Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Childless Tax
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Childless Tax  (Read 56575 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Childless Tax
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2010, 11:42:32 AM »

We're going to see more of the same fertility trend: developed countries reproduce less, and undeveloped countries keep producing (until they become more developed), thus picking up the gap, but overall, slowing the increase until it caps somewhere fairly "reasonable."

My problem with all this is the people who "should have not children"  are typically the people having children (this is not an ethical comment--it's a comment on the thought processes that lead to or are absent in having children), and the gene pool is getting polluted.  Fortunately, most significant genetic changes don't occur in 50 years, so it's probably a minor effect.

Addendum
added important and missing "not" to "should have children"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:28:27 AM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »

We're going to see more of the same fertility trend: developed countries reproduce less, and undeveloped countries keep producing (until they become more developed), thus picking up the gap, but overall, slowing the increase until it caps somewhere fairly "reasonable."

My problem with all this is the people who "should have children"  are typically the people having children (this is not an ethical comment--it's a comment on the thought processes that lead to or are absent in having children), and the gene pool is getting polluted.  Fortunately, most significant genetic changes don't occur in 50 years, so it's probably a minor effect.

Don't you mean the people who should have children are not having children?  A while back I read an article on the psychology of why famine and war torn areas have increased childbirth rates.   Because it seems counter intuitive to produce more children than you could possibly hope to care for.   Whereas people in places that could support more children tend to have fewer.   The main reason given was a statistical one.   With each additional child the chances of your line continuing is increased even against the long odds of survival.   

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »

My problem with all this is the people who "should have children"  are typically the people having children (this is not an ethical comment--it's a comment on the thought processes that lead to or are absent in having children), and the gene pool is getting polluted.  Fortunately, most significant genetic changes don't occur in 50 years, so it's probably a minor effect.

Don't you mean the people who should have children are not having children?  A while back I read an article on the psychology of why famine and war torn areas have increased childbirth rates.   Because it seems counter intuitive to produce more children than you could possibly hope to care for.   Whereas people in places that could support more children tend to have fewer.   The main reason given was a statistical one.   With each additional child the chances of your line continuing is increased even against the long odds of survival.  

More or less.  Thanks for noticing.  I meant the people who shouldn't have them are having them.  I've adjusted my comment.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2010, 12:23:46 AM »

LOL current trends.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Childless Tax

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 31 queries.