Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Cop Killed By Crazy Vietnam Vet [Graphic Video]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cop Killed By Crazy Vietnam Vet [Graphic Video]  (Read 27666 times)

Riddler

Re: Cop Killed By Crazy Vietnam Vet [Graphic Video]
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:03:36 PM by Dragline »

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »

I hear ya Dragline.

My only argument would be, based on what you just said, that if speed is an issue, why not set the speed limit at a point where car crashes wouldn't be deadly, if that is the main goal of speed limits? Cuz at 65 mph, youre just as dead-as-fuck as someone going 95 if you hit an oak tree, or another car coming towards you the opposite way. 65 or 95 wont matter much. Sure, you can argue that some people wont have time to react when pulling out into traffic when theres a guy going 100 mph down the road youre trying to get on. You can also argue that an 80 yr old lady pulling out of the church parking lot will have that same delay in reaction time with a guy on the road only going 50.

I guess what im trying to say is that, for me it all comes down to this lowest common denominator shit making the rules. Maybe I just dont give a fuck about slow people who cant deal. Slow reaction time? Stay off the god damn roads then.

Pretty harsh I know.

PS - If I was king of this country, there would be no speed limits, but if you messed someone up, or killed someone due to the speed you were driving, you get thrown on "the island" with the murderers. I think people might think a little harder about what speed they feel they can drive safe at.

The point is the risk. Risk has cost. If the rate of traffic on a road is usually around 65, people calculate and prepare for that level of risk. Whatever the arbitrary number is, whether set by daily routines (as is the case with hwy 75 on the east coast) or set by some stupid bureaucrat, the vet was imposing extra, nonconsensual costs on other drivers. (A real life manifestation of this is how auto insurance rates differ based on region.)

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »

Your point is well taken. I just wish the limit was higher, say around 120. People would get used to it eventually. Sure, there would be a transition period and accidents would go up, but thats the price of progress. I hear what you're saying though.

Speaking of points, I've often though it would be a great idea for car manufacturers to install a 6" razor sharp spike, built right into the steering wheel, about 6" away from the driver, aimed directly at his chest, standard equip on all makes and models. I think Mark or somebody actually mentioned something of that nature on FTL before. Imagine how much more respect for driving safety people would have if they knew they would be impaled to the backrest if they carelessly hit something, instead of a cushy air bag popping out to save them.  :P "Suuuure, drive as fast as you want............ just watch out for that pesky spike, or there'll be hell to pay sonny!!"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:13:54 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2011, 11:54:10 PM »

Your point is well taken. I just wish the limit was higher, say around 120. People would get used to it eventually. Sure, there would be a transition period and accidents would go up, but thats the price of progress. I hear what you're saying though.

Speaking of points, I've often though it would be a great idea for car manufacturers to install a 6" razor sharp spike, built right into the steering wheel, about 6" away from the driver, aimed directly at his chest, standard equip on all makes and models. I think Mark or somebody actually mentioned something of that nature on FTL before. Imagine how much more respect for driving safety people would have if they knew they would be impaled to the backrest if they carelessly hit something, instead of a cushy air bag popping out to save them.  :P "Suuuure, drive as fast as you want............ just watch out for that pesky spike, or there'll be hell to pay sonny!!"
Silly boy.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2011, 12:03:03 AM »

someones gotta be

might as well be me
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Cop Killed By Crazy Vietnam Vet [Graphic Video]

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.