Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Contagion (the movie)
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contagion (the movie)  (Read 1182 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Contagion (the movie)
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »

To expound upon my brief call at the end of FTL last night...

This movie was fear-mongering, pro-government propaganda, full of police state imagery that is de-emphasized and played down in a non-threatening manner. People are issued bar code bracelets after getting vaccinated that are scanned by military personnel before they can enter public places. The one guy who suggests that there might be unknown potential consequences to a rapidly approved government-issued vaccine and conflicts of interest in its production is ultimately proven to be a liar who's just bilking people of money with his own fear-mongering. He's obviously an Alex Jones spoof. Meanwhile, what little bit of drama there is is simply the result of people panicking and failing to be obedient to government orders for quarantining entire cities and shit.

But far worse than any of that about this movie is that it was

FUCKING BORING!

You keep waiting for something interesting to happen and it never does. The moral of this story seems to be "Don't panic as the police state explodes around you. Stay calm and compliant until the authorities get the crisis under control." and that's exactly how it plays out.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Contagion (the movie)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:05:47 PM »

Shame, with such a star studded cast too.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
Re: Contagion (the movie)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »

I loved it for it's low key nature, but I agree that it wasn't really something stellar. I think there's a time and a place for realism, but if they wanted realism in regards to how people would react to a Black Plague or Spanish Flu like situation, then they should've focused on the total breakdown of society and not the CSI-like shit of finding a cure/vaccine. Hell, look at the art that was created in Milan and Venice during the Black Plague, it's fucking creepy stuff. It doesn't take that much imagination to see what would've come out of a modern equivalent (Jones towns every other county, cops rounding up and 'liberating' people in mass grave sites, and the like).
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Contagion (the movie)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 31 queries.