Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Childless Tax
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Childless Tax  (Read 56332 times)

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
Re: Childless Tax
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2010, 10:42:12 AM »

This thread brings out the environmentalist in me. As I've said before, there are environmental benefits to lower populations. Lets pretend, for a moment, that at the end of the day, the Al Gores of the world are right. And lets say that in response to those warnings, the market comes up with Cars, trucks, planes, Buses, ships, homes, & buildings that cut their pollution by, oh lets say 20%. And lets pretend that in 10 years time, all of our homes, buildings & vehicles around the World put out 20% less pollution per unit.

If the world population grows in that time by 20%, that means we'll have 20% more Cars, trucks, planes, Buses, ships, homes, & buildings to accommodate all those extra people on this already crowded (from a global warming standpoint) planet, thus Negating any progress we may have made to reduce our pollution output. And we're back to square one.

With that in mind, if the greenies do take over, I want the fact that I'm childless & don't plan on having any kids to be my License to drive any gas guzzling sports car, truck, or SUV I want, take as many long haul Business or First Class flights around the world I want, & take as long a shower I want at any time, with my thermostat set at 69 degrees, (like I pretty much do already, lol) without any tax penalty!  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:44:45 AM by Karrde188 »

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »

Global warming is real, population reduction won't happen, and the only solution is space colonization.

Which private companies should stand ready to implement, thus freeing billions of people from state control.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »

Let me correct myself: If global warming is all Humanity's fault....

Alex Libman

« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2010, 05:07:28 PM »

Environmentalism is bullshit - this solar system alone can support trillions.  The reason why I stopped worrying about demographic collapse so much isn't because it isn't a very serious problem for humanity, but because human beings are idiots.  Those monkey-brained meat-bags cannot be the driving force of civilization for much longer!

;)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »

Earth and all its people: love it or leave it.

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2010, 05:06:28 AM »

Humans are the larval stage of an eventual machine race. :)
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2010, 09:59:39 PM »

.[youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGnfKnfY6EM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGnfKnfY6EM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:28:28 AM by Rillion »

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2010, 05:45:50 AM »

Maybe the Earth itself is one giant tragedy of the commons, but according to the data I have read, the Earths population is set to go down starting in 2050. That figure is based on current trends and doesn't take into account unforeseen events that are inevitable like war, disease, or the invention of male birth control.

America is treading water, and Europe has been on the decline as a whole. Japan already peaked, and Chinas one child only policy worked. A middle class person in the Western world has a car, but someone who just moved out of the poverty line in Sierra Leone isn't about to go out and buy a car.

So, I don't really see a problem.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2010, 06:40:21 AM »

Maybe the Earth itself is one giant tragedy of the commons, but according to the data I have read, the Earths population is set to go down starting in 2050. That figure is based on current trends and doesn't take into account unforeseen events that are inevitable like war, disease, or the invention of male birth control.

America is treading water, and Europe has been on the decline as a whole. Japan already peaked, and Chinas one child only policy worked. A middle class person in the Western world has a car, but someone who just moved out of the poverty line in Sierra Leone isn't about to go out and buy a car.

They're going to invent male birth control?

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »

In pill form by 2012 or '13.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2010, 03:52:56 PM »

In pill form by 2012 or '13.

Rubbers aren't male birth control?

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »

They are, but it would sure be nice for guys to have the same option women currently do-- use condoms and the pill, but once in an established clean relationship go with the pill only. 

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »

They are, but it would sure be nice for guys to have the same option women currently do-- use condoms and the pill, but once in an established clean relationship go with the pill only. 

Of course, I wouldn't want it stopped, but I'm wondering if that will have the unintended effect on STD transfer rates.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2010, 04:54:51 PM »

Of course, I wouldn't want it stopped, but I'm wondering if that will have the unintended effect on STD transfer rates.

I don't think it would.  Those couples who will be willing to rely on the male pill without a condom in the future are most likely the ones relying on the female pill without a condom today.   A male pill will allow them to either transfer the primary birth control to the male if they wish, or double-up on pregnancy prevention by having both on the pill.  I don't imagine that many people who currently use condoms for STD prevention would stop doing so if given access to a male pill if they haven't already done so for the female version. 

Alex Libman

« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »

Fertility rates are falling a lot faster than that original "peak out at ~2050" estimate.  In every part of the world we can see examples of more developed countries that are already at below-replacement fertility, and their more backward neighbors will be just like them shortly.  And religion ain't gonna do zilch in the long term - Catholic parts of Europe and North America are actually experiencing the lowest fertility rates now, and that's a religion that explicitly forbids contraception, Islam does not!  Contraception can be imported into a country very quickly, and -- WHAM -- fertility rates can go from those of Afghanistan (5.6) or Laos (4.41) to those of Iran (1.71) or Thailand (1.65) - and once they go down they stay down indefinitely.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:18:31 PM by Alex Libman »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Childless Tax

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.