Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Christian Anarchy is the only sensible answer...
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 210   Go Down

Author Topic: Christian Anarchy is the only sensible answer...  (Read 543275 times)

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Anarchy is the only sensible answer...
« Reply #1800 on: April 20, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »

Well, I bounce around in other topics, and other forums... I can't really respond to people shouting at each other in words I don't use. There's certainly no point in me getting into a debate of Bible criticism with an atheist because neither of use accept it as infallible

I understand, but I would suggest that this is what "pretending" and "imagination" is for. ;)  I "pretend something is true" for the sake of the discussion all the time, and I know lots of people do on this BBS also.

Look at Markuzick.... total atheist but he often speaks from the assumption god exists when trying to make some points, particularly about man's "proper morality."
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

ladyattis

« Reply #1801 on: April 20, 2007, 11:45:13 AM »

The mind is what allows us to have hope in the future, a belief in something real, not unreal. That kind of hope I can take to the bank, faith I cannot.

-- Brede
Semantics.

Everything is semantics. By virtue of the fact that everything that is defined comes from the integration of a percept into a concept. To integrate a concept, you have to know at least two different units from which you can identify the concept by, and to form its definition. Therefore, knowledge is based on semantics, thus as corollary all propositions are  about semantics.  Btw, we call that QED.

* Brede draws the square.
[ ]

-- Brede
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:47:20 AM by ladyattis »

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
« Reply #1802 on: April 20, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »

The mind is what allows us to have hope in the future, a belief in something real, not unreal. That kind of hope I can take to the bank, faith I cannot.

-- Brede
Semantics.

Everything is semantics. By virtue of the fact that everything that is defined comes from the integration of a percept into a concept. To integrate a concept, you have to know at least two different units from which you can identify the concept by, and to form its definition. Therefore, knowledge is based on semantics, thus as corollary all propositions are  about semantics.  Btw, we call that QED.

[ ]

-- Brede

I'm feeling a little inundated, in that I know you are refering to concepts with huge information payloads that I don't have... but on the surface I think I agree.

But I believe semantics are a tool for integrating concept in dialog, not integral to a concept in and of itself. To the individual, for example AbsurdParadox's conception of god, the concept exists without definition or identification... it's only when he tries to convey the concept that the failing semantics reveals his lack of clarity... which is not a failure, but a work in progress.
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

ChristianAnarchist

• God is a reality - you are a concept...
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Question Authority - Beware the cult of government
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bang Theory - In the beginning there was nothing... which exploded...
« Reply #1803 on: April 20, 2007, 01:06:12 PM »

My desire is not to ridicule you, but I am not obligated to respect the Bible or belief in it.  If you find that I believe in something you consider to be obviously non-factual and immoral, you are welcome to point it out to me. 

I'm sure there are all kinds of "non-factual" things (at least in the scientific sense) that you "believe" in.  How about "love", "beauty", "admiration" (add many others here)?

None of these are "scientific" nor can their existence be "proven", yet I bet you never even question their "existence"...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:10:57 PM by ChristianAnarchist »

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: April 20, 2007, 01:30:20 PM »

Well, I bounce around in other topics, and other forums... I can't really respond to people shouting at each other in words I don't use. There's certainly no point in me getting into a debate of Bible criticism with an atheist because neither of use accept it as infallible

I understand, but I would suggest that this is what "pretending" and "imagination" is for. ;)  I "pretend something is true" for the sake of the discussion all the time, and I know lots of people do on this BBS also.

Look at Markuzick.... total atheist but he often speaks from the assumption god exists when trying to make some points, particularly about man's "proper morality."

Only to make the point that Man's proper morality is inherent to his nature, regardless of his origin, and also to make the corollary point that a loving God would not command Man to follow a morality that was in conflict with his God given nature. A loving God would respect his creation by allowing Man to make mistakes and discover morality for himself nor would he interfere with, thereby destroying, Man's purpose for living, which is the pleasure and happiness he derives from using his God given faculties to overcome evil in his instinctive drive toward safety, survival and prosperity.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: April 20, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »

Only to make the point that Man's proper morality is inherent to his nature, regardless of his origin, and also to make the corollary point that a loving God would not command Man to follow a morality that was in conflict with his God given nature.

