Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  CHARTARUM soundtrack available for sale! (Any minute/hour now)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: CHARTARUM soundtrack available for sale! (Any minute/hour now)  (Read 6675 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions

It will be listed on iTunes, Rhapsody, Zune, and Napster.

I don't know when it will be up, as the service we used is an aggregator of some kind so it might take a couple days.

I also don't know exactly what the pricing is, apart from iTunes. iTunes is charging something like $9.99 for it I guess.

14 tracks of fun, not crappy tunes.

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
Re: CHARTARUM soundtrack available for sale! (Any minute/hour now)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »

Somebody let me know when a torrent is available. Thanks!

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »

That was your 200th post.

Amazing Richard

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »

That was your 200th post.

Who is he, John? I think he is very funny. Is this a new handle this person is using? I don't remember a "Big McLargeHuge", before.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »

He is a different user IIRC, but I cant remember who right now.

Usually I pirate my music, but this is John Shaw we're talking about, and with small time artists you have to give them their due.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

The Green Bastard

• From Parts Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:59:49 PM »

Sorry for trolling :)

I'm trying to get a handle on that.

Amazing Richard

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:00:40 AM »

Sorry for trolling :)

I'm trying to get a handle on that.

Who are you?

Amazing Richard

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 12:05:53 AM »

He is a different user IIRC, but I cant remember who right now.

Usually I pirate my music, but this is John Shaw we're talking about, and with small time artists you have to give them their due.

It costs money to get yer shit on iTunes. I looked into it a while back, when I was considering exploiting my oh so cool cigarette smoking voice to do some readings of the Brothers Grimm stories, and try to make a buck off it.

I was very disappointed when I found out I had to pay money to some "digital distributor", just to get shit on iTunes, so I didn't do it.

It's the same shit. The internet was supposed to get rid of the "middle man"....but it's the same shit.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:11:19 AM by Princess Pubella »

Alex Libman

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 01:29:18 AM »

Yeah, I suspect you would have made more money by telling those 20th century middlemen to go fuck themselves and distributing it yourself. But I got my copy at PorcFest...

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »

Yeah, I suspect you would have made more money by telling those 20th century middlemen to go fuck themselves and distributing it yourself. But I got my copy at PorcFest...

I  agree.  Slap it on a website and offer paypal or any other checkout option.  I somehow missed getting it at PorcFest and use none of those services.

Oh well, as they say, you can't please all the people all the time. :)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »

I  agree.  Slap it on a website and offer paypal or any other checkout option.  I somehow missed getting it at PorcFest and use none of those services.

Oh well, as they say, you can't please all the people all the time. :)

Easy to say when you don't have to do all the work. Besides, after the turnout at Porcfest, frankly I don't give a damn about the liberty crowd when it comes to sales at this point. 1000+ people, we were selling a mug, soundtrack and free beer for five days, ALL FOR TEN BUCKS, and 60 people ponied up. SIXTY. FUCKING. PEOPLE.

We then did a spot with Gardner Goldsmith, who had listened to the soundtrack and loved it, and we offered to MAIL people the leftover porcfest editions of the soundtrack for SIX BUCKS, and we got two sales.

Fuck that noise. You wanna buy, you know where it is. The people who've listened to the thing have said they like it and maybe the rest of the world will be willing to pay up.

This isn't directed at you or error, slayerboy, I'm just annoyed because I've bent over backward to get the damned thing into people's hands, and nothing but FREE BUT YOU CAN DONATE HAR HAR HAR or PAY FOR HOSTING, SET UP A SITE, LEARN HOW TO MAKE A STORE, AND MAYBE GET A SALE OR TWO seems to be a reasonable price to the liberty crowd. We spent six hours setting this shit up. At Mel's pay scale, we'd have to sell 30 copies just to pay for her labor just getting the thing listed. It would have taken even longer to set up our own store.

The suggestion that setting up four outlets with various ways to purchase the thing is somehow making things difficult for the customer is frankly insulting.

One thing I know for sure is that I'd never, ever just put out an album for people to buy. Releasing a soundtrack is ultimately helpful to the film, which is a much larger project, but there's no way I'd ever just make music for people to enjoy for its own sake. Not worth the effort.

EDIT: Special thanks to all the people who bought the soundtrack and I hope you enjoy it. I'm not shitting on the people who did pay up, and I hope you feel like you got something of equivalent or greater value than what you paid for.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:12:41 PM by John Shaw »

ForumTroll

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 02:01:04 PM »

Easy to say when you don't have to do all the work. Besides, after the turnout at Porcfest, frankly I don't give a damn about the liberty crowd when it comes to sales at this point. 1000+ people, we were selling a mug, soundtrack and free beer for five days, ALL FOR TEN BUCKS, and 60 people ponied up. SIXTY. FUCKING. PEOPLE.

Don't feel too bad. I don't think we had more than around 100 customers. Lots of repeat sales, though.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »

Don't feel too bad. I don't think we had more than around 100 customers. Lots of repeat sales, though.

Yeah, but were you able to recoup your costs?

ForumTroll

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »

Yeah, but were you able to recoup your costs?

My other half did, but me...no.

Honestly, I think 60 sales is pretty good for this kind of product in the kind of venue it was. I don't think any bands playing at Porcfest would have sold that many CD's in comparison.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  CHARTARUM soundtrack available for sale! (Any minute/hour now)

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.