Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Car crashes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Car crashes  (Read 17087 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Car crashes
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »

Would you stop to be a witness if you saw one?

If you didn't want to be a witness (and I can understand not wanting to be pulled in to a court case), would you at least inquire as to whether everyone is OK? Last time I saw a crash I did the latter part only, because of the former part. I calmed a lady down and called 911 for her, wasn't too serious a crash but she was hurt.

I was in a crash today and no one even rolled down their windows - even the people I (narrowly)managed to avoid! No one stopped except for the cops.

Also, if you are being referred to as "white boy" in a condescending way, from someone who has just caused a car accident involving you, how would you respond? I asked him why he was calling me "white boy". He seemed perplexed.

End result: one cop told me he had viewed the street camera footage which had caught the crash and that the other guy's story was a lie. I don't like the street cameras, but damn.. this one did me a favor! Have to admit I was pretty impressed with how quickly the footage was available.

The other guy claimed I had run the red light, which I didn't. He had made a (legal) right turn on red from a cross street all the way into the far left lane where I was traveling through the intersection on a green light.

I won't get my hopes up until all the stuff has been processed though.

All damage on the front passenger side: bumper, fender, signal, door, side mirror, broken tie rod, flattened tire, bent rim & probably more. Changed the tire after the crash & the tire is rubbing the wheel well pretty rough. Luckily this happened right across the street from the shop that has done repairs on my car previously so I didn't have to drive far. Luckier still, my kids weren't in the car.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Rillion

• View Profile
Re: Car crashes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:22 PM »

Since you didn't mention it, I guess you're okay?  Hope so, and yes it's good that the kids weren't in the car.  I hope also that the insurance hassle is....not so much of a hassle.  

The only time I've witnessed a car accident that I wasn't involved in was driving down an icy highway during a blizzard and the car behind us slid off the road...we pulled over to see if they needed anything, but they and their car were fine and drove right on.  I'd like to think that I'd pull over to help any time if I thought that it would be useful and it wouldn't be dangerous for me to do so.  If a few people had already pulled over I probably wouldn't, especially if I hadn't gotten a good view of what happened and so wouldn't be a decent witness.  

Street cameras do apparently have a use.  Until cars come standard with dashboard cams (which I wouldn't mandate, but sure would be nice) they can serve a pretty good purpose in terms of providing evidence.  

I don't know about the "white boy" thing.  I'd probably react similarly-- "Why are you calling me that?  Don't call me that."

ETA:  Actually something very similar to what you describe happened to me when I was in high school, except the guy who hit me on the passenger side claimed that-- wait for it-- the light was blue.  I don't know exactly what a blue stoplight indicates that you should do....apparently crash into a petrified girl trying to drive through an intersection with a green light. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:10:34 PM by Rillion »

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »

I would stop if I saw it happen and make sure the police were called, and do what I could do.  I would hope someone would at least make sure I was okay if it were me.  I'm glad you seem to be okay, and that your kids were not in the car.

Also, TRAFFIC cameras on the streets have a use.  Red light cameras and speed cameras are bullshit. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »

ETA:  Actually something very similar to what you describe happened to me when I was in high school, except the guy who hit me on the passenger side claimed that-- wait for it-- the light was blue.  I don't know exactly what a blue stoplight indicates that you should do....apparently crash into a petrified girl trying to drive through an intersection with a green light. 

lol

Yeah, I'm OK thank ya for asking. If it hadn't been a side-impact I'd be hurtin' though.

A couple of cops were down the way stuck in traffic, they're the only ones who stopped & I should also say they definitely helped out. No one was tased, no cocky bullshit, etc. I think many of "us" forget that a lot of those guys aren't the dog-shootin' type.

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »

I've seen, and been in a few crashed. Heard dozens of them tho.

When I was a kid, we lived in an apartment block next to a busy intersection, and there were accidents there at least every month. Usually, my brother would be the one to go out and check up on them to make sure no one needed an ambulance. It just got to the point where we would hear the crunch of an accident, and walk out to the corner, because the noise is so distinctive. Our cordless phone didn't extend coverage to the corner, but our neighbors did, and he called the paramedics more than once.

So, every couple of weeks, "crunch" and we would walk out with the neighbors, and his phone to see if anyone needed help. Today, everyone assumes everyone else has a cell phone, so people usually don't stop to help others, and its such a shame how cells make us more antisocial.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »

Since you didn't mention it, I guess you're okay?  Hope so, and yes it's good that the kids weren't in the car.  I hope also that the insurance hassle is....not so much of a hassle.  

The only time I've witnessed a car accident that I wasn't involved in was driving down an icy highway during a blizzard and the car behind us slid off the road...we pulled over to see if they needed anything, but they and their car were fine and drove right on.  I'd like to think that I'd pull over to help any time if I thought that it would be useful and it wouldn't be dangerous for me to do so.  If a few people had already pulled over I probably wouldn't, especially if I hadn't gotten a good view of what happened and so wouldn't be a decent witness.  

Street cameras do apparently have a use.  Until cars come standard with dashboard cams (which I wouldn't mandate, but sure would be nice) they can serve a pretty good purpose in terms of providing evidence.  

I don't know about the "white boy" thing.  I'd probably react similarly-- "Why are you calling me that?  Don't call me that."

