Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  College costs going to kill us students.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: College costs going to kill us students.  (Read 20124 times)

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
Re: College costs going to kill us students.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 01:36:27 AM »

College is for losers.  (Myself included, unfortunately.  I do have a couple of degrees, but I consider that time / money a 100% waste.  I already knew more about Computer Science than any of the professors!)

In my field, some good IT certifications and a portfolio showing practical experience (ex. open source work) would totally replace the need for a degree, and you can achieve that in a fraction of the time, and for an even smaller fraction of the cost.  I just wish there were more free market certifications to replace other degrees - science, business, teaching, medical, etc.

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 05:22:49 AM »

It's likely I'm might have to drop out. I might go back eventually, but the costs are just too crazy. Besides, I wasn't prepared for it emotionally/intellectually. The only problem is that this probably means I'm going to have to start paying back the money I owe, doesn't it?
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 09:37:32 AM »

The only problem is that this probably means I'm going to have to start paying back the money I owe, doesn't it?

Meh.  Most don't.  Are they private or gubment loans?

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »

It's likely I'm might have to drop out. I might go back eventually, but the costs are just too crazy. Besides, I wasn't prepared for it emotionally/intellectually. The only problem is that this probably means I'm going to have to start paying back the money I owe, doesn't it?

Since you don't need college, there is nothing wrong with dropping out.  Heck, there is a FSPer in Keene that doesn't have a college degree but is offering jobs which pay $30,000 to $40,000 to folks without college degrees that have excellent criminal and driving records and are nice people that want to drive a truck.  He only has 15 or so positions but every 6 months or so another one of those positions opens up.  And if you are good, you can move up in the company and become a supervisor making between $40,000 and $50,000 per year.  

If you are smart, I recommend learning a trade.  It costs b/t nothing and very little to learn many trades.  Why are you so into this college thing?  You know, if you really want to go to colleges, there are colleges/work programs that don't cost any money all over the US.

It sucks that you went to college even when you weren't prepared for it.  Too bad you didn't discover FTL years ago. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:15:56 PM by HR Puff and Stuph »
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 03:01:27 PM »

I dropped out of college after my third semester. I'm now paying back my loans at $50 a month. Its annoying more than anything, given that they constantly fuck up and tell me I have over paid or underpaid when I havent.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »

I dropped out of college after my third semester. I'm now paying back my loans at $50 a month. Its annoying more than anything, given that they constantly fuck up and tell me I have over paid or underpaid when I havent.

You were told this by college educated accountants no less. :lol:
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »

You were told this by college educated accountants no less. :lol:

They'll send me a letter "You didnt pay last month, please pay it now" so I send it in again, then the next month they send me something that says I paid double, so I'm like OK I wont pay this month since they say I owe 0 this month because I paid twice. Then they say I didnt pay again and thus lose some benefit that I didnt know I had in the first place (completely confused by this one) due to not paying.

Sigh.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »

The university I'm getting my PhD at (luckily they pay me rather than the other way around) sold its radio station for millions of dollars. They sent around a survey asking what to do with the money, and none of the options were "cut tuition you greedy fucks".
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 11:32:02 PM »

The government has done a great job at making education cost more than it should.  One of the largest problems in today's society is this belief that everyone should attend a college taking classes that have no practical application.  Those degrees certainly hold value for some people, though I think that for a large minority or perhaps even a majority of people, a four-year program in liberal arts or what have you is simply a waste of time and money.

I studied economics for four years and ended up as a consultant making good money.  My sister studied graphic design for four years and ended up as a waitress and cashier making crappy money and living with my mother.  My brother is a year away from graduating with a degree in electrical and computer engineering.  He already has a job waiting for him once he's out that should pay very well.  The moral of the story?  Don't go to a bullshit school, and don't get a bullshit degree.  Either one of those will kill the value of your diploma.  If you combine them, you're even worse off than someone with only a HS diploma, because they're going to be managing you using the experience they gained working crappy jobs during those four years you were wasting time at school.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 02:11:46 PM »

The government has done a great job at making education cost more than it should.  One of the largest problems in today's society is this belief that everyone should attend a college taking classes that have no practical application.  Those degrees certainly hold value for some people, though I think that for a large minority or perhaps even a majority of people, a four-year program in liberal arts or what have you is simply a waste of time and money.

I studied economics for four years and ended up as a consultant making good money.  My sister studied graphic design for four years and ended up as a waitress and cashier making crappy money and living with my mother.  My brother is a year away from graduating with a degree in electrical and computer engineering.  He already has a job waiting for him once he's out that should pay very well.  The moral of the story?  Don't go to a bullshit school, and don't get a bullshit degree.  Either one of those will kill the value of your diploma.  If you combine them, you're even worse off than someone with only a HS diploma, because they're going to be managing you using the experience they gained working crappy jobs during those four years you were wasting time at school.

A waste of time and money to whom?

If somebody thinks its worth it to spend 4 years, and 80k to learn Art History from a Feminist Perspective, then it isn't a waste of anything, and besides, I doubt there is any opportunity cost lost from such a person anyways.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 08:22:56 AM »

If somebody thinks its worth it to spend 4 years, and 80k to learn Art History from a Feminist Perspective, then it isn't a waste of anything, and besides, I doubt there is any opportunity cost lost from such a person anyways.

If they didn't think it was a waste of time and money, they wouldn't be complaining that they can't get any good jobs with their degree in Art History from a Feminist Perspective, would they?

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »

Step #1 - Get a job as a greeter at Wal Mart. Do this job for 6 months.

Step #2 - Move up to cashier. One year.

Step #3 - Get promoted to Assistant Manager of electronics.

Step #4 - Suck up to General Manager

Step #5 - Get invited to one of their Regional Heidel House Orgy/Business Conferences

Step #6 - Get lots of pictures of the higher-ups snorting coke off hookers asses and make them aware that you have the proof

Step #7 - Get promoted to Regional Logistics Mgr/Sales, making six figures

Now you have a good position under your belt...........sky's the limit for future job interviews.

screw college
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »

If they didn't think it was a waste of time and money, they wouldn't be complaining that they can't get any good jobs with their degree in Art History from a Feminist Perspective, would they?

If they think of college as a job training institute, then their efforts are a malinvestment. Then again, someone who doesn't consider that isn't that bright to begin with.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »

Mother fucking goddam bitch. My tuition I got back will be over 9,500 dollars. That's.... impossible to pay for.
Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

Riddler

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

time to get a lawn care job
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  College costs going to kill us students.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.