Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  College costs going to kill us students.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: College costs going to kill us students.  (Read 20121 times)

LTKoblinsky

• View Profile
Re: College costs going to kill us students.
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »

He would, but the Mexicans already snatched all those up...I guess Lou Dobbs is right...

My wife's new site. Covers fashion, motherhood, our journey to NH, and soon activism.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »

Guess which state is leading the way by a large margin?

Be loud, be proud. It's New Hampshire.

A review of approved budgets for fiscal year 2012 shows historic cuts in state operating support for four-year public universities. Based on data from 49 states compiled by AASCU, 35 states saw declining state appropriations for public four-year universities compared to fiscal year 2011, contrasted with just eight that received increased funds. Six states had flat funding (see table). There was wide variation, with North Dakota providing the largest increase, at 6.8 percent, and New Hampshire, which witnessed an astonishing 48 percent cut in state appropriations to its public colleges and universities. All told, the collective average change for the states included in the analysis was a negative 6.1 percent. Thirteen states witnessed double-digit decreases.

Following New Hampshire with the most severe reductions were
Arizona (-24 percent)
California (-23 percent)
Washington (-23 percent)
Colorado (-21 percent)
Pennsylvania (-18 percent)
Michigan (-15 percent)
Nevada (-15 percent)
North Carolina (-14 percent)
Oregon (-13 percent)
Ohio (-11 percent)
Wisconsin (-11 percent)
South Dakota (-10 percent)
http://www.congressweb.com/aascu/docfiles/AASCU-StateOutlook-July2011.pdf

I recommend community college for at least 2 years for anyone thinking about going to college unless they can get college for free.  I don't wish a large college related debt on anyone but the government shouldn't pay for adults to go to college.  I'm glad NH (and not just this year) is out front, leading on this issue.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:23:06 AM by One two three »
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Sovereign Curtis

• View Profile
    • http://porcfest.com
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »

48%?!?!?!? HOLY CANOLE! Thats double the next biggest cut! Go NH!

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »

Daaaaaamn. Thats cool.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »

Its all within the confines of the Free State Project.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2011, 06:06:01 AM »

It's become obvious I gotta take this year off. I'm feeling kind of sick, not sure how to best tell my parents. It sure as fuck doesn't help my brother is getting married next week, any extra money we had lying around is going towards that.

I honestly never should have gone straight to college, I should have taken some time off after high school. I'm a socially anxious person, and I was about to go up to Penn State main campus this year.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:12:31 AM by Pizzly »
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 06:12:11 AM »

Every libertarian needs to drop out of college and get a dead end service sector job if the y love liberty! Colleges are wings of the state and pursuing a job in engineering or science is immoral because you need to go to a partially government funded school to do it! Voting is immoral too!  Blech.

Dude if you need to take a year off to work and save money to pay tuition then do it. But don't drop outour give up on your dreams regardless of what some idiots or talk show hosts tell you.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2011, 06:20:16 AM »

Dude if you need to take a year off to work and save money to pay tuition then do it. But don't drop outour give up on your dreams regardless of what some idiots or talk show hosts tell you.

My problem is that I never really had any dreams. I'm your typical loser, no friends and haven't worked in over a year, living with my parents, etc. I'm a smart guy, was near the top in all my AP classes, but never did clubs or any shit like that. I never really had much of an interest in anything in particular.

There is one reason I went to college, everyone else was (and the easy loans). Everyone in my AP classes were going to college, the teachers all made a fuss about it, and I figured since I'm so great at math and science I might as well do engineering. Got to college, felt like more high school. I'm almost glad I can't pay this tuition, the only problem is that I'm going to have to find a job. The last job interview I went to was over a year ago, I nearly had a panic attack (due to my social anxiety). Right now I'm just so flustered it's not even funny.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »

My problem is that I never really had any dreams. I'm your typical loser, no friends and haven't worked in over a year, living with my parents, etc. I'm a smart guy, was near the top in all my AP classes, but never did clubs or any shit like that. I never really had much of an interest in anything in particular.

There is one reason I went to college, everyone else was (and the easy loans). Everyone in my AP classes were going to college, the teachers all made a fuss about it, and I figured since I'm so great at math and science I might as well do engineering. Got to college, felt like more high school. I'm almost glad I can't pay this tuition, the only problem is that I'm going to have to find a job. The last job interview I went to was over a year ago, I nearly had a panic attack (due to my social anxiety). Right now I'm just so flustered it's not even funny.

I was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago, going to college for no reason. FTL & its BBS made me realize its  OK to not be in college throwing my money away on nothing.  You're going to have to work on that job problem whether you get a degree or not, might as well take off and find some good work. If you're smart, you'll learn to be competitive in the workplace.  Just know it wont be easy. People will constantly ask you what school you are going to, are you just taking a year off, that EVERYONE needs a college degree, etc. I am in the cooking field now and I still have assholes tell my mother right in front of me that I will never get anywhere because I dont have a culinary degree. Fucking bitches dont know shit but they'll still say it.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 05:11:59 AM »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSTWAK38Pj0&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSTWAK38Pj0&feature=feedrec_grec_index

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »

I wonder how many people haven't been able to go to college due to the cost?

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 12:00:28 AM »

I wonder how many people haven't been able to go to college due to the cost?

Seems like most can attend, but not all can afford to finish.

BonerJoe

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 12:16:19 AM »

Mining engineering.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »

With a "hee hee hee" and a "Ha huh hoe"
look and see where that money will go....
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/08/the-debt-crisis-at-american-colleges/243777/

BonerJoe

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  College costs going to kill us students.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.