I'm thinking it may indicate you've  taken some kind of chemical enhancement.

blackie

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »

I got in a "crash" on a highway during stop and go traffic. I was in a moving truck and got rear ended. I pulled over to make sure no one was hurt and check out the damage. It was almost impossible to get out of the truck because of all the traffic. Everyone was fine. The front bumper of the vehicle that hit me was crazy fucked up from the trailer hitch on the moving truck, but both vehicle still drove fine, and airbags didn't go off. No cops were called or showed up.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »

Actually something very similar to what you describe happened to me when I was in high school, except the guy who hit me on the passenger side claimed that-- wait for it-- the light was blue.  I don't know exactly what a blue stoplight indicates that you should do....apparently crash into a petrified girl trying to drive through an intersection with a green light. 

Well, a blue light means it's your fault, obviously.

Something like that happened to me in high school as well. I was trying to turn right here. As you can see, there's no right-turn lane, but the lane is wide enough that two cars can easily fit in it. So, planning on turning right on red, I got all the way over to the right and stopped at the stop line to wait my turn. Genius lady to my left decides to turn right, through me.

She claimed I "changed lanes and impacted her". Luckily somebody who had seen it did stop, noting that teenage boys tend to not get the benefit of the doubt.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:57:52 PM »

My brother hit a couple of teenage girls once.  One of the girls told the responding officer she had personally pushed the crosswalkre button.  The police report had a notation on the bottom: "There is no crosswalk at the intersection of X"  I think the insurance company settled for a small amount.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »

I was the passenger in a very traumatic accident as a kid once. 12 I think. Very traumatic, blood all over me, head into dashboard, stitches without anesthesia, etc.

Still cannot remember a good chunk of it to this day. It was blocked out of my memory.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »

Scam alert:

7 AM, morning after the crash, my phone starts ringing...

Me: 'lo ...

She: Hi dis Nicole. I'm calling on behaff uh Mistuh White. I calling to codeinate a time to bring you car to are shop. We hannle de appraishal, get you set up wit rental car & get your started on repairs what time can you bring it in?

Me: Well.. the car can't be driven at the moment, and it's already at the shop where I'd like the repairs to be done.

She: Well we come tow it to are shop and get you goin.

Me: Why would you tow it to another shop just to do an appraisal?

She: Well we get you set up with an appraishal and a renta car.

Me: Who is this?

She: Dis is City Body Shop.

Me: .... you're not the insurance company?

She: Naw.

Me: Why did you make it seem like you were working with Mr. White and was going to take care of the appraisal?

She: Naw. We work wit de inshernce compny I din say I wuz de inshernce compny. But we can git you goin!

Me: No. How'd you get this number?

She: Well we git de poeleese reeport and it got de numbres awn them.

Me: No.

The same company has called 4 times now. BBB has given them an F rating, google has a 1.5 star rating for them based on 17 reviews. Some of the reviewers have said the scam is this:

They tow your car to their lot & begin charging you storage. Then they make it seem like they have been appointed by the insurance company to do the repairs & get you to sign a contract that says they'll do the work. Best of all, the body shop will then do further damage to the car so the insurance company will have to pay out more.

Had a couple of calls from other body shops too but they weren't as sneaky as that one. Mailbox is also already beginning to present letters from lawyers & chiropractors.

Good news is that the other guys insurance is already on the ball, getting an appraiser out tomorrow, and had a rental car set up in a 5 minute phone call.

blackie

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »

Don't you drive qn older vw?

What is the blue book value, and how much do you think the repair bill will be?

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 07:03:49 PM »

Don't you drive qn older vw?

What is the blue book value, and how much do you think the repair bill will be?

Good call. Didn't even think of that.

Trade-In: $1,875
Private Party: $2,985
Suggested Retail: $4,560

No idea yet how much the repairs will be.

-The "ABS" dash light came on, which is a warning light for the Anti-Lock brakes
-bent rim, trashed tire & wheel cover
-front splash guard torn off
-front bumper may be able to just be repainted since it was more of a side impact
-front pass fender buckled on the outside
-front pass wheel well buckled on the inside, contact with tire exists
-front pass tie rod broken (can tell because of the mismatched angle between both front tires when turned sharply)
-front pass turn signal busted out
-front pass door damaged & won't open
-front pass side mirror casing busted
-front pass side mirror cracked
-inner center console lid broken off from my elbow

How much ya charge me to fix that stuff?

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 08:07:02 PM »

That suggested retail value above is for "Excellent" condition cars.. the option for "Good" seemed to be skipped for the suggested retail step for some reason.

So, that value is definitely off. Probably somewhere around 3,500 - 4K, maybe even less.

blackie

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »

I recently had a car stolen, and the insurance company paid "market value". They have a third party figure out what that is. I guess it depends on the state. It ended up being more than I thought it would be, but a little less than blue book.

I'm bringing this up because the first crash I ever had ened up totaling the car. It didn't seem that bad. I drove the car home, but the insurance company decided it would cost more to fix it than the car was worth. So they just gave us what the car was worth, and kept the car. It was my parents car.

I was a new driver, 16 or 17. I was going to pick up a couple pizzas with my girlfriend. Just as I was turning into the parking lot of the pizza place some lady in a SUV rear ended me. My car just missed a telephone pole and wetn into some bushes. I wasn't even sure what had happend. The lady that hit me was trying to blame me, asking to see my DL. As soon as the cop showed up, he said it was her fault. The cop let me go pick up the pizzas while he was talking to her and finishing up his report. She got a summons.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Car crashes

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.