29:41 AM »

I absolutely love this guy, and ordered his archives on disk.  I wanted to support him, and it is great to have all his old episodes available for listening.  Anybody have any other recommendations for similar stuff?  I found some UCal Berkeley discussion on WW1 that is from a history class that was pretty interesting, but don't have the link handy.  It was easy to find on the google or startpage though.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »

I absolutely love this guy, and ordered his archives on disk.  I wanted to support him, and it is great to have all his old episodes available for listening.  Anybody have any other recommendations for similar stuff?  I found some UCal Berkeley discussion on WW1 that is from a history class that was pretty interesting, but don't have the link handy.  It was easy to find on the google or startpage though.

I am very much enjoying Michael Duncon's The History of Rome podcast. http://thehistoryofrome.blogspot.com/
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

spicynujac

• Fasism Sucks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2009, 01:54:52 AM »

Awesome, thanks Mike.  I trust your judgement and this is exactly the topic I was looking for!  Downloading now...
I did find Edward Gibbon's famous "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" on free mp3 in public domain online, but its such a huge work, I would rather listen to some shorter podcasts.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2010, 03:29:56 AM »

Finally...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:32:38 AM by Alex Libman »

inane

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »

/\
 l
yeah, it was a great episode. Check it out if you have the time.
Astrology is as vacuous as the space it worships.
-Perry DeAngelis
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.