Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Christmas Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Thread  (Read 30186 times)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: Christmas Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »

I don't 'get' the Santa Clause part of christmas. Why do adults lead children to believe that an omnipotent fat man keeps a list of everything they do at all times during the year? If you're good, you get some nerf guns, a playstation 3, and an extra dose of Ritalin to shut ya up.

It's training wheels for religion.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 08:03:50 AM »

Joe Paterno has cancer!

Really papa?

Yes, but it's treatable!

Awww.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 10:47:53 AM »

Have started crafting out the DIY holiday gifts:

Getting to do this kind of stuff is my favorite part of the holidays.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

latebloomer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »

I have two projects I'm knitting for Giftmas, both are about halfway done: an earflap hat I'm sort-of designing for my honorary nephew, with flames going around the hat, and a monster doll for his sister, who still plays with the one she got last year. (I usually don't craft two years in a row for people, unless they request it.) I'm mostly working on the charted part of the hat during conference calls. Another knitted gift is already done: cashmere fingerless mitts (I upcycled the yarn from a sweater I found a thrift store. It's gorgeous, but SO not my color, so I am not feeling any separation pangs in using it for someone else.)

We started buying new ornaments this year, to replace the ones I bought 15-20 years ago. I'm just sick of them, plus, we want some that are ours, that reflect our interests. So far, we found several robots, a dinosaur and a couple of flying saucers (one with an alien). And a pickle.

Shopping-wise, I'm at least done with my niece and nephew, or will be when the stuff I ordered arrives. I found out last night that one of the things I got for my niece has to be reordered, because she has recently decided that pink is evil. Fine by me -  I hate it, too - but last I heard she still loved it, so I ordered hers in pink. At least I have time! And someone else on my list that will love the pink thing. I was so happy to see books on their lists this year. I like buying books for kids, if they want them, but have found that surprising them doesn't always work out. I was able to specifically order ones they wanted, which will make us both happy!

I also decided that instead of donating to whatever my office has going on this year, I'd just find a kid who might not be getting a lot this year and buy something for him/her. A friend is going through a rough patch financially, and we've worked out something her daughter will enjoy. (A pink SMASH folio*) which is what I got for my niece, too. The leftover pink one will go to a pink-loving friend.)

*http://kandcompany.eksuccessbrands.com/Product/Pretty+Pink+SMASH+Folio.aspx
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark." - Lord John Whorfin

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

A pickle?

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »

I have two projects I'm knitting for Giftmas, both are about halfway done: an earflap hat I'm sort-of designing for my honorary nephew, with flames going around the hat, and a monster doll for his sister, who still plays with the one she got last year.

Knitting. I'm seriously jealous. That particular craft exceeds my coordination. And, both a cunning hat AND monster doll = awesome!

(I upcycled the yarn from a sweater I found a thrift store. It's gorgeous, but SO not my color, so I am not feeling any separation pangs in using it for someone else.)
Did you learn how to unravel from link on pinterest? Is it tough to do and do you get pretty good lengths?

I got for my niece has to be reordered, because she has recently decided that pink is evil. Fine by me -  I hate it, too - but last I heard she still loved it, so I ordered hers in pink.
Guessing she's in the 8-11 age group?

I also decided that instead of donating to whatever my office has going on this year, I'd just find a kid who might not be getting a lot this year and buy something for him/her. A friend is going through a rough patch financially, and we've worked out something her daughter will enjoy. (A pink SMASH folio*) which is what I got for my niece, too. The leftover pink one will go to a pink-loving friend.)

*http://kandcompany.eksuccessbrands.com/Product/Pretty+Pink+SMASH+Folio.aspx

Nice plan! And thanks for the link to SMASH folio - I think my daughter would like something like that. She thinks diaries are for babies, but this goes into cool journal/scrapbook territory. I've been struggling to figure out some ideas for her other than clothes and $$ for her iPod Touch savings.

The boys are so much easier:
NanoBlocks http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/e8ca/
Nerf http://www.etsy.com/listing/67669740/steampunk-gun-nerf-maverick-n-strike?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=steampunk+nerf&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »

Laetitia that Owl bag is so adorable!!
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

latebloomer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 02:14:56 PM »

Knitting. I'm seriously jealous. That particular craft exceeds my coordination. And, both a cunning hat AND monster doll = awesome!

