Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Clinging to outdated and inefficient things.. What's the word?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clinging to outdated and inefficient things.. What's the word?  (Read 5511 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: Clinging to outdated and inefficient things.. What's the word?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »

I admit I won't be able to help you with finding out the word, but the way he described newspapers is really annoying. It is not outdated, it is just that there are no affordable high-tech mediums available yet that can be bought by everyone from the poor to the rich and that you can safely read as you sip your coffee. Newspapers reach any kind of people and that s why it stays as a good source of the current state of the world

I had a pocket pc back when pocket pc's were cool. They had terrible battery lives, and too much casing for the size of the screens. Otherwise, the technology was fine for reading a few articles in the paper. It was a good proof of concept, and were at the point now where only a few bugs need to be worked out before its all gravy though.

I think survivability is the number one obstacle they've never even tried to overcome. A multimedia player should be at least partially waterproof, handle temperature swings, have a screen that can survive exposure to the sun, etc. Beyond that, its not too hard. Whatever you pay for it should in theory be made up by the new cheapness of the new media. So, for example, since newspapers wont have to print anymore, they can make buying a newspaper online cheaper. Magazines too.

I would rather trade down features for reliability, and would prefer that the os stays the same, so I can always read my magazines that I've already bought through the several media players I would own, like a real library.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Crotale

• Anarcho-capitalist
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
    • Follow me on twitter!
Re: Clinging to outdated and inefficient things.. What's the word?
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »

C'mon talkativeshut, you gotta admit that newspapers are more redundant nowadays to a lot of people. I mean, some people still use them, but their numbers are dwindling.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Clinging to outdated and inefficient things.. What's the word?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.