Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Creating a Freedom-Oriented RPG
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a Freedom-Oriented RPG  (Read 5478 times)

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
Creating a Freedom-Oriented RPG
« on: March 28, 2007, 01:00:57 AM »

I have been interested in programming a text based freedom-oriented role playing game for a little while now. I've been asking a few people I know for help with the design of the game, but when I saw some interest about such a thing here, I have decided to share some of my ideas about it.

Runner is an example of the interface I whipped up.

Quote from: MobileDigit
It would superfically be similar to a Roguelike game. Another game that it might perhaps reflect is Wasteland.

The executive overview of the story so far is a scifi dystopian future in which the government has created a self-sustaining colony of humans and mutants, which revolts and ends the government, creating an anarcho-capitalist society.

Using technology based on Runner, the user controls one of the characters that leads a team to cripple and end the government that enslaved them.

Some names of different types of mutants so far: Addis, Draziw, Gicol, Whetch, Ziw

I haven't formed any ideas of exactly what these mutants are, but I thought they were neat mutant-like names.

It is a role-playing game, but I want it to be classless, I have always thought that they are a bit unrealistic. I think a better system is based on having archetypes that are modified with skills gained though experience, so the character can better fit the user's play-style.

I don't know what skills to have yet, or attributes, but I am leaning toward having a small list.
Of course, while simplicity can be logically and aesthetically pleasing, it may not make for a fun and interesting game, which is the ultimate goal.

What do you think?

Are you interested?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Alex Libman

Re: Creating a Freedom-Oriented RPG
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:15 AM »

Sorry, I've ended my game programmer wanna-be career when Final Fantasy VII came out...

Damn I need a drink...  :cry:

cerpntaxt

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:57:35 AM »

There is most definitely demand for one (from me), but I don't know anything about game programming :?

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 02:30:24 AM »

What about ideas about the design of the game, including story, enemies, weapons, etc.?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

cerpntaxt

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 02:36:57 AM »

Yeah I can help with that

libertus

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:28:23 AM »

I could probably help with a few ideas, but I have a friend that you would probably want to talk to about this. He's a strange guy but a programmer, and I think he might be interested. I'll give him a call and see if he is, and see if I can give you his email address to send your ideas to.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »

Ever hear of Morrowind?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mrapplecastle

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:10:45 PM »

Morrowind was pretty cool, I didnt get to play it much
the Fallout series is pretty good

jckeyser

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:25:26 PM »

Morrowind was pretty cool, I didnt get to play it much
the Fallout series is pretty good

Fallout is the shiz.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:28:06 AM »

Anybody have additional ideas about the story?

Alex Libman

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »

Ayn Rand's Anthem, if done correctly, would make a good story starting point...

EDIT:  and some snow-camouflaged winter combat would be cool.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:55:43 PM by Alex Libman »

lordmetroid

• Agorist of the Libertarian Left
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 08:36:03 AM »

Yes, I have been thinking about this some time as well... And I agree with Alex, anthem would make a cool introduction to such a game.
Matrix is also quite interesting because of the ignorrant dependense on the system and the will to eliminate all things that threatens their world view.

Maybe I should start coding again :D I feel the urge to do so with this idea. Though I would make it an action RPG and for a console such a Nintendo DS!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:37:40 AM by lordmetroid »

jckeyser

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 08:58:42 AM »

Yes, I have been thinking about this some time as well... And I agree with Alex, anthem would make a cool introduction to such a game.
Matrix is also quite interesting because of the ignorrant dependense on the system and the will to eliminate all things that threatens their world view.

Maybe I should start coding again :D I feel the urge to do so with this idea. Though I would make it an action RPG and for a console such a Nintendo DS!

The Wii needs more. The only thing its lacking.

lordmetroid

• Agorist of the Libertarian Left
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »

Indeed the Wii is interesting, but it takes so much effort to make any such game due to the sheer expectations that one would want to achieve regarding graphics and size of the game.

Brent

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »

I was really hoping this thread would have something to do with homemade rocket propelled grenade launchers.  Oh well. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Creating a Freedom-Oriented RPG

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 31 queries.