Funny, because I feel the exact same way about crochet. I have to do a crochet edging on the hat and I am SO dreading it. (Single crochet around, will take me a while.)

Did you learn how to unravel from link on pinterest? Is it tough to do and do you get pretty good lengths?

Not Pinterest, but some blog I ran across years ago. I have my own method down to a science. There probably are links on Pinterest! I do get pretty good lengths Most of the time, each sleeve yields a decent-size ball, and the body a couple more for each side. Always get some small balls as well. The key is picking out a sweater with all pieces knit flat, then sewn together (exactly like dog food or cat litter bags, if they were machine-done). If the edges were sewn together, forget it. Then picking out sweaters in colors and fibers you actually want to work with. I've only found 1 cashmere that wasn't a ton of tiny threads, plus one cotton/cashmere blend. You can usually find some merinos and other wools and tons of acrylic. GAP and J Crew sweaters are among the best.

Guessing she's in the 8-11 age group?

Almost 14, actually. She was hard-core pink only until around the age of 10 or so, then has branched out, but always still liked pink. Now, she is anti-pink.

Next year, she gets cash. I've decided to alternate years. I'm not really happy about exclusively giving gift certificates or cash, but for teens that I don't live with, it's the way it is.

Nice plan! And thanks for the link to SMASH folio - I think my daughter would like something like that. She thinks diaries are for babies, but this goes into cool journal/scrapbook territory. I've been struggling to figure out some ideas for her other than clothes and $$ for her iPod Touch savings.

The boys are so much easier:
NanoBlocks http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/e8ca/
Nerf http://www.etsy.com/listing/67669740/steampunk-gun-nerf-maverick-n-strike?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=steampunk+nerf&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

I got one of the Smash folios for myself. Haven't used it a lot, but it's fun. If you get her one, you can beef it up with extra pen/glue stick combos (they come in pink & blue as well as the black), Japanese Washi tape  (patterned masking tape - this place has the best prices/shipping that I've found: cutetape), etc.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark." - Lord John Whorfin

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »

Laetitia that Owl bag is so adorable!!

Thanks! I need to pull out my stash of fabric scraps and make a couple more. A couple of my artsier friends and are going to be swapping bags/toys for jewelry. I'm pretty tickled about getting to spend time instead of money for a few presents.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »

If the edges were sewn together, forget it. Then picking out sweaters in colors and fibers you actually want to work with. I've only found 1 cashmere that wasn't a ton of tiny threads, plus one cotton/cashmere blend. You can usually find some merinos and other wools and tons of acrylic. GAP and J Crew sweaters are among the best.

I find the same thing with sweaters for felting. Gap, J Crew, Ralph Lauren are my best bets for good wool, cashmere and angora. They shrink evenly. Of course, half the cashmere blends I get ends up being snagged by my daughter as soon as they've been felted, and never make it to the cupcake/puppet/toy/pillow making phase.

For the hat edge, is it something you could do with yarn and a blanket stitch? Or even use regular yarn needle to make a chain stitch as edge?

latebloomer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »

For the hat edge, is it something you could do with yarn and a blanket stitch? Or even use regular yarn needle to make a chain stitch as edge?

I could. I could even do a knitted edge. But I'm going to force myself to do the crochet one - it's the only way to learn. That or I'm a masochist.

Someone sent me a box of fabric, and I doubt I could ever use it all. I can send you some.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »

I could. I could even do a knitted edge. But I'm going to force myself to do the crochet one - it's the only way to learn. That or I'm a masochist.

Love it! That's the same mentality that gets me into half the stuff I do.  8)

Someone sent me a box of fabric, and I doubt I could ever use it all. I can send you some.

I will gladly exchange amigurumi creations (crocheted critters) for fabric. Have even seen some cute cat toy patterns.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »

latebloomer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »

Not quite done yet, but got through the hardest part of the hat I'm making for my honorary nephew for giftmas:

I should be done by the weekend (trying not to put too much pressure on myself - what's left to do is about 1.5 movies-worth of knitting).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Christmas Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.