I totally agree with this, and I think that's the tradition Islamic stance on morality, nature, and God's command.

A loving God would respect his creation by allowing Man to make mistakes and discover morality for himself
Clearly he does, because we do. If didn't allow it, we wouldn't be able to do that. In fact the Quran commands this, and forbids blind acceptance, instructing us over and over to reflect. Although it's posed as a question, "Do you not reflect?"

Nor would he interfere with, thereby destroying, Man's purpose for living, which is the pleasure and happiness he derives from using his God given faculties to overcome evil in his instinctive drive toward safety, survival and prosperity.
I'm not sure I accept this as a purpose for living, but a function of nature which preserves life. If God exists, and he interferes, it can only be to return man to his purpose for living. Further, If God exists, and created man, the purpose of living in His to define not ours. Although we are free, as you said, to reject that purpose, and create our own.

I don't accept the word "evil" to describe man's instinctive drive stuff. Original sin is a uniqly Christian concept (as far as I know). Muslims believe in something called "naffs" the lower soul, which is not evil, it just desires the pleasure and happiness of this world, which is good, in fact neccassary for the preservation of life, which is one purpose. But they also believe in the "Ruh" the higher soul, whose purpose is to seek and know God.
~Prophet Muhammad

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: April 20, 2007, 01:49:20 PM »

Look at Markuzick.... total atheist but he often speaks from the assumption god exists when trying to make some points.

Markuzick,
I hope you don't mind me argueing with this premise, at least with you. I assumed this was true.
~Prophet Muhammad

BKO

• FTL unAMPlifier Aluminum
  • Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: April 20, 2007, 04:30:59 PM »

I find myself in complete agreement with Ladyattis, and instead of making my own comments, I will just acknowledge what she said. I am no way near as well spoken, of course...and I am certainly rough around the edges, and I apologize for that.

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: April 20, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »

Only to make the point that Man's proper morality is inherent to his nature, regardless of his origin, and also to make the corollary point that a loving God would not command Man to follow a morality that was in conflict with his God given nature.

I totally agree with this, and I think that's the tradition Islamic stance on morality, nature, and God's command.

A loving God would respect his creation by allowing Man to make mistakes and discover morality for himself
Clearly he does, because we do. If didn't allow it, we wouldn't be able to do that. In fact the Quran commands this, and forbids blind acceptance, instructing us over and over to reflect. Although it's posed as a question, "Do you not reflect?"

Nor would he interfere with, thereby destroying, Man's purpose for living, which is the pleasure and happiness he derives from using his God given faculties to overcome evil in his instinctive drive toward safety, survival and prosperity.
I'm not sure I accept this as a purpose for living, but a function of nature which preserves life. If God exists, and he interferes, it can only be to return man to his purpose for living. Further, If God exists, and created man, the purpose of living in His to define not ours. Although we are free, as you said, to reject that purpose, and create our own.

If God created this "function of nature which preserves life" which I refer to as Man's nature and which gives him as a reward for successful use of his faculties, primarily Man's capacity for rational and purposeful thought and deed, pleasure, satisfaction, relief from pain and sadness, joy, admiration and love, aesthetic inspiration and happiness, then these "spiritual" rewards for achievement must be Man's purpose for living. To deny this purpose would be to put morality into conflict with Man's God given nature.

I don't accept the word "evil" to describe man's instinctive drive stuff. Original sin is a uniqly Christian concept (as far as I know). Muslims believe in something called "naffs" the lower soul, which is not evil, it just desires the pleasure and happiness of this world, which is good, in fact neccassary for the preservation of life, which is one purpose. But they also believe in the "Ruh" the higher soul, whose purpose is to seek and know God.

