Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Census bullshit
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Census bullshit  (Read 21607 times)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: Census bullshit
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2010, 03:02:26 AM »

I am upset because he is a statist. Note that in the quote above he is apologizing on the behalf of the government.

Then I take back what I said about joking.

Fuck that guy.

:-P

I like "sorry for your loss" as opposed to "sorry the census worker fucked it up--you can call this number to make a claim..."

As if it were an "act of god" scenario.

Tragic but unavoidable that your window was smashed sir.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Pilot_MKN

• Take to the Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »

My other act of Census defiance was "modifying" some of the Census propaganda posters they put up around my college campus.

I had some jumbo-sized post-it notes so I took a thick sharpie and wrote a little note reminding everyone that the Census was used to throw Japanese Americans into Internment Camps and to profile Muslim neighborhoods.

The next day, my notes were gone, so I just ripped the poster down and tossed it in the trash.

Im going to college in rural Mississippi, so I'm pretty sure most people around here would support those two census actions.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make the airplane"

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »

Okay, I seemed to be done with the census critters, but I guess I wasn't.  A different census critter showed up at my door moments ago.  

Here's how it went:

census critter: Hi...I'm here for the census....

me: Somebody already came.

census critter: Well...that person didn't get the number of people in the house.

me: I know.

census critter: Can I get that number?

me: (smiling) No. (closing door)

I was actually prepared to provide the number to the first guy, but he turned around and left without bargaining for it.  I resolved from the start I'd initially be nice, and if they push it, I will not.  I regard bothering me multiple times (like, four in the mail and two in person) as pushing it.

The next time, it will be "You're trespassing on private property.  Please leave."  I guess I'll be charging the camcorder battery and chasing them off the property with it, if there's a next time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:22:17 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2010, 01:40:40 AM »

Last Sunday we got back from grocery shopping and saw a man with the black bag leaving a note. I turned around and ran another errand. The note was on a form, telling me that he would come back in a couple of days and requesting that I call.

I expect to not be home much of Memorial Day weekend, so I expect he won't catch us home. I hope this invasion ends soon.

My wife is nervous and has asked me to fill out the form. Of course, she asked that if the guy comes back that I only talk to him outside. She doesn't want government people in our home either.

I just entertained myself by reading some of the US Census Bureau's web site. This quote caught my eye:

The U.S. is a large, very diverse country. We know people who are angry and scared about their economic state and questioning whether government is helping make things better. Many report very low levels of trust in basic institutions. Despite all these negative signs in our society today, we have seemed to come together and responded at unanticipated levels.

That shows some understanding of the motivations of those who do not respond. I am somewhat conflicted. Part of me would like to participate. I like the idea of historical information being accurate. I once used old census information to trace some of my own family history. He hit it on the head with that quote, though. At the most fundamental level I simply cannot trust any branch of the government with any small piece of my personal information.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Terror Australis

• Bitcoin Evangelist
  • FTL AMPlifier
  • People cannot be coerced into freedom.
    • View Profile
    • Bitcoin
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »

A challenger appears....
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/daily-fine-for-refusing-to-take-part-in-national-health-survey/story-e6freuzi-1225868408747

If i get called to answer this I will be living on a diet of KFC while running a marathon every day drinking copious amounts of alcohol and smoking cigarettes. lol

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:03:13 AM by Terror Australis »
User generated content + bitcoin = http://witcoin.com

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2010, 02:50:32 AM »

Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Riddler

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2010, 10:02:54 AM »

i actually laffed at that one.
good on you rillion

Pilot_MKN

• Take to the Skies
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »

I keep finding more and more Census posters on this campus. It's getting ridiculous. Today there was one on a teacher's door that had a little innocent looking kid and say '10 questions that can help' or some horse poo like that
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make the airplane"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Census bullshit

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.