Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Commodore 64 Original Hardware Laptop
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Commodore 64 Original Hardware Laptop  (Read 2421 times)

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
Commodore 64 Original Hardware Laptop
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »

This project somehow has the distinction of being both the longest and fastest portable electronics project I have ever done. I originally started making a C64 laptop in the fall of 2006, and kept pecking away at it every so often. Finally, a few weeks ago, I said “screw it” and started over.

I redid everything in a week and a half - the shortest project ever. (The previous record hold was the Wii portable at 2 weeks) The goal this time was to make something that looked exactly like a computer from the early 80’s, yet in a new form. Including the color beige and texture.

http://benheck.com/04-05-2009/commodore-64-original-hardware-laptop
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Commodore 64 Original Hardware Laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

Wow neat.  But Why?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

JWI

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »

Very cool!  Fun shit tinkering with things.  Are the keys the same loud clickity clack ones from the original C64 keyboard?

I recently picked up painting again....I'm terrible, so I will share none of my "art".

JWI

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:30:57 PM »

BTW, nice blog.  I bookmarked it to read more later...I never ever bookmark blogs, unless you count Lew Rockwell.

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 03:58:05 PM »

Very cool!  Fun shit tinkering with things.  Are the keys the same loud clickity clack ones from the original C64 keyboard?

I recently picked up painting again....I'm terrible, so I will share none of my "art".

cuz he can, if you read about ben heck, hes the master hardware hacker, his xbox 360 laptop sells for 5k I believe, people ask, he delivers

http://benheck.com/02-03-2008/xbox-360-elite-laptop
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

JWI

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »

cuz he can, if you read about ben heck, hes the master hardware hacker, his xbox 360 laptop sells for 5k I believe, people ask, he delivers

http://benheck.com/02-03-2008/xbox-360-elite-laptop

yeah I saw the Xbox laptop.  I can't believe Microsoft isn't pissed about that.  I'd think they mass produce them and sell 'em themselves.

MasterShake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »

Benheck is a topic of frequent discussion at the other forum I populate -- http://www.atariage.com

He has a ton of neat stuff.  I want the 2600 portable he built
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Commodore 64 Original Hardware Laptop

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 31 queries.