I know very little where the Bible is concerned, so please excuse me if I'm mistaken, but I thought that the concept of original sin started with the Jews, in their book of Genesis and its story about Adam and Eve and the doctrine that all descendents of Adam are cursed by God with original sin.

As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

dharveymi

• Power to da people
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
    • To Da People
« Reply #1809 on: April 20, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »

Only to make the point that Man's proper morality is inherent to his nature, regardless of his origin, and also to make the corollary point that a loving God would not command Man to follow a morality that was in conflict with his God given nature. A loving God would respect his creation by allowing Man to make mistakes and discover morality for himself nor would he interfere with, thereby destroying, Man's purpose for living, which is the pleasure and happiness he derives from using his God given faculties to overcome evil in his instinctive drive toward safety, survival and prosperity.

The only concept I recognize in here is God.  Who said that the nature we have is a God given nature.  Doesn't sin affect a person's nature.  Every time a person does anything his character is changed; if he does good, it's changed for the good; if he does bad, it's changed towards evil.  Why do you then blame (credit) God with man's nature.

I also like your interpretation of man's purpose for living.  If that was my purpose for living, I would seriously consider suicide.

dharveymi

• Power to da people
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
    • To Da People
« Reply #1810 on: April 20, 2007, 11:14:07 PM »

I find myself in complete agreement with Ladyattis, and instead of making my own comments, I will just acknowledge what she said. I am no way near as well spoken, of course...and I am certainly rough around the edges, and I apologize for that.

You were not apologizing to me.  No way!

But, if you were, right back at you.

dharveymi

• Power to da people
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
    • To Da People
« Reply #1811 on: April 20, 2007, 11:25:04 PM »

-- Brede
Semantics.

[ ]

-- Brede
Big words, difficult concepts, head spinning.  Faith is based in the real not the unreal.  What is the unreal?  Is it like the undead, no that's another thread.

Seriously, the real problem you have with people like me is that you insist that nothing outside of the realm of observability, repeatability, testability, etc. is real.  This is demonstrably foolish, besides religion, history doesn't exist in this realm.  We don't exist in this realm, and certainly any sufficiently powerful being would not exist in this realm.  Please get over your bad self.

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: April 20, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »

The only concept I recognize in here is God.  Who said that the nature we have is a God given nature.  Doesn't sin affect a person's nature.  Every time a person does anything his character is changed; if he does good, it's changed for the good; if he does bad, it's changed towards evil.  Why do you then blame (credit) God with man's nature.

If you're saying that Man's character is changed by his deeds, then that itself would be one of the characteristics of Man's God given nature.

I also like your interpretation of man's purpose for living.  If that was my purpose for living, I would seriously consider suicide.

Then what is your purpose for living, if not the spiritual rewards inherent to the exercise of your God given faculties?

dharveymi

• Power to da people
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
    • To Da People
« Reply #1813 on: April 20, 2007, 11:37:17 PM »

My desire is not to ridicule you, but I am not obligated to respect the Bible or belief in it.  If you find that I believe in something you consider to be obviously non-factual and immoral, you are welcome to point it out to me. 
Really! Hard to imagine, all this has been inadvertent. 

If I do, I would certainly approach you with much more respect than I have been afforded.  That's all I'm saying.  Is it possible, that maybe I have a unique perspective, or barring that that people in general are due a little respect even if their beliefs are silly.

Have I tried to ram my beliefs down anyone's throat?  Have I threatened anyone with violence?  Why is every other post about how silly, irrational, stupid, or immoral I am because I claim to be a Christian?

dharveymi

• Power to da people
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
    • To Da People
« Reply #1814 on: April 20, 2007, 11:41:13 PM »

Wow, this got real nasty real fast.

Aren't we all "pro-liberty" people here, regardless of "faith" or "skepticism?" 

Harvey: You believe in the bible and have faith in the existence of God.
In case you hadn't noticed, I was responding to the usual Christians are stupid, irrational, immoral, and crazy crap, that passes for civil discourse on this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 210   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Christian Anarchy is the only sensible answer...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.