Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Christian Anarchy Mirror For Deletion Protection
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christian Anarchy Mirror For Deletion Protection  (Read 2795 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Christian Anarchy Mirror For Deletion Protection
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »

Re-post here if you think your post might get deleted from Gene's personal thread.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Christian Anarchy Mirror For Deletion Protection
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »

Gene, "hate" is too strong a word to describe how people feel about you, but you are a bore.  You complain about people not giving you a platform for you to preach endlessly and repetitively about the same subject that they're just not interested in.  I believe it's the reason you're lately getting the label "troll" on the forum as well.  Not sure I agree with that label exactly, but it's along the same lines.  They're both descriptions of people desperate for the ear of people who just aren't interested in what they have to say.

I was in the chat room the night Nick gave his surprising (to Ian; not me) answer that there is a general air of "hostility" to Christians here in Keene.  I almost agreed with Nick myself if not for the overly strong word.  But I also said in the chat room that the (better described as) negative reactions of many people to Christians are often justified.  Let me be perfectly clear.

Libertarian (small 'L' also) Christians, like yourself, are not trying to push their beliefs on anyone with violence.  Like you, some are just bores.  It's just annoying and makes them unpleasant to be around, at least when they're in that mode.  I like many Christians, but I won't deny that I have to suppress a groan when the same subject comes up time and again.  Note that most of them here in NH aren't like that, actually, Nick included.  Some of my fellow Quakers are Christians, but by virtue of the Quaker process, they are also NOT preachy about it.  A Quaker would never tell others that their personal beliefs are the ONLY sensible beliefs.  So it's important to note that Christian does not necessarily equal a bore.  If someone seems obsessive about a subject that I consider a really silly belief, be it crop circles, 9/11 Truth, chem trails, lizard people, Christianity, or LoA, I may express my honest opinion about how silly I consider those things to be.  You might call that "hostility" toward people with those beliefs but it's far from violent.  Such behavior is just tedious.  Why should anyone endure it?  It may seem impolite to be tactless about ones views of someone's beliefs, but it's also impolite to be a bore.  It may not justify the tactlessness but surely you realize that the patience of imperfect people can wear thin.

I feel that you, like many Christians with a victim complex, have unreasonable expectations of others; a sense of entitlement to a platform for their speech, a welcome and patient ear, and to be exempt from criticism.  You are entitled to none of that.

I honestly am not trying to be hyperbolic.  I'm giving an absolutely honest assessment of the situation.  This tedious discussion has been ongoing for quite sometime so it feels necessary to be as straight-forward and honest as possible.

If you want to prove me wrong about my assessment, start a podcast of your own.  People who are interested in what you have to say will have easy access to it.  I guarantee you will get a little free promotion from FTL, at least a chance to call in and give the URL.  I bet you could even get it played on LRN if you update it with enough new content.

T0M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:35:55 PM »

"Christian" LoL Christians...

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »

Wow!  Dalebert, did you really think I would delete that???  You really haven't read my thread have you?  There's many more offensive posts than yours that I have not deleted...

In fact, I don't delete someone's opinions as I believe in the free exchange of ideas.  I will delete any post that I feel is just there to offend.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:15:52 PM by ChristianAnarchist »

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »

Wow!  Dalebert, did you really think I would delete that???  You really haven't read my thread have you?

Of course not.  I just told you I'm not interested in most of what you have to say.  All I know is you deleted something I said because I made a joke about raping you that was obviously meant to satirize the notion that you might feel unsafe... on a web forum... with words.  That was an opinion also.

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »

Wow!  Dalebert, did you really think I would delete that???  You really haven't read my thread have you?

Of course not.  I just told you I'm not interested in most of what you have to say.  All I know is you deleted something I said because I made a joke about raping you that was obviously meant to satirize the notion that you might feel unsafe... on a web forum... with words.  That was an opinion also.

Yeah, and I felt it was there to offend.  I'm certainly not afraid of you raping me...

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »

I can't imagine how the message could be more clear...the routine is tired, and threats to go away have not been followed up.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »

All I know is you deleted something I said because I made a joke about raping you that was obviously meant to satirize the notion that you might feel unsafe... on a web forum... with words.  That was an opinion also.

Yeah, and I felt it was there to offend.  I'm certainly not afraid of you raping me...

Look at the context.  The point was you feeling unsafe in an Internet forum based on words people type and therefore conducting all of your conversations in a thread where you can delete anything that offends you.  It was a humorous parody using what would be an actual "vicious attack" as a metaphor that of course never happened, i.e. you're not really the eternal victim you make yourself out to be.  People just disagree with you strongly and sometimes they're not very tactful about saying so.  That it offended you is beside the point that it was an effective metaphor.

It would make your experience on this forum and the Internet in general a lot more tolerable if you would grow a thicker skin and a sense of humor.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »

As I've admitted that I haven't read a lot of your stuph or heard many of your calls to FTL, I think the bulk of my evaluation of you as a bore is based on your whiny attitude when people don't want to listen to you, like when Ian lets other callers go first or doesn't keep you on as long as you want, and also, when you make yourself out to be a victim when people respond negatively to what you have to say.

If I've made assumptions that aren't true, like whether you proselytize a lot about Christianity, I'd point to your chosen handle and the name of the thread that you admit contains 90% of your posts and ask if that's really surprising.  It sounds two-faced to complain that people think you're obsessed with a certain subject when that subject is in your handle and a 240 page thread that you spend 90% of your time in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Christian Anarchy Mirror For Deletion Protection

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.